Qm2 late leaving

transatlantic fan

Thanks for the update. I have been checking out the New York Harbor webcam to watch QM2's departure this evening. I guess I won't need to be waiting around here watching anymore this evening. Have a safe trip once you do get underway.

Regards, John

It's the storm that is about to sock the NE US coast with snow and single-digit degrees Fahrenheit cold.

FWIW, QM2 left New York 8 hours late on the Dec. 8th EB crossing. Both turbines were running (according to a ship's officer) as she had to make up time and one diesel was down for maintenance. (Turbine exhaust could be observed behind and below the main funnel.) We never went below 22 knots, on some days 23-24 and on the day of best weather we did better than 25 knots. Arrived in Southampton on time. It was a good example of Stephen Payne's rational that a liner needs reserve power.

Edited by BlueRiband

Delaying the departure was a big mistake. If not delayed by the next morning they’d be getting out of the systems reach. Instead they left after it already passed nyc and thus had to navigate the entire width.

Storms are dynamic - always shifting in what path they will take. I'm sure Captain Wells evaluated all of the weather data on Friday and decided that remaining in port was expected to have the worst of it pass. It's not a light decision as time in port means extra wharfage fees and extra fuel to arrive in Southampton on time.

Capt. Wells has been doing a really fine job keeping us up to the minute on our progress. He explained the technical challenges of a Force 10-11 following sea yesterday noon, although I believe we bounced more making the passage between Australia and Hobart several years ago than the last two days.

We did see a window full of green water one time in the passage with the puzzles on deck 2.

Smoother this morning, fun at ABBA night last night, and the new (to us) G-32 band we like better than previous bands—more general 60’s rock and less Carribean.

David

Storms are dynamic - always shifting in what path they will take. I'm sure Captain Wells evaluated all of the weather data on Friday and decided that remaining in port was expected to have the worst of it pass. It's not a light decision as time in port means extra wharfage fees and extra fuel to arrive in Southampton on time.

Please don’t think I’m questioning the captain. However this storm was going to bomb at the benchmark, it wasn’t any question. I’m certain there is reasoning but it had to be more than factoring in rough seas leaving.

RCCL did something similar a year or two ago and paid dearly for it.