Live from Oceania Sirena (December 16th to January 20th)

travelberlin

Hi Ivi,

Enjoying your blog as we are leaving on Sirena in March retracing your steps from Buenos Aires to Miami

!

If you would be kind enough to post the tour company you used in Maneus and anywhere else, it would be greatly appreciated!

Our CC roll call is not active at all so all of the Tours I have been booking have just been for the two of us which is getting really costly!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

Hi Gail,

You will have a great cuise. It is a nice itinerary.

Where are you staying in Buenos Aires? We usually stay at a hotel called Puerto Madero. Is quite good with reasonable prices. The area is also good.

In Manaus for the experience with the dolphins we have contacted directly Amazon Eco Adventures (have a look at the internet). Very reliable, we were two days in Manaus and took this tour on the first day. They usually are contacted by more people from the ship.

Our walk in Manaus city was with no tour. You can do that without a problem. Only check if it is Monday when you are in the city because rhe Opera/theater house is not open to every one on Monday. Other days should be fine.

In Santarem, shutle bus to town center. You can do it on your own. It is like a big shopping market. Not our favorite city.

Parintins is nice. You can do it on your own. The ship anchors there. When you come out of the terminal there are locals with bicycles, who for 20 Reais (1 US is about 3.25 reais) per person will show you the city. Although in advance we negotiated 30 reais por both of us, we ended paying Reais 50, because we found that to be a fair price. It is about one hour tour.

I will post later about Alter do Chao and Boca de Valeria.

Ivi

In Parintins, we bought show tickets on the Regatta. This local dance and song show is well worth it! It's an abbreviated version of the huge festival the town of Parintins has once a year. The venue is in walking distance to the pier. Tickets are very limited unless they built a bigger theater in the meantime.

But making sure you have some currency on hand in advance is always a good idea. Sorry, we spent all of ours.

But I have some Norwegian kroner if you should use that ...Also 5 dollars Australian ...

Mura

LOL! Well, I could have used your Australian currency a couple of months ago! ;)

Thanks for the info, Mura!

Lima is considered the gastronomical capital from South America. If you have a chance try to have lunch at the Huaca Pucllana (with nice views of pre Inca ruins) or at the Astrid and Gaston restaurant. Have a look in internet if that would be something you like.

Ivi

Thank you, Ivi, I will definitely look them up!

We had today a nice afternoon tea on the Sirena lounge. Nice display of snacks, cakes and cookies.

Two other ports along the Amazon river were Boca da Valeria and Alter do Chao.

In Boca da Valeria, I have stayed on board the ship. My husband tells me, that it was an interesting experience in which villagers come to meet the cruisers. The children expect presents like sweets and are carrying local animals, which they keep as pets. My husband was not sure he liked that...

Alter do Chao is a nice small town not too far from Santarem. It is easy to walk around. We did not need a tour. There is a small island in the river, in front the town, which has a good beach. We took a small local boat to cross to that island. It takes two minutes, costs 5 Reais and the waters are shallow. Once on the island, there were many Brazilians vacationing there. Some tables direct on the river, where you could seat with your feet soaking in the water enjoying a bier. This is exactly what we did.

A woman approached me offering a feet massage. She convinced me to take one. She told me she is from Venezuela and came to Brazil to improve her living conditions. Apparently there are many people from Venezuela now coming to Brazil to live.

We had a good and relaxed time at this small town. The beach felt like a small paradise.

That was the end of our cruise in the Amazon river. Several stops, all different and interesting. A good itinerary indeed. Photos will follow with the help from Bodogbodog.

Today we were in Recife but about this port I will report another time. Bye, bye.

Ivi

In Parintins, we bought show tickets on the Regatta. This local dance and song show is well worth it! It's an abbreviated version of the huge festival the town of Parintins has once a year. The venue is in walking distance to the pier. Tickets are very limited unless they built a bigger theater in the meantime.

You are right Floridiana. We thought we could get tickets on our own once in town because the ship excursion costed US 159 pp for one and half hour. This was too much for us. Unfortunately the show was only for the ship excursion. We were however able to see some dancers on the street of Parintins.

Ivi

I am very much enjoying your report and your photos! Thank you for taking the time to do it.

I just looked and your cruise continues from Rio to Miami. I have a huge desire to jump in the car and get on the ship on Saturday! The price and itinerary is very inviting. Sadly, my husband can't get off work.

We just booked our first cruise on Oceania today and your review is making me look forward to it even more!

I am very much enjoying your report and your photos! Thank you for taking the time to do it.

I just looked and your cruise continues from Rio to Miami. I have a huge desire to jump in the car and get on the ship on Saturday! The price and itinerary is very inviting. Sadly, my husband can't get off work.

We just booked our first cruise on Oceania today and your review is making me look forward to it even more!

Thanks very much Brazilgirl. Your name sounds familiar... have you sailed with Azamara?

We have (and still are) enjoying our cruise with Oceania. Which cruise have you booked? It is a pitty you can not make it from Rio to Miami. Really interesting itinerary.

Ivi

I have sailed Crystal, Celebrity, RCI, HAL, Carnival and a now defunct cruise-line called Seawind. I just posted some questions on the Azamara board as we we going to book the Rio holiday cruise-but the price was 3 times as much as the Oceania price, so we decided to go for the Oceania one.

We booked a Caribbean cruise in January which visits many new islands for us: St Lucia, St Barts, Antigua, the Bahamas, San Juan, and St. Marteen. Have you been to any of these ports...any suggestions on nice things to do?

What would you say is your favorite and least favorite thing about Oceania?

Thanks again for the review and wonderful photos! It has been a pleasure reading!!

You and I must be in different dimensions..i am on this cruise, and it has been the most disappointing cruise I have ever had the misfortune of booking.

I have sailed Crystal, Celebrity, RCI, HAL, Carnival and a now defunct cruise-line called Seawind. I just posted some questions on the Azamara board as we we going to book the Rio holiday cruise-but the price was 3 times as much as the Oceania price, so we decided to go for the Oceania one.

We booked a Caribbean cruise in January which visits many new islands for us: St Lucia, St Barts, Antigua, the Bahamas, San Juan, and St. Marteen. Have you been to any of these ports...any suggestions on nice things to do?

Thanks again for the review and wonderful photos! It has been a pleasure reading!!

Travelberlin,

Looks like you have a very unhappy fellow passenger who doesn't like the Sirena's 'ghetto ports'. I enjoyed them very much, but like your husband, I did not really appreciate the children begging in Boca da Valeria. One mom pushed her young son into the children's group, the little boy cried when she yelled at him to stay there.

There is no garbage collection, so all the candy wrappers wound up on the ground, there is probably no dental care either. The village is tiny. Regatta left boxes of supplies at the small school.

You and I must be in different dimensions..i am on this cruise, and it has been the most disappointing cruise I have ever had the misfortune of booking.

Hi, I understand that people have different tastes and experience things different, but it looks like you are really having a hard time on this cruise. Could you please explain why this cruise "has been the most disappointing cruise you had the misfortune to book"?

Ivi

Thank you so very much..we are well seasoned travelers and expected more. Apparently, as i have been told repeatedly, there are over 500 "club" members who keep returning (quote the general manager and cruise director). I am in the minority, so be it.

The evaluation will be scathing, disappointing, and list the numerous items where Oceania dropped the ball. Again, thank you and hope you have a safe flight home.

If I understand drhugs correctly, fellow passengers are old, entertainment is lacking and ports have 'ghetto' quality. drhugs, I am sorry that your expectations were not met.

Maybe your name sounds familiar from the Crystal or Celebrity forum...

I have been in the ports you mention and my favorite is St. Barts. It had a little of a South France feeling. But I am not sure how they have recovered after the hurricane.

Concerning your question about the favorite and least favorite, it is not easy to answer. My husband and I have talked about this subject over lunch. We came to the following conclusion: we have liked the most, the possibility, at no additional costs, to choose different restaurants, including specialty restaurants, serving mostly good food.

Our less favorite aspect was that at breakfast, the offerings were always the same. The specials like shashouka were not that good. We would have liked to have more bread selection at breakfast, for example multigrain bread and also more selection from cold cuts and cheese. Now I have to add, that when we requested it, these things were brought to us. So it seems unfair to even mention it...

My husband said to me after thinking for a while when I asked him, what he did not like very much... well that the light at dinner could be better, because he likes to have more light. But then he said that this was a small point and in German he said: "Kein Grund zum meckern". This means not really an important reason to complain...

Brazil girl, please do not take our experiences to raise your expectations and maybe you become disillusioned. We can only report how we felt, we cannot guarantee or expect that others feel the same. Sometimes is a matter of the expectations...

Ivi

Travelberlin...

Thank you so much from taking time to answer. I am happy to say that on every cruise we have taken, we have enjoyed ourselves for different reasons. Even our Carnival cruise ( which we took because of a large group and financial restrictions for many of the members) had many nice aspects.

I am also excited about the specialty restaurants. We are not big breakfast eaters as on vacation we tend to be late risers.

St. Barts was one of the reasons for booking the cruise. It has been on my bucket list for a long time.

I know we will have a wonderful time.. a lovely ship, good food and company, nice ports ! What’s not to like?

Super appreciate these many great postings by travelberlin. Plus the many nice pictures posted from these various locations. It bring back nice memories from our cruise earlier last year in doing the Panama Canal, plus most importantly in going up, up the Amazon River in 2015.

As detailed below inmy live/blog, we did the Amazon River and enjoyed it very much. Lots of my visuals in these many posting to provide the variety of interests and activities that we experienced along the amazing and very unique Amazon.

Would love toread more SPECIFICS and details from drhugs regarding the title of "floating nursing home". How much was the "fault" of the Amazon River and its port stops, the fellow passengers, Oceania, etc.?? As noted on another CC thread, for longer cruises, you are getting a generally "older crowd". BUT, just because some are of a more "mature" age does not always make them boring and/or uninteresting.Look forward to learning morebackground from drhugs. Not doubting this opinion, just seeking additional background before we do our first sailing on Oceania, a 20-day Athens to Dubai cruise to include the Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, etc.

Keep up the excellent sharing. Look forward to learning more.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 54,868 views for these postings.

We can only report how we felt, we cannot guarantee or expect that others feel the same. Sometimes is a matter of the expectations...Ivi

Yes, "expectations" can be a challenging area. Our view is that there are always various "pro" and "con" factors to consider with any cruising area and/or cruise line. Nothing is always perfect or fitting. We know that on certain of the Oceania rooms and baths that space is a little limited, but the itinerary would be worth for us despite that downside. Doing some advance research and planning is vital. Look forward to learning much more on Oceania and from drhugs.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 194,078 views for this posting.

Super appreciate these many great postings by travelberlin. Plus the many nice pictures posted from these various locations. It bring back nice memories from our cruise earlier last year in doing the Panama Canal, plus most importantly in going up, up the Amazon River in 2015.

As detailed below inmy live/blog, we did the Amazon River and enjoyed it very much. Lots of my visuals in these many posting to provide the variety of interests and activities that we experienced along the amazing and very unique Amazon.

Would love toread more SPECIFICS and details from drhugs regarding the title of"floating nursing home". How much was the "fault" of the Amazon River and its port stops, the fellow passengers, Oceania, etc.?? As noted on another CC thread, for longer cruises, you are getting a generally "older crowd". BUT, just because some are of a more "mature" age does not always make them boring and/or uninteresting.Look forward to learning morebackground from drhugs. Not doubting this opinion, just seeking additional background before we do our first sailing on Oceania, a 20-day Athens to Dubai cruise to include the Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, etc.

Keep up the excellent sharing. Look forward to learning more.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 54,868 views for these postings.

Thanks for watching Terry in Ohio. I have followed many of your cruises and enjoyed your posts. I am glad that you have also enjoyed the itinerary in the Amazon.

Actually, we took this cruise because of the Amazon. We have learned a lot and are continuing to learn.

I will report more as soon as I can. We are just arriving in Salvador Bahia.

Ivi

If I understand drhugs correctly, fellow passengers are old, entertainment is lacking and ports have 'ghetto' quality. drhugs, I am sorry that your expectations were not met.

Yes, Floridiana, this is was drhugs wrote on another thread. Drhugs also wrote that he/she has contacted the General Manager four times with no success.

Was he/she expecting that because of his /her lack of research before this cruise, the older passengers shall leave the ship and the ports of call shall change and the GM will accomodate?

He/she must have a larger problem.

Unfortunately drhugs does not comeback to further explain the reasons for his/her complaints.

Ivi

Just a remark on Alter do Chao before people expect they can go swimming in the Amazon. A tributary brings clear water to the beach in Alter Do Chao before this clear swimmable water mixes with the muddy water of the Amazon which is not fit for swimming.

And I agree with TLCOhio that Travelberlin is writing a wonderful report and thank you to Bodogbodog for posting the photos.

Recife was another port of call during this itinerary. We have been in Recife three times. On one time I decided to take a ship’s excursion and my husband, who does not like very much ship’s excursions, went to explore on his own.

We came back with different impressions about Recife. His rather, disappointing. He was unprepared on what to find and just thought he could look around. This is not easy on areas close to the ports in Brazil. My impression at that time was better than his because of the ship’s excursion, we went to Olinda (a small colonial town) to Boa Viagem Beach and to the Cultural Center (this used to be a prison).

On our second time there, we both took a ship's excursion. My husband had a different impression from Recife.

This time, with the Oceania Sirena, we decided to explore on our own. But we were better prepared. The ship docked at a big port were you have to take an inter port shuttle bus first. From there the City offers a complementary shuttle bus to the Cultural Center (the old prison).

We took the inter port shuttle to the terminal, but then decided to walk about 300 mts in the direction of the old Recife. I was a little apprehensive because the area looked somehow not inviting. I have approached a tourist policeman and asked him if it was safe to walk there. He said it was safe. So we just walked for about 2 hours in that area.

Not everything was pretty but I guess it is your own option to be impressed by the non pretty aspects or to look behind that. We decided to look behind and concluded that this must have been a wealthy city before. The buildings show that. Many are so run down that you tend to overlook their architectural beauty. Some have been renovated and it must have been extremely costly to do that because the climate and the sea seem to deteriorate the buildings very fast.

We encountered some inscriptions referring to a Poetry Walk (Circuito da Poesia). We followed that a little bit and found interesting statues with personages, who are probably well known in Brazil.

We also found a small shopping mall, in what used to be an old customs building (Alfandegas). There my husband bought a colorful short at the store of two Brazilian gentlemen (Haldson and Eraldo). He is very happy with the new acquisition.

After our walk, we decided to take the complimentary shuttle bus to drive to the cultural center and just to drive back, because we were there already. This was a good idea, we got a different perspective from the city through this drive.

Overall, we made the most out of our stay in Recife. I will post some photos with the help from Bodogbodog. Bye, bye.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin