Travel Insurance

beachnsnowbunny

Well, you can bet that the cruise line's own insurance will not leave the cruise line holding the bag for much of anything. For example, the medical coverage is probably pretty good, but the coverage for a (highly unlikely) cruise line default will be non-existent.

I never use the Carnival sponsored insurance. I say sponsored because its not insurance provided by Carnival. Should you need to use it you will still need to file a claim and deal an insurance company(currently it Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company).

There is a big misconception that if you buy insurance thought Carnival everything will automagicly be paid should you have a medical emergency on board. The truth is it is no different from any other insurance(other than it being overpriced), Carnival will still bill you and then you file an insurance claim.

As for me, being a Diver and seeing that I am almost always diving a cruise I always book buy my travel insurance thought DAN(Divers Alert Network). For our Alaska cruise I used AIG since that trip didn't involve diving. The point is shop around, almost anything will have better prices than carnival. Coevan's post it actually a good starting place so I will not rehash what he said.

Also keep in mind most companies will require you to buy insurance with in 15-30days of your finial paying to be covered for things like canceled trip coverage.

thetripinsurancestore.com Great place to buy trip insurance, they will answer and explain any questions you may have , trust me you don't know how much you don't know about trip insurance until you really need it ,

We use www.TripInsuranceStore.com - they are a broker who handle policies from several insurers whom they've vetted. (No additional charge for this, to you.)

But we strongly urge that you NOT just rely upon the online summaries. There is a lot of "fine print" that can make a lot of difference.

Plus, if you talk with one of the reps, they can discuss your plans and also your possible insurance needs (or lack thereof; they once talked us out of a purchase, pointing out that for that particular trip, we didn't need the additional insurance), to make sure you get a policy that matches your actual needs.

This could involve things like elderly/ill relatives at home, whether work might interfere... many things.

We've purchased policies through them from Travel Insured, and we've had a couple of large claims, which were paid without nonsense... and that's what it is all about, after all.

GC

Most insurance sold by the cruise lines gives somewhere between $10,000 and $20,000 in medical coverage. Been to an emergency room or had any minor outpatient surgery recently? The cruise line insurance might not even cover the cost of a sprained wrist or ankle much less anything more severe.

You can get much better coverage at usually a cheaper price by going to one of the sites listed above and/or calling them.

We look at many options and use one of several search sites to compare plans. In our case we use insuremytrip.com

We often use one specific insurance company but we don't exclusively use it and other factors come into play including the total cost of the cruise, our medical needs and where we are sailing.

Keith

We look at many options and use one of several search sites to compare plans. In our case we use insuremytrip.com

We often use one specific insurance company but we don't exclusively use it and other factors come into play including the total cost of the cruise, our medical needs and where we are sailing.

Keith

Does it work for World Cruises?

I never use the Carnival sponsored insurance. I say sponsored because its not insurance provided by Carnival. Should you need to use it you will still need to file a claim and deal an insurance company(currently it Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company).

There is a big misconception that if you buy insurance thought Carnival everything will automagicly be paid should you have a medical emergency on board. The truth is it is no different from any other insurance(other than it being overpriced), Carnival will still bill you and then you file an insurance claim.

As for me, being a Diver and seeing that I am almost always diving a cruise I always book buy my travel insurance thought DAN(Divers Alert Network). For our Alaska cruise I used AIG since that trip didn't involve diving. The point is shop around, almost anything will have better prices than carnival. Coevan's post it actually a good starting place so I will not rehash what he said.

Also keep in mind most companies will require you to buy insurance with in 15-30days of your finial paying to be covered for things like canceled trip coverage.

================

REGARDING when to buy travel insurance, GENERALI Travel Insurance (used to be CSA) will cover pre existing conditions right up to final payment of your cruise. Its on their website: https://www.generalitravelinsurance.com/view-travel-insurance-plans.html

For cancellation coverages, buy right away. They have a 10 day guaranteed refund if you change your mind/shop around.

We dont like to buy via the comparison sites because when we had a change (travel dates) it was a real hassle to find the right party to own the change.

Never use the cruise line--conflict of interest if a claim, may not cover pre & post travel not booked with Carnival, and often more expensive.

================

REGARDING when to buy travel insurance, GENERALI Travel Insurance (used to be CSA) will cover pre existing conditions right up to final payment of your cruise. Its on their website: https://www.generalitravelinsurance.com/view-travel-insurance-plans.html

For cancellation coverages, buy right away. They have a 10 day guaranteed refund if you change your mind/shop around.

We dont like to buy via the comparison sites because when we had a change (travel dates) it was a real hassle to find the right party to own the change.

Never use the cruise line--conflict of interest if a claim, may not cover pre & post travel not booked with Carnival, and often more expensive.

Nationwide Choice Cruise is the same - you can get pre existing conditions and cancel for any reason up to the date you make final payment regardless of when the trip was deposited.

I have had to make changes to dates and ships and it couldn’t have been any simpler. I called InsureMyTrip and they handled it right there over the phone. I have done it more than once and never was it a hassle at all. I bought the policy through IMT and they made the changes no problem and within the same call.