What I wish I would have known MSC Meraviglia

basketballdad

We boarded in Barcelona yesterday with a pre trip to London and Paris.

Stayed at Las Rambles Hotel the night before boarding which was a pleasant surprise for the modes cost. Still european, it had large rooms and bath, very clean and a plentiful breakfast. We would stay there again. For the price it was very nice. Not 5 star by anymeans, but good for the price. We liked Barcelona a lot, felt like the locals we extremely warm and hospitalitable and helpful. London and Paris not so much :)

Rather than dealing with retrieving luggage from our hotel after seeing the city (we flew in late the night before) we elected to take a cab to the ship and drop off our luggage. They took it at 9 am and gave us a boarding group card. We took a cab back into the city for a few hours then came back to the ship about noon and got right on. We were given group 1 and we had arrived when group 5 was being called so we got right into the short check in line. On the ship and got lunch then went our cabin and it was ready.

Let's get the topic of food out of the way. You can find most anything at the buffet. Some good variety. Pizza, burgers, salads, and a whole bunch of other items. As others have said though- the dinning room is not for the middle of the road American pallet.

Everyone is different, but if you are looking for main street USA mashed potatoes, turkey, stuffing, steaks, etc., you won't find alot. If you are inot expanding your horizons then you will have a good time in the dinning room.

The only drama was over water at dinner. We must have had a new waiter as I had specifically verified with MSc pre cruise that our USA reservations included drinking water at dinner. Our waiter wanted our room card to charge us. I told him we got it for free and he said no. We sailed at high time over the holidays and had to pay for the fantastic experience and got drink coupons so I just gave him one and he came back later and returned the drink coupon with 1 bottle of water. Our table of 6 shared it, and later got a 2nd bottle. So yes with a USA reservation you get water for free.

The ship is new and modern and high tech. Touch screens and smart room keeps you swipe. Be sure to activate your room key when you get on board. One person can attach a charge card to all in the room.

The MSC for me works well on the ship, but not before. I ttied to learn it at home and it didn't work til on board. It shows all your charges, schedules of events, menus, and mapshe of the ship. You can get tickets etc.

Dropped in to the floor show PAZ, I thought it was quite a yawner. Went to the Beatles tribute show and thought it one of the best shows I have seen in 25 cruises or so. They had a great duo singing standards in the lobby last night and a high energy Latin band mid ship. Hopefully the floor shows pick up to match the other entertainment.

One flaw is they list the band or music options but don't do a great job describing it. For example "Almost A Band" played last night. But no info what style of music they play. (Clasical, disco, classic rock, country, easy listening, latin, etc.... a brief description for all musical acts would be helpful).

The cabin is new and nice. As others have said very little closet and door space. We have our 2 youngest, teenagers, and 4 in a balcony cabin is tight. Basically half our stuff is in suitcases under the bed. The good news is that the sofa bed made into a bunkbed. My 2 sons don't do well in a sofa bed together ..lots of fighting over covers, etc. Bunk beds wih their own blankets solves this. We did have to flip a coin of who gets the top bed on the extra day..7 days, each get 3 days, who gets the last... a coin toss. I do like the variety of electrical outlets and USB outlets in the room.

TV is limited. A few English channels. But that is understandable. In fact, anyone planning this cruise needs to know this med cruise is a melting pot of many nationalities. This is not a weekend cruise from Miami to the carribean where 90 percent of the passengers are American. This is a huge mix of many nationalities. I like it but just be aware. Line crowding is common, we forget people don't understand. We went to the hot tub and my wife asked if the water was hot and got blank stares from those in. In German one guy said something. Another guy was speaking italian. Pretty cool actually but we just get use to being in a world at home where everyone understands each other.

One last thing. I like watching the ocEan and the land and coast. I get balconies. I sometimes track the moon cycles as nothing is better things an a large moon reflecting on the ocean at night, at least for me. When considering this cruse I actually asked if you could see the coast at night and someone, who turns out had no clue said no. Well I am glad we declined starboard and went port side, because for several hours the coast of Spain was very visible from our balcony. Lots of city lights reflecting magically on the ocean as we went to bed. True, early this morning there was no land in sight, but last night for sure, and the nautical maps show that tonight we will hug the coast line for a while as well.

Also, we had a table at Waves and went and changed it when we got on board. I simply asked for a table with a window. Which we got. And it was land side, which meant as we ate we could see the city lights from land reflect on the water. I told my wife we had lots of places at home we can eat that didn't have views, why sit a table on a ship without views? For me the new table was very good view wise.

Nice review!

So yes with a USA reservation you get water for free.

Yeah, the US guest get free cold water and the Chinese guests get free hot water, all others have to pay. But note, that it is not the nationality, it is the place of booking. Your US or China passport brings you no free drinks when you book in another country ;p

With the Chinese it is obvious to me, they get free hot water in every situation in there life, but is it really a mystery how you guys from the states made it to get this donation from MSC :D

I am assuming that this free (or inclusive with fantastica pkg) water at mealtime that the OP is talking about is bottled water?

I am sure they provide tap water for free (or do they not?:() I did not have a good experience with the dining reservations on the Divina so never went to the dining room.

Day 2... again got to see some cool shoreline lights at dinner and from our balcony before bed.

The Amor show was better in my opinion than the Paz show (I called it Spaz).

The several lounge acts were exactly the same as the first night and the one I followed closest played what seemed to be the exact play list as the night before. Let's hope its not the same for 7 nights in a row.

The buffet was identical to the day before for lunch as far as we could tell. 8 days of the exact same food might get old even if it is good.

When embarking they take your photo and last night they left a package of that photo with various back scenes saying here you go, take them and unless you return them to your steward and decline wanting them we will charge you 29 euro.

The kids got bored and wanted to watch tv. Nothing on except news so they, with their own money, bought a movie for 8 euros. As most know, most American cruises shoe a few movies for no charge.

There is a big push to sell you more stuff. On the promonede there is a drink stand with smoothies and shakes. And a sign saying all their drinks cost and are not included with any drink package. Hmmm, sort of weird to be able to get a 6 or 8 euro drink with our drink coupons but not get a 4 euro smoothie?

I will say our cabin steward and waiter are great and helpful and seem to be happy and helpful. Good english, we got lucky. Since we moved tables for a window at dinner, our 1st night was a temporary table, last night will be our permenant one for the remainder of the trip. First waiter was a rookie, the one we will have for rest of cruise a pro. Free water without issue. Quick food delivery as Americans generally eat faster right?

3rd day will be in Genoa. The daily planner says we will be able to see some landmarks as we pull into port.

We sailed that cruise last week (22-29) and we’re underwhelmed by the whole experience. The food was just so so in the restaurants and even the fare at the prebooked Cirque de Solie, Eatily and Butchers Cut failed to enhance our experience.

The buffet was well worth avoiding. The choice varied little daily but it was our fellow guests that ruined the environment with their queue (line) jumping and ‘me first’ attitude.

Having sailed MSC before, we were aware of their daily disembarking and embarking guests so this was not a surprise.

We had vowed, after sailing the Med with MSC in 2012, that we would a, never sail the Med again and b, never sail MSC again and it was only because this was a Christmas cruise and we’d be sailing with ten friends that we relented on our promise.

The only good thing was the drinks package. At €182 for the week, it proved great value for money plus, there was no restriction on he amount of drinks bought in a single transaction. This was especially useful when buying a large round for the twelve of us. One round of drinks would have cost in excess of €80 had it been bought.

The other great thing about MSC is that it’s a wonderful advert for NCL

We boarded in Barcelona yesterday with a pre trip to London and Paris.

Stayed at Las Rambles Hotel the night before boarding which was a pleasant surprise for the modes cost. Still european, it had large rooms and bath, very clean and a plentiful breakfast. We would stay there again. For the price it was very nice. Not 5 star by anymeans, but good for the price. We liked Barcelona a lot, felt like the locals we extremely warm and hospitalitable and helpful. London and Paris not so much :)

Rather than dealing with retrieving luggage from our hotel after seeing the city (we flew in late the night before) we elected to take a cab to the ship and drop off our luggage. They took it at 9 am and gave us a boarding group card. We took a cab back into the city for a few hours then came back to the ship about noon and got right on. We were given group 1 and we had arrived when group 5 was being called so we got right into the short check in line. On the ship and got lunch then went our cabin and it was ready.

Let's get the topic of food out of the way. You can find most anything at the buffet. Some good variety. Pizza, burgers, salads, and a whole bunch of other items. As others have said though- the dinning room is not for the middle of the road American pallet.

Everyone is different, but if you are looking for main street USA mashed potatoes, turkey, stuffing, steaks, etc., you won't find alot. If you are inot expanding your horizons then you will have a good time in the dinning room.

The only drama was over water at dinner. We must have had a new waiter as I had specifically verified with MSc pre cruise that our USA reservations included drinking water at dinner. Our waiter wanted our room card to charge us. I told him we got it for free and he said no. We sailed at high time over the holidays and had to pay for the fantastic experience and got drink coupons so I just gave him one and he came back later and returned the drink coupon with 1 bottle of water. Our table of 6 shared it, and later got a 2nd bottle. So yes with a USA reservation you get water for free.

The ship is new and modern and high tech. Touch screens and smart room keeps you swipe. Be sure to activate your room key when you get on board. One person can attach a charge card to all in the room.

The MSC for me works well on the ship, but not before. I ttied to learn it at home and it didn't work til on board. It shows all your charges, schedules of events, menus, and mapshe of the ship. You can get tickets etc.

Dropped in to the floor show PAZ, I thought it was quite a yawner. Went to the Beatles tribute show and thought it one of the best shows I have seen in 25 cruises or so. They had a great duo singing standards in the lobby last night and a high energy Latin band mid ship. Hopefully the floor shows pick up to match the other entertainment.

One flaw is they list the band or music options but don't do a great job describing it. For example "Almost A Band" played last night. But no info what style of music they play. (Clasical, disco, classic rock, country, easy listening, latin, etc.... a brief description for all musical acts would be helpful).

The cabin is new and nice. As others have said very little closet and door space. We have our 2 youngest, teenagers, and 4 in a balcony cabin is tight. Basically half our stuff is in suitcases under the bed. The good news is that the sofa bed made into a bunkbed. My 2 sons don't do well in a sofa bed together ..lots of fighting over covers, etc. Bunk beds wih their own blankets solves this. We did have to flip a coin of who gets the top bed on the extra day..7 days, each get 3 days, who gets the last... a coin toss. I do like the variety of electrical outlets and USB outlets in the room.

TV is limited. A few English channels. But that is understandable. In fact, anyone planning this cruise needs to know this med cruise is a melting pot of many nationalities. This is not a weekend cruise from Miami to the carribean where 90 percent of the passengers are American. This is a huge mix of many nationalities. I like it but just be aware. Line crowding is common, we forget people don't understand. We went to the hot tub and my wife asked if the water was hot and got blank stares from those in. In German one guy said something. Another guy was speaking italian. Pretty cool actually but we just get use to being in a world at home where everyone understands each other.

One last thing. I like watching the ocEan and the land and coast. I get balconies. I sometimes track the moon cycles as nothing is better things an a large moon reflecting on the ocean at night, at least for me. When considering this cruse I actually asked if you could see the coast at night and someone, who turns out had no clue said no. Well I am glad we declined starboard and went port side, because for several hours the coast of Spain was very visible from our balcony. Lots of city lights reflecting magically on the ocean as we went to bed. True, early this morning there was no land in sight, but last night for sure, and the nautical maps show that tonight we will hug the coast line for a while as well.

Also, we had a table at Waves and went and changed it when we got on board. I simply asked for a table with a window. Which we got. And it was land side, which meant as we ate we could see the city lights from land reflect on the water. I told my wife we had lots of places at home we can eat that didn't have views, why sit a table on a ship without views? For me the new table was very good view wise.

Hmmmmm.. Charging for tap water in the buffet, and HIGH sales pressure from ship's crew ?:eek: OMG !! I can just hear the 'nickle and dime' choir starting their American chants NOW !! (Much, like the blank stare I got in an Pub in Ireland when I asked for..(gasp!!) my Irish whiskey served OVER ice !!) I understand now that it's not very European to expect water OR ice or both with a meal. But explaining this to my wife BEFORE I booked a cruise on MSC would be a argument lost, before I even started. She is such a HUGH fan of 'waters of life' that having to BUY such a package would be lost on her:rolleyes:

Mac

OK this is getting a bit annoying. First, it's New Years eve. Most of the 5000 guests looking for something to do after dinner til the count down. There was a music duo in the lobby with 100 or so gathered around. Then there was a very good band off the promenade with 50 chairs and a dance floor for 50 more. The theatre had a show for 45 minutes and you can only see each show once.

So what to do? Walk around and around and around? The good is that Magic Friends was a very good show. The bad? Nothing to do. On many ships there are several options of music, comedians, shows, karaoke, you name it. Discos, dance places, bands, etc. All in abundance. Not here. They had 30 minutes of karaoke the first night. True they are dealing with so many nationalities it might not work well for karaoke. But give us lots of options. Bamboo pool would be an awesome inside venue for a dj or band.

At new years about 2500 people tried to cram into the promenade.

The other many concern is lack of food at odd hours. It's new years. About 1110 pm my wife wants a snack. Everything except the last of the speciality cost extra places are closed. Everything! Nothing opens til 630 am tomorrow. 7.5 hours of no food choices! True we are not going to die, but we are on a cruise. At least feed us something! Due to jet lag and weird body clock I got up the first day at 430 am. At 545 am I went to get something to eat and the muffins were on the buffet table behind the glass and the buffet was closed. A worker was setting up and I asked for a muffin and he said they are closed. There was no one around. I looked at the muffin, pointed at it, and said please

He looked around and saw no one and handed me one. A guest shouldn't have to ask a worker to bend the rules for a muffin! A ships food should not be closed.

This is not like cruising at home. Not saying it's wrong, just be aware of things that they are so different here.

Good news, the fruit in our room from our steward was still good and my wife ate a pear. Counting down the 6 or 7 hours until any food, even the buffet, is open.

Grrrrrrr

Enjoying your report. BTW, when sailing on Oceania’s Marina, we also found times when there was nothing available to eat. Agree that with travel and jet lag, or returning back onboard from an early excursion, there can be odd times when a snack or a few bites are needed to hold you until the next meal.

Looking forward to your next post. Happy New Year![emoji312]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Enjoying your report. BTW, when sailing on Oceania’s Marina, we also found times when there was nothing available to eat. Agree that with travel and jet lag, or returning back onboard from an early excursion, there can be odd times when a snack or a few bites are needed to hold you until the next meal.

Looking forward to your next post. Happy New Year![emoji312]

Is there not room service 24/7?

The other many concern is lack of food at odd hours. It's new years. About 1110 pm my wife wants a snack. Everything except the last of the speciality cost extra places are closed. Everything! Nothing opens til 630 am tomorrow. 7.5 hours of no food choices!

I guess you are wrong. We were on the Meraviglia in November and the Pizzeria was open EVERY DAY until 2am. And it cannot be missed, because loads of people gather around there.

I'm at s loss for words. Are you really saying that there is NOT tap water in the restaurants unless you pay for it?!

Free water, coffee and tea 24h at the buffet.

Free ice water for US guest and free hot water for chinese guests in the main restaurants. All others have to pay for bottled water, but Europeans are used to this as tap water is usually not free anywhere.

1. Room Service is a charge for many passengers.

2. On MSC & Costa there is a charge for bottled water, as tap water is not provided.

What a scam! I really don't know what else to say.

All categories have free 24/7 room service except Bella. If you cannot handle a non-US-ship just keep cruising only with the US companies.

that is a bit rude.. I am posting what I wish I would have known... and no one is saying anyone can not handle anything.

About tap water, still water, in the dinning rooms it is only free at dinner with a reservation made through the USA travel office.

No the pizza was closed at 11 pm last night. The buffet was completely closed last night at 11. We checked. And checked the dailies. Closed.

All categories have free 24/7 room service except Bella. If you cannot handle a non-US-ship just keep cruising only with the US companies.

Well Cunard, gives free room service and tap water in the dining rooms! Perhaps a world class European line can excel with service, MSC & Costa choose not to. It is their choice, they could be better, if they wanted to.

Well Cunard, gives free room service and tap water in the dining rooms! Perhaps a world class European line can excel with service, MSC & Costa choose not to. It is their choice, they could be better, if they wanted to.

You really think this is a useful comparison? Of cause the European luxury liners have all this included in the price, even the German lines have included almost everything, but they are certainly much much much more expensive than Costa and MSC.

And I really did not mean to be rude, basketballdad and was referring to your posting. Hearing that they closed the Pizzeria already at 11pm of cause is a bad thing, you should ask why. The midnight slice of Pizza is a nice detail of all MSC cruises for me.

But if somebody thinks that getting charged for room service and water is a scam, then I really think it is better to stay in the US and on US boats ;) By the way, in more and more European middle class hotels you will be charged if you have a booking for three nights and want to have room service on day 2 and 3. I like, I don´t want to have it, I don´t want to pay for it :)

The other great thing about MSC is that it’s a wonderful advert for NCL

NCLs superhigh prices for the Haven is the best advert MSC can get for their Yacht Club.

MSCs Yacht Club must be the best value for money in the whole cruise industri.

Not only is water included all Champagne you can drink is also included in the price.

You can see in my signature that I like NCL but I still think that MSCs Yacht Club is the best value for money.