Insuring only part of my trip

roxyandbailey

I feel like I missed the boat on this aspect of my trip planning. I purchased cruise insurance from NCL for $99 each for my husband and myself for our 10 night cruise in New Zealand and also we bought the $99 cruise insurance for our second cruise which follows in Australia for Feb 2018. Not sure I did the right thing considering I have $400 invested and possibly not everything covered that we need.

I don't have our airfare of $1050 each covered or our private excursions covered. I called the trip insurance store and I could add insurance to cover $1500 each for $158 dollars. Not sure if this would be beneficial to insure part of our trip or not.

We live in the US and I am 60 and my husband is 61 so no medicare issues.We are healthy. We have good medical insurance,

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Terry

We always have all our non-refundable trip expenses covered by travel insurance for trip dates from the time we leave home till we get back home. This includes airfare being a component of our trip expenses. It gives us the peace of mind in case the unwanted happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I feel like I missed the boat on this aspect of my trip planning. I purchased cruise insurance from NCL for $99 each for my husband and myself for our 10 night cruise in New Zealand and also we bought the $99 cruise insurance for our second cruise which follows in Australia for Feb 2018. Not sure I did the right thing considering I have $400 invested and possibly not everything covered that we need.

I don't have our airfare of $1050 each covered or our private excursions covered. I called the trip insurance store and I could add insurance to cover $1500 each for $158 dollars. Not sure if this would be beneficial to insure part of our trip or not.

We live in the US and I am 60 and my husband is 61 so no medicare issues.We are healthy. We have good medical insurance,

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Terry

"We have good medical insurance" - do you mean it will cover you out of country? And cover medical evacuation/repatriation costs?

If you used a credit card to pay for various portions of your trip (airfare, cruise, etc) you may have limited coverage included automatically. Few offer medical coverage, but several have limited coverage for trip delay or trip cancellation. (MC, Visa, Amex, etc)

Before considering to cover only part of your costs, be aware that some policies will require you to insure the FULL cost of the trip in order to have coverage.

Read your policy to determine what coverage is required in order to secure the benefits.

We have always purchased our policies at the time of initial deposit to get the pre-existing condition waiver and always add to our coverage totals once additional non-refundable costs are known (such as airfare and any pre-paid hotel/excursion costs).

Thank you all for the great advice. I used a venture visa credit card for the airfare without realizing at the time this card does not have trip insurance for it which surprised me considering it is a travel reward card. I did use a sapphire card for part of the cruise fare which does have travel insurance but confused if this would cover insurance on my flight for any issues or only the cruise part.