Help on Planning vacation for a family of 6

FoodieTravelJunkie

So, I have been researching for years for a cruise for our family. This will be our first one for all members of our household. My sight was on the Disney Cruise line but thought the price was a bit steep for their suite options. Any suggestions on where I should book suites (cruise website, travel agent, etc.) For best prices. Tried varies times to book them on varies websites, but many don't accommodate 6 for the suites I desire to book that sleeps 6. I really just wanted to see the price to compare them. We definitely want priority perks in suites. Do I really need to call each cruise line separately to get prices?

We want to travel off season for the cost and my husband and I don't like to feel too crowded. The main bed has to be a King and the shower has to fit a 6ft man. Trying to give my husband a very low stress, work shutdown vacation once a year at least.

PS. - Been really interested in the NCL "The Haven" leaving New York/New Jersey, just want to make sure it is good for children ages 4, 6, 12, 17. We want them to be able to roam free, but also be safe.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

There really are a lot of choices but I too believe the way to go is to find a Travel Agent who specializes in cruising to guide you though all of this.

We are not allowed to recommend at TA on Cruise Critic so my recommendation is to ask friends who you think highly of who cruise if they have a TA they would recommend to you.

Keith

A 2 bedroom Haven suite leaving from NYC might work, probably some of the best perks at sea. Our family of 7 just gets connecting balconies, and my kids love it. I think the Escape is replacing the Breakaway, both ships have tons of stuff for kids to do.

I noticed you said you don’t like to feel crowded. Both my husband and I feel exceptionally crowded on any of the mainstream mass-market cruise lines. Don’t go by the empty pool, recreation area and dining venue photos. You will wait in line, although less so if you have suite priorities. And you will be sharing a much smaller space than on any land based vacation.

Before you book and while talking with a good TA, take a look at some of the more upscale ships and their offerings. The priority perks you’re paying extra for may be included as part of the regular fare and you won’t be anywhere near as crowded as the space per passenger is significantly greater. A premium or luxury cruise may or may not be what you’re looking for.

Edited by Pudgesmom

The NCL haven experience is a ship within a ship concept, so you will not have the crowds that would be on the public decks. The Haven also has its own restaurant so also exclusive. The only downside is that the menu is static so you might want to get out and change up meal options. The butler service is also great, and they will take care of things that you might want as well as bring special snacks in the afternoon, serve meals en suites when requested, etc.

Just be forewarned that the Service Charge is posted to your account daily, for every passenger. Also include in your budget would be tips for the Butler and Concierge since they are not included in the service charge pool.

There is a dedicated Norwegian board here on C.C. and you will find many answers to questions you might have.

I’m aware of how Haven works. I’m suggesting for a similar price, the entire ship would be less crowded, all the service better, and every food venue included and of superior quality, rather than be restricted to a smallish area of a larger ship.

I’m aware of how Haven works. I’m suggesting for a similar price, the entire ship would be less crowded, all the service better, and every food venue included and of superior quality, rather than be restricted to a smallish area of a larger ship.

I’m assuming the OP lives driving distance from NYC, which saves on airfare. I know my kids would prefer a mainstream line with lots of things to do, and other kids, than a luxury line with formal nights and dress codes (their favorite things about cruising is meeting other kids and hanging out, and unlimited 24 hour access to food.

I’m assuming the OP lives driving distance from NYC, which saves on airfare. I know my kids would prefer a mainstream line with lots of things to do, and other kids, than a luxury line with formal nights and dress codes (their favorite things about cruising is meeting other kids and hanging out, and unlimited 24 hour access to food.

I agree on the more things to do and more children onboard. As far as formal nights and dress codes, most of the luxury lines have scrapped those for a sort of more casual dress.

We did NCL Escape last year with 5 of us and had two connecting rooms. It is a lot cheaper than the Haven. If you are looking for luxury, than go for the Haven...I've heard it is amazing. We traveled with a then 12, 14 and 17 year old. My 12 year old was one year shy of being in the teen group so he did not want to be with the "babies" and did not do the kids program (which stunk), my 14 year old was in heaven...loved the teen group and immediately made friends with a group she hung out with all week, my 17 year old wasn't interested in doing the teen club, but he's not super social. The curfew is 1:00 a.m. For the teens and we felt the ship was safe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So, I have been researching for years for a cruise for our family. This will be our first one for all members of our household. My sight was on the Disney Cruise line but thought the price was a bit steep for their suite options. Any suggestions on where I should book suites (cruise website, travel agent, etc.) For best prices. Tried varies times to book them on varies websites, but many don't accommodate 6 for the suites I desire to book that sleeps 6. I really just wanted to see the price to compare them. We definitely want priority perks in suites. Do I really need to call each cruise line separately to get prices?

We want to travel off season for the cost and my husband and I don't like to feel too crowded. The main bed has to be a King and the shower has to fit a 6ft man. Trying to give my husband a very low stress, work shutdown vacation once a year at least.

PS. - Been really interested in the NCL "The Haven" leaving New York/New Jersey, just want to make sure it is good for children ages 4, 6, 12, 17. We want them to be able to roam free, but also be safe.

Thanks in advance!

We've sailed the Haven in a 2 bedroom suite and it was perfect for our kids - 15, 11 and 2. Also, NCL has 2 bedroom suites that are the exact same suite, just without the Haven courtyard access that are less expensive.

The second bedroom is smaller, and you could easily fit 2 kids in there. The couch folds out to sleep 2 more. The master bedroom is a king bed and the showers are full showers - you will have 2 of them, plus a bath tub. It was really a great suite for a family.