Stern Cabins American Queen

Oceanlover10

Can anyone that have booked these cabins give me the Pros and Cons about cabins 383,385,& 386 class AQ-A, aboard the American Queen. They are stern private veranda and glass enclosed. Do they have windows that open and do they fog up to make seeing out a problem. Also what is the noise level of the Paddle Wheel. Thanks in advance for your response.

I was in room 353 for three nights, and I would not book it again! It was during a spring time trip on an Ohio River which wasn't flooded but was high, so they had to work her hard while traveling upriver. I love the sound of a paddlewheel rolling, but the vibration and noise from the Z-drives and the cavitation of the props was quite annoying. Honestly there are much better rooms for less on the boat. 506 and 508 are less and have an entrance into the room from the guard and also a sheltered entrance from the hallway. My next trip I'll be in 504 the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE suite, but it's a bit more expensive than any room on the Texas Deck.

On our recent trip we met some folks who moved from one of those stern cabins due to noise and vibration.

We too wanted to move - but from 402 at the bow. This is right next to the Chart Room and had constant foot traffic, noise, and people usurping "our" chairs outside the room. We even had people mistakenly trying to open our door! Unfortunately nothing else was available so we managed. We've enjoyed every other cabin we have had on the boat.

• 2 months later...

We had cabin 455 on our most recent sailing and would not book it again. The only advantage is it is a large cabin with two sinks. Disadvantages: You cannot sit outside your cabin and enjoy the view because the railing is solid to block the spray from the paddlewheel. At night when the boat is moving faster, the spray from the paddlewheel keeps the deck in front of those rear three cabins (453, 455, 456) wet. Our friends were in cabin 456 and they said it was extremely noisy due to a ventilation duct which ran thru the ceiling of that cabin. The rear cabins on deck 3 may have the same issues. An outside cabin on the side of the ship would be better.

• 1 month later...
We had cabin 455 on our most recent sailing and would not book it again. The only advantage is it is a large cabin with two sinks. Disadvantages: You cannot sit outside your cabin and enjoy the view because the railing is solid to block the spray from the paddlewheel. At night when the boat is moving faster, the spray from the paddlewheel keeps the deck in front of those rear three cabins (453, 455, 456) wet. Our friends were in cabin 456 and they said it was extremely noisy due to a ventilation duct which ran thru the ceiling of that cabin. The rear cabins on deck 3 may have the same issues. An outside cabin on the side of the ship would be better.

We just returned from the trip and had the same cabin and didn't find it to be a problem. It had less foot traffic in the area since it was in the back, and we felt the two sinks was a good trade off for the larger room. We turned off the air and found it comfortable and not too noisy. The air conditioner was noisy at night when on. Vibration was minimal and didn't interfere with our sleep. Outside cabins are way smaller and the view isn't too exciting anyway. People walking by to get to the inside all day. I'd pick the rear room again. :)

... and the view isn't too exciting anyway. /quote]

That's true for much of the Lower Mississippi, but far from the truth while steaming along the beautiful Ohio, Upper Mississippi, Cumberland or Tennessee Rivers. On these rivers there are hills, stone bluffs, locks & dams, small towns, big cities and vistas that can rival those seen on any of the world's other great rivers.

My DH and I had a mid ship balcony cabin 342 and it was great. Very quiet, loved the bathtub, and the french doors to the small balcony. This riverboat is just the right size. You can easily spend time on the stern listening to the shush, shush of the paddlewheel. There was some spray so the stern cabins would not be our choice.