How to get our soda cans cold?

Kreiven

Hi,

I know we can bring our own bottle of wine as well as 12-pack Coke cans.

However, I also heard that Ocean View in Carnival Sensation has no fridge in the cabin.

So, how would I actually cool the Coke? I HATE drinking Coke when they are not cold enough.

Hi,

However, I also heard that Ocean View in Carnival Sensation has no fridge in the cabin.

So, how would I actually cool the Coke? I HATE drinking Coke when they are not cold enough.

I always pack a small collapsible cooler and ask the cabin steward to keep ice in it for me. I put in on the floor in the cabin bathroom.

Can't you bring a collapsible cooler with some zip lock bags and get ice?

Well, I'm not from US and if I have to buy a cooler (and throw it away after the cruise) because of 12 coke cans, wouldnt be cheaper just to buy the coke in the ship?

A can or two will chill quickly in the ice bucket. This is our preferred method. We are on a HAL ship next week with no refrigerators...we will combine the ice bucket technique with a soda card to satisfy our needs.

Check the economy of buying a soda card.

A small, collapsible cooler isn't expensive, but finding a WalMart or other discount store before boarding might be challenging.

A can or two will chill quickly in the ice bucket. This is our preferred method. We are on a HAL ship next week with no refrigerators...we will combine the ice bucket technique with a soda card to satisfy our needs.

Check the economy of buying a soda card.

A small, collapsible cooler isn't expensive, but finding a WalMart or other discount store before boarding might be challenging.

I'll spend a week in Florida before getting the cruise.. so, I could buy it.. I'm just thinking that it's quite an investment if I'm throwing it away afterwards.. I checked price in Amazon and it's like $15... this is quite a lot.

It's a 5 day cruise so I would drink ~1 soda a day, so, half pack.. and my girlfriend barely drinks soda (maybe 1 or 2)... so, we didn't want to invest in a soda card.. but I thought buying a 12pack at Costco could save me some money, however if I have to buy the cooler, I think it will end up almost same price as buying coke in the ship. And if so, then it would be better not to carry all the stuff (cooler, 12 pack, etc)...

The things one must do to get a soda. If you drink a lot of soda, than you get the package price. But if you don't, this is what I learned. Bring a 12 pack of cans. Buy a cooler. Lug the cooler with you. Ask for ice daily. Run to your room to get can, run back to where you want to drink it. Tip the room steward for ice. Spend more money on tips, cooler and soda, than if you just bought the soda package!

You could also ask for one of the buckets they serve 4 beers in on the Lido deck from one of the bars, ask them to fill it with ice and put your pop in this. Your room attendant will keep it filled with ice for you.

You could also ask for one of the buckets they serve 4 beers in on the Lido deck from one of the bars, ask them to fill it with ice and put your pop in this. Your room attendant will keep it filled with ice for you.

▲this▲

No need to lug a cooler from home. Simple and cost effective.

Do they just lend you the bucket if you ask? It would be great!

The "bucket" used for beer is nothing more than an over-sized (6 qt?) plastic ice cream pail with some carnival promo material printed on it. Sometimes they look pretty sad....

But to answer your question, YES, they will lend you a bucket, pretty much every bar has a stack of them somewhere....

Well, I'm not from US and if I have to buy a cooler (and throw it away after the cruise) because of 12 coke cans, wouldnt be cheaper just to buy the coke in the ship?

Unless the cooler has somehow gotten damaged during the cruise, why would you throw it away? Why not take it home for future use? We have a collapsible cooler that packs flat that we've taken on several cruises. I bring along a gallon size heavy duty Ziplock bag to put ice in and put it in my cooler. As long as I keep the cooler out of the sun, the ice will last about two days, and our sodas stay cold.

Hi,

Here is a trick I use to quickly cool cans of soda in 5-10 mins or less. Get a small bucket of ice water and add salt to it. Then get the soda sit for 5-15 mins and your drink will be as cool as you need.

Here is the science behind it:

Water is many times more efficient at transferring thermal energy than air or Ice, but by using fresh water the coldest water can exist be is 32 degrees before it turns to ice and this limits cooling. By adding salt you lower the freezing point of water and this allows the water to exist at temperatures below freezing and near the temperature of the ice. This allows the can to cool can much more rapidly. However beware that the contents of the can can freeze if you leave it too long(like an hour).

I'll spend a week in Florida before getting the cruise.. so, I could buy it.. I'm just thinking that it's quite an investment if I'm throwing it away afterwards.. I checked price in Amazon and it's like $15... this is quite a lot.

It's a 5 day cruise so I would drink ~1 soda a day, so, half pack.. and my girlfriend barely drinks soda (maybe 1 or 2)... so, we didn't want to invest in a soda card.. but I thought buying a 12pack at Costco could save me some money, however if I have to buy the cooler, I think it will end up almost same price as buying coke in the ship. And if so, then it would be better not to carry all the stuff (cooler, 12 pack, etc)...

If you want to take some just put it in the carry on luggage and have the steward keep the ice bucket full and chill them in there. No need for a cooler.

Just add a few EXTRA large zip lock baggies. They can be stuffed with ice and 2 soda cans will fit in nicely after breakfast. They will cool quickly. You can sit them in the sink so if they leak no worries. No cooler to buy and toss the baggies after the cruise.

I thought buying a 12pack at Costco could save me some money

I'm not sure where you're from but I wanted you to know that as far as I know, Costco doesn't carry 12-packs of soda. Keep an eye out for a Walmart or Target, maybe even the drugstore chains like CVS or Walgreens. If there's a chain grocery store near you like Publix or Winn Dixie they'd have good prices too.

Just remember that you can bring UP TO 12 - 12 oz cans each, but you don't have to bring an entire case. If its cheaper to just buy 7 cans of soda than a 12 pack, that's okay with Carnival.

I've also taken the BIG Ziploc's. They will hold about 10 beers (or soda). Put the cans in the bag and fill with ice. I just leave them on the floor in the shower in case they leak. Repeat as necessary!

I never leave home without my Ziploc's:D

Use ice in your glass....can't imagine drinking straight from the can....gets hot before you're halfway thru.... But, if you must...ask for an ice bucket and chill them. Or put them in the fridge...if you prop open the cabinet door that the fridges are behind, they actually work as intended!

Hi,

Get a small cooler or go on a newer ship.