Beach suggestions?

CruisingSince1982

I would suggest Horseshoe Bay Beach which has all the amenities you are looking for. Take the mini-bus which gives door to door service. If any in your family snorkels, my suggestion would be Tobacco Bay for off the beach snorkeling, but getting there takes longer than going to HSB. TB is close to St George's.

Would the 22 year old be interested in doing some cliff diving/jumping? This can be done at Admiralty House Park which is s short bus ride from Hamilton. Not much in the way of amenities there.

SBtS

Horseshoe Bay is the best if you haven't been; after that look at Tobacco Bay near St. George's. Both have the amenities you are looking for.

People line up by the dock area for the public bus that takes you right to Horseshoe Bay. Buy tokens or a daily pass (cash only) at the kiosks. Horseshoe is at the base of a hill, so there's always a couple of guys with vans offering rides to and back. It's not the walk down that gets you, it's the return.

Horseshoe Bay is the best if you haven't been; after that look at Tobacco Bay near St. George's. Both have the amenities you are looking for.

People line up by the dock area for the public bus that takes you right to Horseshoe Bay. Buy tokens or a daily pass (cash only) at the kiosks. Horseshoe is at the base of a hill, so there's always a couple of guys with vans offering rides to and back. It's not the walk down that gets you, it's the return.

The public bus system has declined because of lack of maintenance, fewer buses. Bus runs canceled every day. Buses are crowded and you might have to stand or wait for the next bus because the bus is full. Currently I don’t recommend the public bus to Horseshoe Bay. The minibus shuttles which cost $7 each way are the best option to Horseshoe. They go down the hill and pick up at the bottom of the hill to go back to the Dockyard.

The public bus system has declined because of lack of maintenance, fewer buses. Bus runs canceled every day. Buses are crowded and you might have to stand or wait for the next bus because the bus is full. Currently I don’t recommend the public bus to Horseshoe Bay. The minibus shuttles which cost $7 each way are the best option to Horseshoe. They go down the hill and pick up at the bottom of the hill to go back to the Dockyard.

Plenty of recent reviews on Bermuda public transportation don't agree with this.

Plenty of recent reviews on Bermuda public transportation don't agree with this.

I guess we read different recent reviews. The reviews and report backs I read agree. I read the Bermuda press and they report on cancellations of bus runs every day. The door to door service on the minibus as someone else described it, is the best way to do Horseshoe Bay. It takes you down and up the hill to and from the beach. The public bus stop is at the top of the steep hill. When someday, which is not expected from the press stories, to be this year, the public bus service recovers, I would still recommend the minibus for Horseshoe because it is door to door. You don’t have to climb up the hill. You don’t have to wait at a bus stop on both ends for a bus to show up.

Traveling with hubby and 15 year old son. Would like a quieter beach with snorkeling from shore, umbrellas/chairs and a nearby bathroom. Suggestions? We were thinking Snorkel Park on day 3 but would like another as well (not Horseshoe-too crowded):cool:

Traveling with hubby and 15 year old son. Would like a quieter beach with snorkeling from shore, umbrellas/chairs and a nearby bathroom. Suggestions? We were thinking Snorkel Park on day 3 but would like another as well (not Horseshoe-too crowded):cool:

A public beach with chairs, umbrellas and nearby bathroom is not going to be a quiet beach. That makes the beach popular. The best beach for snorkeling from shore that has rentals and facilities is Tobacco Bay in St. George’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there seatbelts on the mini bus? We have a car seat so I’m trying to figure out if we should bring it on the mini bus or not

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Minibuses I took had seatbelts. I don’t know if every minibus has them. The minibuses are privately owned so there is no standard vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are visiting Bermuda on a cruise, and are docked at Dockyard (most ships are except the small ones) the $7 pp shuttle buses are best for visiting Horseshoe Bay. The #7 public bus is severely strained especially when 2 cruise ships carrying 3000-6000 passengers each arrive on the same day.

On the whole the public transportation system in Bermuda (buses and ferries) is excellent - with the exception of the #7 route. You will find the locals that you will be sharing the bus with to be friendly and more than helpful. They recently had some issues with a lot of buses breaking down but most of the maintenance issues have been taken care of and they have just received a shipment of new buses that was sorely needed.

If you avoid the number #7 bus you should be fine. Do remember to say good morning/afternoon to the driver when you get on and thank you when you get off. It’s the Bermudian way. They are very polite people.

There are many gorgeous beaches in Bermuda but they are public and free, so most do not have facilities, chair rentals and the like. They are unspoiled nature at it’s best.

There are resort day passes available from Coco Reef and Elbow Beach through the resorts for a day website and both are lovely beaches.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't worry about finding the mini-buses. There will be one or more people at the end of the pier directing you to the proper lane.

Just say Horseshoe Bay and they will point you to the next vehicle.

The driver will be standing by the vehicle, he will collect the fee. He may have limited change, so exact change is best.

Same deal on the return, walk off the beach, walk to the front mini-bus in line, pay, board and back to the pier.

One thing we found, they pick up the loungers and umbrellas fairly early. So if you get in after lunch and go the beach, you might want to forgo the loungers.

In August, it was $45 for two loungers and an umbrella. We got there mid -afternoon, and they started picking them up around 5.