Dining Room Dress Code?

Jaclynroseg

That’s the dress for the elegant dinner. I was just trying to find out about the regular dinners. My children won’t be at the elegant night, I assure you. If for no other reason than so they can stay back and watch their sister. I was just curious to know what it was like at the main dining room for regular nights, but from the responses I’m getting it appears that the dress code will vary as much as the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How old is your daughter? I think if she’s 3 or older she can hang out in the kids club and your sons could either join you for dinner or have dinner on their own at the buffet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, it is crazy & we live in a large city in Texas!!! Oh and it is public school! School officials say it is due to some taking advantage of the dress code & wearing shorts that were too short or torn or see through, etc. So yep, no shorts allowed in the high schools or middle schools.

Same here in South Carolina except the rule is justified by the administration saying it’s too distracting for the boys. Interesting, don’t you think?[emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow! It is 2017 and they still say those things? Just....wow. Certainly, it is the young women who are at fault for, well....looking like women. And how do they explain the distraction of all those gay, young men? It is definitely not the young women who are distracting them. Jeez.....it’s like we are in the 1950s.

I have found that dress codes in schools overwhelmingly target young ladies. Right before Xmas break, the school district put up posters stating cold shoulder and off the shoulder tops were in violation of the dress code. Heaven forbid that a girl's shoulders are shown! Just ridiculous!

What do all these off-topic posts about school dress codes have anything to do with what the OP asked?

The OP asked about basketball shorts in the MDR for dinner. In one of my responses I mentioned how my teens aren't even allowed to wear shorts to school, then it evolved from there, So definitely my fault. But the original conversation was answered ad nauseum so...

Edited by BookDragon

What do all these off-topic posts about school dress codes have anything to do with what the OP asked?

Seriously, if I could find a way to shut it all down I would. As a public school teacher in Philadelphia where the kids wear uniforms I honestly could not care less what other people’s children wear to school.

Sailing full is what keeps fares low. If they tick off too many people and word goes around, could be trouble and prices rise. If prices rise, people are going to look for Carnival to have a higher level of services and offerings. There is a balance and Carnival has found its market. It caters to the every man/woman but it's not aimed at traditionalists. It is a family friendly, wallet friendly, gateway to cruising with short Bahamas and Caribbean 3-8 day vacations. Are you willing to pay, say, Princess or Celebrity prices for Carnival offerings and amenities? Carnival is a great value, until it isn't. And Carnival has decided the name of the game is max berths and race to the bottom on pricing.

Let's face it, really, Elegant night is an opportunity to buy more portraits and that's all really it is. Which is perfectly fine and nothing wrong in any way for those that want to partake in the offering, but some of us have been around so long we've seen the rest of the offering diminish to the point where we say you know what, I'll dress (as my father in law says) "Like a person" but I'm not dragging extra stuff I don't want, to wear for 2 hours, to participate in someone else's cruise fantasy. It is what it is, they gotta fill rooms and prices are low. Services are being scaled back, so take it for what it is. If it doesn't match what you consider important the Carnival umbrella would like to show you something in a Princess or Holland America cruise...

Blind enforcement in the face of a dumbed down elegant nice is kind of farcical.

You can Also thank the Airlines, when I started Cruising .(1993).You had two Free Checked bags, one was my suit or /Dress Blues(Army) and my suitcase.... now for the same two its 140.00 Round Trip.....Makes a Difference!!

Think about that

Mike

Amen to all of you in trying to teach your kids a little class in the MDR. It’s a “dining” experience, not an eating experience (there’s a difference). If you dress like you’re going to the Golden Corral, you’re likely not dressed appropriately

Carnival says gentlemen are to wear long pants with a collared shirt on American Table nights. That ensemble is also acceptable on American Feast (Elegant) nights, but they would encourage suits/ties/tuxedos.

Enforcement is pretty lax. On our last cruise, we followed Carnival's suggestion -- even our 8 and 7 year old kids. The couple at the table next to us arrived every. single. night. in shorts (cut-off jean shorts once) and t-shirts. I think it really depends on the ship and how the maître d' feels at the time.

Carnival says on cruise casual nights dress shorts are fine. They also don't encourage suits and tuxedos on elegant night but do encourage a nice long pants with a collared shirt. I'm always amazed at those that always know what everyone at other tables wear, I'm too busy enjoying my table mates, laughing, talking and drinking wine!!

Pat

So I kind of think there is a whole lot of people who misunderstood my original question. #1... my kids will wear whatever I tell them to wear, they are children. It’s that simple. #2... I send four children to private school, I can afford pants. #3... My original thought upon reading these forums was that if people are wearing jeans during nights that are considered “elegant” than how seriously do they take the code (which is just that—a regulation) on the “casual” night? I am not really sure how this simplistic question turned into an opportunity for some to attempt to appear superior in parenting styles or cruising doctrine, but it seriously was a simple question about clothes. I appreciate those who answered (without judgement), thank you.

They didn't misunderstand your post, you just gave a reason for the "fashion police" to come out in full force!:D I understood your question. You want your teenagers to join you for dinner every night and wanted to know how stricit the dress code was on casual nights. If they wear nice shorts, cargo khaki etc with a decent shirt-collared, t-shirt etc they will fit right in with the crowd. and, ignore the fashion police, seems they have nothing better to do on the cruise than critique what everyone else is wearing.:rolleyes:Pat

They didn't misunderstand your post, you just gave a reason for the "fashion police" to come out in full force!:D I understood your question. You want your teenagers to join you for dinner every night and wanted to know how stricit the dress code was on casual nights. If they wear nice shorts, cargo khaki etc with a decent shirt-collared, t-shirt etc they will fit right in with the crowd. and, ignore the fashion police, seems they have nothing better to do on the cruise than critique what everyone else is wearing.:rolleyes:Pat

Question...so how strict is the “cruise casual” dress code? I’m traveling with three teenage boys who I would like to see at some point (was thinking dinner) during our trip, so I don’t want them to have to eat at the buffet every night. However, they are also teenage boys who go to Catholic School 5 days a week. Basketball shorts and t-shirts are their part time uniform.

I get it. You send your kids to a private school, to teach them about respect, and now you are asking if they can wear gym shorts, and t-shirts to dinner. Kind of confused.

I get it. You send your kids to a private school, to teach them about respect, and now you are asking if they can wear gym shorts, and t-shirts to dinner. Kind of confused.

How would you know the current trends in a Carnival dining room? You won't set foot on one of their ships.

Yes, it is crazy & we live in a large city in Texas!!! Oh and it is public school! School officials say it is due to some taking advantage of the dress code & wearing shorts that were too short or torn or see through, etc. So yep, no shorts allowed in the high schools or middle schools.

According to my work dress code, shorts are not permitted either. Go figure, it's 90 degrees outside, and I have to dress presentable.

According to my work dress code, shorts are not permitted either. Go figure, it's 90 degrees outside, and I have to dress presentable.

It's interesting for sure. Regardless of whether we agree with various dress codes or not, we, as a family, simply follow them. Makes things easy for us as we do not treat them as gray areas even though some Maitre'ds seem to (& as a result some cruisers do too.). I don't think others should get upset at those who choose or find ways to buck the system. Judging by the varied responses on this thread, this confusion comes from the top down.

It's interesting for sure. Regardless of whether we agree with various dress codes or not, we, as a family, simply follow them. Makes things easy for us as we do not treat them as gray areas even though some Maitre'ds seem to (& as a result some cruisers do too.). I don't think others should get upset at those who choose or find ways to buck the system. Judging by the varied responses on this thread, this confusion comes from the top down.

I disagree. The code is printed in black and white. The confusion comes from the bottom up where people want to attempt to make a code that's written in black and white, gray because they think they are special.

I disagree. The code is printed in black and white. The confusion comes from the bottom up where people want to attempt to make a code that's written in black and white, gray because they think they are special.

I disagree with you. If folks were consistently turned away by MDR staff & not allowed to enter...this enforcement would spread by word of mouth like wildfire and I believe that over time less people would even bother asking how well the dress code is enforced.

Instead we have multiple exceptions made by MDR staff, witnessed by many, spread by word of mouth on boards, "Go for it, no one cares." And people all of a sudden require clarification because, "They heard...". Enforcement has to happen from the top down.

I disagree with you. If folks were consistently turned away by MDR staff & not allowed to enter...this enforcement would spread by word of mouth like wildfire and I believe that over time less people would even bother asking how well the dress code is enforced.

Instead we have multiple exceptions made by MDR staff, witnessed by many, spread by word of mouth on boards, "Go for it, no one cares." And people all of a sudden require clarification because, "They heard...". Enforcement has to happen from the top down.

True, but we also live in a very entitled and selfish world. We have LAWS that dictate how fast we can drive and that using a cell phone while driving is prohibited (it is where I live), but I see over 70% of drivers routinely breaking these laws every day. The police (top down) routinely enforce these laws when they catch someone breaking them, don't they? And even though everyone knows the consequences if they get caught, they still willingly break the law.

No, the bigger issue is what has been stated on here many, many times. People have paid money and this is THEIR cruise. Nobody else is going to tell them how to act, what to wear, what to do, etc. It's part of that entitled mindset that dictates that since I paid good, hard-earned money for something, I can do what I want.

That's why there is so much debate on these forums about skirting the rules when it comes to dining room attire, or smoking on your balcony, or tipping for room service or in general. People feel entitled to break these rules simply because they feel it is their right to do so.

And I've noticed that you can't really debate or discuss these topics on this site with those who willingly wants to break the rules and or rationalize their doing so. They come at you like they would rather go 10 rounds with you toe to toe.

I say all this not because I let any of it get me down on a cruise (well....someone smoking on their balcony next to us might be a problem), but more of a "that's how I see things" mentality.

I've seen people turned away at the dining room before. They have that "deer in the headlights" look about them and walk off muttering something about they didn't know about the dress code, which I find highly doubtful and think it's to save face in front of the folks behind them. No, I suspect they heard or feel they can do what they want and are surprised when they get called out for it.

How many times have you heard someone who got a speeding ticket say, "I'm not mad that I broke the law, I'm mad because I got caught!" This explains a lot of the mentality in these hot-topic threads.

@Keys2heaven. You will alays have some who feel entitled, that goes without saying. But, I believe it's all a moot point if Carnival consistently enforced the rules. Btw, I see plenty of instances of folks breaking driving laws in front of police officers who chose not to pull them over for whatever reason...particularly the no texting & the hanging of disabled placards while driving. Not really a good example to use. Howver, NOT on a military base where you know you will get pulled over period. Military police do not play & most people follow the traffic laws on base. Anywho, I still believe that consistent enforcement by Carnival management & MDR staff would solve most of this dress code debate. Either that or just get rid of it altogether is my opinion.

@Keys2heaven. You will alays have some who feel entitled, that goes without saying. But, I believe it's all a moot point if Carnival consistently enforced the rules. Btw, I see plenty of instances of folks breaking driving laws in front of police officers who chose not to pull them over for whatever reason...particularly the no texting & the hanging of disabled placards while driving. Not really a good example to use. Howver, NOT on a military base where you know you will get pulled over period. Military police do not play & most people follow the traffic laws on base. Anywho, I still believe that consistent enforcement by Carnival management & MDR staff would solve most of this dress code debate. Either that or just get rid of it altogether is my opinion.

First example that came to mind. :)

I've seen PLENTY of police officers driving while talking on a cell phone or texting as well, and one would like to think they would be consistent. They seem to be towards the end of the month though. LOL

Yes, it would be nice if rules were consistently enforced, which I why they would quite referring to them as codes or rules.

Just call them guidelines.

All for Fun, Fun for all. Waiters dance on stripper podiums. Relax, it's vacation. This is Carnival, not Cunard. Just shower after a day at the pool and put on clean clothes and you are good to go. Sometimes vacation is all about relaxing and getting away from all the micromanagement nanny rules.

That actually has nothing to do with why I send my children to private school. It actually has more to do with my strict beliefs against government involvement in my children’s education, but being how I don’t feel like making that a conversation in this forum where I simply asked a question about clothes...I’m going to leave that right there. Thanks for trying to sound like you know what you were talking about though.

Sincerely,

A public educator and private school mom.