International Flight With Connecting in US

martyap

I'm looking for a r/t from JFK > BCN

I saw a really good price on JFK>PHILA>BCN and BCN>PHILA>JFK

This American flight is running $506 r/t and the closest non stop with times that work is Delta at $907

My question.......the connecting in Phila is about an hour for each. Is that enough time especially on the return home?

Do you have to go through customs in Phila or at JFK?

Thanks

No, one hour is not enough. You’ve got to get through passport control, wait for checked bags (this took me 45 min last week at SEA), clear customs, drop your bag off for your next flight and reclear security before going to your next gate. Even if you had Global Entry, this would be very tight.

AUA, NAS, FPO, BDA and AUH also have US preclearance.

No, one hour is not enough. You’ve got to get through passport control, wait for checked bags (this took me 45 min last week at SEA), clear customs, drop your bag off for your next flight and reclear security before going to your next gate. Even if you had Global Entry, this would be very tight.

AUA, NAS, FPO, BDA and AUH also have US preclearance.

Curious where you see these other preclearance airports? Is there a list somewhere? I can see some Caribbean airports, but Abu Dhabi?

OP - where are you finding this AA flight with the one hour connection? Is this for your October 2018 cruise?

I am finding minimum connection time at PHL, international to domestic to be 75 minutes.

You didn’t list exact travel dates, but there’s a nonstop on AA for $619 RT, JFK-BCN. I’d book that one.

Edited by 6rugrats

OP - where are you finding this AA flight with the one hour connection? Is this for your October 2018 cruise?

I am finding minimum connection time at PHL, international to domestic to be 75 minutes.

You didn’t list exact travel dates, but there’s a nonstop on AA for $619 RT, JFK-BCN. I’d book that one.

I need a flight from JFK to BCN on 10/12/18 with a return on 10/23.

The non stop AA is great except the flight on 10/23 is 10am and I'm concerned about getting through BCN that early. Great price at $619

The DL non stop on those dates are better times but $907. If we wanted to fly into BCN on 10/11 the same DL flight is $650.

Not sure what to do.....any advice

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would book the AA nonstop, and spend the night in Barcelona, leaving the next day.

If price is your main concern, look at TAP - $433 RT. They allow a free stopover if you're interested.

Edited by 6rugrats

I would book the AA nonstop, and spend the night in Barcelona, leaving the next day.

If price is your main concern, look at TAP - $433 RT. They allow a free stopover if you're interested.

Do you think the DL flight might come down in price or is it more likely it will go up. Cannot stay the extra day after the cruise so that’s out. Could possibly fly in on 10/11 but the overall savings not that big and we have been to Barcelona twice before

Know nothing about TAP

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you think the DL flight might come down in price or is it more likely it will go up. Cannot stay the extra day after the cruise so that’s out. Could possibly fly in on 10/11 but the overall savings not that big and we have been to Barcelona twice before

Know nothing about TAP

TAP is Portugal's main airline, a Star Alliance member; as mentioned, they offer a free stopover. Thus, you could fly to Lisbon on the 11th/arriving on the 12th, and then go on to BCN on the 13th, for as little as $434.61.

Note that looking at TAP's website, I see they've adopted the 'many shades of economy' model, and thus the cheapest fares don't include checked luggage or advanced seat selection. So, you have to make sure you realize what you're purchasing.

OP - where are you finding this AA flight with the one hour connection?
I need a flight from JFK to BCN on 10/12/18 with a return on 10/23.
You haven't answered 6rugrats' very good question about where you're finding flights with a one-hour connection in either direction.

The shortest JFK-PHL-BCN // BCN-PHL-JFK itineraries that I can see on your dates have a 1:33 connection on the way out and a 2:05 connection on the way back.

If you really are being offered a one-hour connection, then it's important that you think carefully about who is offering it to you. You may be being sold something dodgy which gives you no recourse if the "connection" goes wrong. I'm thinking in particular about the possibility of an unscrupulous website which is selling you two separate tickets (one JFK-PHL-JFK and one PHL-BCN-PHL), ignoring the published official Minimum Connection Times (which are irrelevant anyway if you have two separate tickets), and failing to warn you of the risks that you're incurring by doing this.

So: where are you finding these AA flights with one-hour connections?

Fiona, how does TAP compare with American airlines and British airways? We are looking to fly from Amsterdam to Miami end August. Debating whether to pay extra for premium economy or even splurge on business class for sitting comfort.

Fiona, how does TAP compare with American airlines and British airways? We are looking to fly from Amsterdam to Miami end August. Debating whether to pay extra for premium economy or even splurge on business class for sitting comfort.

Hard for me to say. I have never flown with American and not with BA for a long time. I suspect the bells and whistles, especially as regards in-flight entertainment, will be much more up-to-date on those two than on TAP, who are currently in the process of upgrading but are moving very slowly.

Price-wise, I have usually found TAP to be one of the cheaper options, but they do tend to be a bit more expensive in August with it being peak summer holiday time.

On our recent flights there was no separate cabin for premium economy, just a business class cabin and an economy one. Our economy class seats were perfectly comfortable in themselves, and a blanket and small pillow were provided, but we did feel quite cramped on the overnight return flight when the folks in front reclined their seat backs. However, when you book the flights, even if you choose one of the cheaper fares bands, you can pay to select your seat straight away rather than waiting for a random assignment when you check in. That may give you the option of choosing emergency exit or bulkhead seats for more leg room and could be a cost-effective way of getting more comfort without having to pay the much higher rates for business class.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. :(

You haven't answered 6rugrats' very good question about where you're finding flights with a one-hour connection in either direction.

The shortest JFK-PHL-BCN // BCN-PHL-JFK itineraries that I can see on your dates have a 1:33 connection on the way out and a 2:05 connection on the way back.

If you really are being offered a one-hour connection, then it's important that you think carefully about who is offering it to you. You may be being sold something dodgy which gives you no recourse if the "connection" goes wrong. I'm thinking in particular about the possibility of an unscrupulous website which is selling you two separate tickets (one JFK-PHL-JFK and one PHL-BCN-PHL), ignoring the published official Minimum Connection Times (which are irrelevant anyway if you have two separate tickets), and failing to warn you of the risks that you're incurring by doing this.

So: where are you finding these AA flights with one-hour connections?

I looked quickly and you might be correct

I use matrix to search

Just found this very recent article about TAP on Business Insider, which may be of some help:

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-its-like-to-fly-on-tap-the-airline-with-the-most-handsome-crew-in-the-world-2017-12

Thank you, this is definitely interesting to read. Have to accept that August, even last week , is more expensive. TAP offers cheapest business option, perhaps because they do not offer a premium economy option?

But I do not have a happy memory of the one time I flew business (TAP London to Lisbon) and had a child repeatedly knocking my seat. Admittedly this was probably a one-off and also over 15 years ago but it still sticks in my mind!

Just found this very recent article about TAP on Business Insider, which may be of some help:

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-its-like-to-fly-on-tap-the-airline-with-the-most-handsome-crew-in-the-world-2017-12

"Most handsome crew" LOL. Would you agree? :D

ZzMSpgtYePTIxuQSPNFfxCZvkJ5obx4fQDI8BfWCRgg?size=1280x960&size_mode=3

As an aside, I recently went to a Fashion in the Air exhibition in the Kunsthal Rotterdam. It was fun, over 40 years of air stewardess apparel. KLM, BA and TAP all featured. Some of the outfits were really tiny.

"Most handsome crew" LOL. Would you agree? :D

ZzMSpgtYePTIxuQSPNFfxCZvkJ5obx4fQDI8BfWCRgg?size=1280x960&size_mode=3

As an aside, I recently went to a Fashion in the Air exhibition in the Kunsthal Rotterdam. It was fun, over 40 years of air stewardess apparel. KLM, BA and TAP all featured. Some of the outfits were really tiny.

Haha! I would have to say they're probably stretching the point. :D But, on the whole, their cabin crew are usually very friendly and approachable unlike a couple of other airlines I could mention.

But I do not have a happy memory of the one time I flew business (TAP London to Lisbon) and had a child repeatedly knocking my seat. Admittedly this was probably a one-off and also over 15 years ago but it still sticks in my mind!

That could (and does!) happen on any airline so I wouldn't hold it against TAP. :)