Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

So, we are scheduled for our cruise March 25-April 1st On NCL. I am currently trying to decide whether to bring Macallan or leave him home. I’ve never stressed about traveling with him. I want to be able to relax and enjoy our vacation. I don’t want to short change my partner on enjoying our excursions. I’m very concerned about Macallan’s safety at ports regarding disease and stray dogs/animals. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are not “outdoorsy” but do enjoying sightseeing and animals/aquariums/zoos/easy water activities.

Most importantly, can someone help me navigate what is needed to allow Macallan at the following ports:

Cozemel, Mexico

Costa Maya, Mexico

Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

Harvest Caye, Belize

Thanks for the info. I've never heard about not being able to wear camo. What island is that?

I've been on several cruises without lox, but with this one being 5 days and having been to Cozumel several times before I'm not going to be all hurt if they don't let her off the ship. I figured this would be a good test cruise. I have an aft corner balcony cabin do I'm hoping they will put the box on the balcony. Any suggestions for getting her to use it? I've tried at several different airports and I get this "are you really serious" look right before she wants to sit down. I've had her on trifexis for several years now and annual rabies vaccines. I will bring the package insert in Spanish for the trifexis. My vet had no clue about the health cert so that was a bit of a headache but I think I have it taken care of.

My ex wife picked her name bc I picked the breed.

I have a shirt on pre order. "Keep calm. It's a service dog not a unicorn"

They just plugged in a room purifier outside of my office. The fresher air is good for Horton! :p And, although they've made Horton's space bigger it's still a bit congested when he doesn't lay in his crate or bed and decides to sprawl-out in the middle of the floor.

I'm very reluctant to take him into the bathroom with me and I don't take him in the staff kitchen. I have yet to explore the staff lounge which has recliners, sofa's, t.v.s, coffee, tea, candy, donuts, etc., etc. I could care less about their offerings but I do know that he has as much right as any other employee to go into these areas. I just don't need to push, not just yet!

I'm learning a whole new computer program [not being paid more], working for all the exec's and performing tasks I've never done before......again, did I mention; [NOT BEING PAID MORE!!!!] I had a talk with Horty about maybe staying home and enjoying the rest of our lives together......not worrying about other folks who really don't like us that much, anyway. We'll see, maybe it's time to get that hernia repaired and take some medical leave.....we'll see!

One thing is for sure, if I stay on the job.......Horty and I will be seen [slowly, but surely] in all the areas mentioned above! ;p

Have a wonderful, warm and dry weekend everyone ♥ It's a long weekend for a lot us.......enjoy!

My whole problem with this whole fiasco is, not that they are flexing their muscles with the one person that has a "butthurt" (that's what I consider it) about "our" Horty is, they are miserable, unsensitive people. I see it more and more. I had my doctors "Nurse" or whatever she is be completely out of line with me on the phone this week. Being as I am a state a way, I can't wait for appointment the end of February, my doctor will get an ear full of what she said to me. No one deserves the treatment that we are getting from others that think they are entitled and above everyone else. I want they old days of "respect" back. I treat people the way I want to be treated and expect the same.

My whole problem with this whole fiasco is, not that they are flexing their muscles with the one person that has a "butthurt" (that's what I consider it) about "our" Horty is, they are miserable, unsensitive people. I see it more and more. I had my doctors "Nurse" or whatever she is be completely out of line with me on the phone this week. Being as I am a state a way, I can't wait for appointment the end of February, my doctor will get an ear full of what she said to me. No one deserves the treatment that we are getting from others that think they are entitled and above everyone else. I want they old days of "respect" back. I treat people the way I want to be treated and expect the same.

Very well put.

I respect that some people are afraid or allergic to dogs and always try to not be in their space, but I expect respect in return.

In a hotel the room maid was terrified of dogs. She didn't say it and was so nice, but I could tell by her body language. I put Halo in the bathroom while she changed the beds. She couldn't stop thanking me. I totally didn't mind, she was so sweet about it.

Linda and Halo

I have some questions for all you service dog owners.

Firstly, I'm not picking an argument, just out of honest curiosity.

One question has to do with a certain airline's rule (Hawaiian Airlines) regarding flying with a service dog on a flight of 8 hours or more.

HA requires that the owner provide documentation stating that the dog will not relieve itself/relieve itself in a manner not to create a health/sanitation problem during a flight of 8 hrs or more.

How can a dog owner guarantee that the service dog can hold it that long? I don't know of any human who can hold it 8 hrs or more.

And how can a dog's potty break be handled on a long haul flight as stated by the airline?

I'm assuming this requirement might be an attempt to discourage bringing dogs on long hauls?

Another question I have is about how to politely let a dog owner know that I don't want to interact with their dog?

I do not enjoy being sniffed, licked, pawed, etc. What do you recommend a person say to a dog owner without coming across as hostile?

I'd say no responsible service dog handler would take a dog on an 8-hour flight unless that dog had been specifically trained to use a pee pad and is reliable at it.

Don't worry about service dogs touching you. Service dogs are trained to lie and stay and do not go around socializing with people unless their handlers allow and encourage it, and they as a rule don't. The dogs are working.

As for untrained emotional support or comfort dogs, you have to take your chances.

Hostile is a tone of voice. If someone politely says to me, with my pets, my service dog doesn't approach anyone he doesn't know or without permission, that animals make them uncomfortable. I am not offended. I don't understand, but it the same as I don't understand other political, religious views, but I respect them. If a person is offended and you have been polite, it is their problem.

I wouldn't hesitate to take Halo on a long flight. But he can hold it for close to twelve hours and when traveling he only goes when given permission. My worry would be lack of movement.

Linda and Halo

They placed the garden-mulch-filled box in the usual forward starboard crew area. Box was a little small, definitely not 4’ square, but she managed to fit diagonally! The next day, it was impossible to get to it since All the starboard side doors to the deck were locked or couldn’t open against the wind. A nice crew member came along, helped us get to the box, and suggested he could move the mix to the port side. That location worked out fine.

We have had Celebrity block the doors with a "closed due to high winds" ribbon, but they have never locked it. We just always went under the ribbon or took it down and had a crew member or some strong fellas open the door for my friend and her seeing eye dog. (The wind made it hard to open.) Once the deck was blocked due to embarkation and again we got a crew member to let us through.

One time they had a box way to small for the 75 pound Labrador. It was the size for a 25 pound dog! I told the crew member the urine would go on the floor, and the crew continued to insist it was fine. At that moment, Gary, the dog, lifted his leg on the box, and though his aim was fine, it went on the floor. Immediately the staff sent someone ashore to Home Depot to buy more wood to build a bigger box before we set sail. Celebrity has always been good to work with, once you find the right crew member.

Yep, that’s the place! On the Solstice class ships. Once they filled the box with sawdust and shavings that blew all over that corridor. My room steward finally arranged for mulch to be obtained halfway through.

HA requires that the owner provide documentation stating that the dog will not relieve itself/relieve itself in a manner not to create a health/sanitation problem during a flight of 8 hrs or more.

How can a dog owner guarantee that the service dog can hold it that long? I don't know of any human who can hold it 8 hrs or more.

And how can a dog's potty break be handled on a long haul flight as stated by the airline?

I'm assuming this requirement might be an attempt to discourage bringing dogs on long hauls?

Another question I have is about how to politely let a dog owner know that I don't want to interact with their dog?

I do not enjoy being sniffed, licked, pawed, etc. What do you recommend a person say to a dog owner without coming across as hostile?

8 hours really isn't an issue. Just timing. Go before entering airport. Get dog to a point where he tries and nothing comes out but a drip or two. Try again just before boarding. As soon as flight is over, make a beeline for relief area.

As for humans not being able to hold it - very possible. Ask any teacher.

Most dogs sense people who don't care for dogs. Real SDs should not lick, paw, etc.

If a dog is doing that, a simple "please control your dog" should do.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks to all who explained the long haul travel with dogs in the cabin.

When my pooches were living, they either traveled by car or were boarded. I never thought of trying to game the system in regards to flights & cruises because they were pets.

I've never seen so many foofy dogs in airports as I did this past holiday season. Sitting at tables in the food courts, etc. Not in pet carriers, etc.

Many people defend it because the Europeans do it. Yes, & I recall once in the Orly terminal the long poo trail left by an unsuspecting passenger's roll aboard. What a horrid surprise as one lifts their bag into the overhead compartment.

At the gate, there were several passengers with their yowling cats. At least they were in carriers. And thankfully, it was a short flight.

As for genuine service dogs, the only ones I've observed behave exactly as described by posters on this thread. Only observed guide dogs for the visually impaired, & they are awesome.

I was fortunate to have a college friend back in the day who taught me about her guide dog. My friends took me out to dinner for my birthday, & she wanted to bring the dog along. I was concerned because I thought the dog might beg for food or be pesky. She reassured me that would not happen, & it didn't.

The German Shepherd stayed under the table & behaved the entire time.

So I'm quite relaxed whenever I see a guide dog in places where pet dogs should never be.

Is the relief box located inside next to a windy exit to the out side deck, or placed on an out side deck in a crew area ? Also do you have the new address for the Bahamas? Thanks in advance.

Not sure what ship you are asking about and there are a lot of variations. I have never cruised when the box was placed inside the ship’s passenger areas next to an exit.

On Celebrity, it has been placed on the outside deck passengers can access (usually the deck where the lifeboats are located) - either placed against a bulkhead all the way forward with no overhead shelter, or else you walk through a crew-only corridor, also located forward on that deck, that leads to a little room used for equipment.

Either way, it is often very windy and can be very wet and slippery out there taking the dog to the box or to the crew corridor. In bad weather, it’s fairly common for the ship to close off access to those areas.

On Holland America ships, which have a complete promenade, some of the ships place the box on the promenade deck at the fully covered front area. Others place it one deck below, all the way aft at the stern overlooking the wake of the ship, in an open air covered crew area. I like that location because you can enter it from a normal narrow passenger hallway, and never need to walk in the pouring rain. But it probably would be a challenge in a wheelchair to handle the heavy crew door leading out to the stern location.

Most importantly, can someone help me navigate what is needed to allow Macallan at the following ports:

Cozemel, Mexico

Costa Maya, Mexico

Harvest Caye, Belize

The US Department of Agriculture has a veterinary division with a website listing country requirements when you export an animal. Google “APHIS Pet Travel” and you will find a drop down list of countries. Click the country you want and read the requirements very carefully to get an idea of what may be involved.

You will need to have the dog examined by an APHIS accredited veterinarian in your area close to your departure date, who will issue and sign the form 7001 health certificate, as well as any country-specific certificates. It’s a good idea to talk well ahead of time to that vet and be confident they are completely familiar with the paperwork needed. You may need to additionally send or take all that vet’s paperwork to a regional APHIS office to have it endorsed and stamped.

Always at minimum bring a current rabies certificate and a valid form 7001 (good for 30 days).

Edited by Caribbean Chris

We have had Celebrity block the doors with a "closed due to high winds" ribbon, but they have never locked it. We just always went under the ribbon or took it down and had a crew member or some strong fellas open the door for my friend and her seeing eye dog. (The wind made it hard to open.) Once the deck was blocked due to embarkation and again we got a crew member to let us through.

One time they had a box way to small for the 75 pound Labrador. It was the size for a 25 pound dog! I told the crew member the urine would go on the floor, and the crew continued to insist it was fine. At that moment, Gary, the dog, lifted his leg on the box, and though his aim was fine, it went on the floor. Immediately the staff sent someone ashore to Home Depot to buy more wood to build a bigger box before we set sail. Celebrity has always been good to work with, once you find the right crew member.

We also have had the tape up on a ship or 2. But when he's gotta go, we have no choice but to go around it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

I have some questions for all you service dog owners.

Firstly, I'm not picking an argument, just out of honest curiosity.

One question has to do with a certain airline's rule (Hawaiian Airlines) regarding flying with a service dog on a flight of 8 hours or more.

My first service dog made six round trips - Seattle/London - and my second service dog has made one trip so far. It really isn't that big a big deal.

We fly business class with British Airways and I know the form your talking about re: won't relieve themself on board. I think I might have even signed it once or twice.

Since we're always the first on and the last off, I'm usually looking at close to ten hours on the plane. Fourteen flights without a hiccup - maybe I shouldn't jinx it!

We're booked on a ten day Queen Elizabeth Alaskan cruise in June, 2019. I'm undecided about taking Nico with me. It's likely I'll be spending most of the time on the ship.

Hey y'all!

There is so much useful information in this thread, I wish I had the time to read all 980 pages of it :') I do have some questions about things I didn't see get addressed.

I am going on a 9 night cruise to New England & Canada in August with my service dog. I am an experienced cruiser but have never taken my service dog, Echo, with me. The last cruise I went on (January of 2017) a family member watched her and her sister Delta. It was a two week cruise with minimal internet access.. Tragedy struck and Delta broke her back and did not make it. It was a very traumatic experience and now I no longer travel anywhere long-distance without Echo.

We are staying in an ocean view room (no balcony) so where would the potty box go? Just in a custodians place or stairwell?

I also don't know Canada's laws & requirements about service dogs entering the country. I have spoken on the phone with RCCL & scoured the internet. They directed me to the internet searches and all that came up was stuff about pets. Are those requirements the same?

I am also worried about Echo getting seasick. She got sick (and puked ALL OVER) on a ferry to Catalina Island about 4 years. That was the first and last time she has been on a boat. Now I know cruise ships are not at all comparable to ferries and catamarans but I also know that sometimes you take ferries to certain ports and older ships may not have the same stabilizing power that new ships do. We are going on the Grandeur.. one of the oldest ships... I can't find a list (if there is one) of the ports that we taxi to and dock in. I am also worried about swaying at night... Seasickness suggestions?

Honestly, as I am typing this out, it may not be the best idea to take her because of so many 'what ifs'...... but I don't know if my heart could take leaving her again for 10 days with limited cell reception and wifi...

I hope y'all can understand where I am coming from. Any and all tips/info is appreciated.

Thank you so much! <3

So, we are scheduled for our cruise March 25-April 1st On NCL. I am currently trying to decide whether to bring Macallan or leave him home. I’ve never stressed about traveling with him. I want to be able to relax and enjoy our vacation. I don’t want to short change my partner on enjoying our excursions. I’m very concerned about Macallan’s safety at ports regarding disease and stray dogs/animals. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are not “outdoorsy” but do enjoying sightseeing and animals/aquariums/zoos/easy water activities.

Cozemel, Mexico

Costa Maya, Mexico

Harvest Caye, Belize

A recent Vet visit whereby he/she states that your dog has had a recent exam; has a microchip; is free of ticks/fleas; is on Heartguard and is current on ALL vaccinations. The Aphis 7001 Form is what is needed to be filled out and signed by your Vet.

Here's an editorial in today's Los Angeles Daily News about Emotional Support Animals I thought you folks would enjoy reading:

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/01/11/is-it-an-emotional-support-animal-or-just-someones-pet/

I know that these dogs do serve a purpose for their owners. That said, if the dog acts badly; barking, nipping and going potty everywhere, they dog should NOT be allowed to board. I wish the rules for these dogs were more strict!