Dining Room Dress Code?

Jaclynroseg

Question...so how strict is the “cruise casual” dress code? I’m traveling with three teenage boys who I would like to see at some point (was thinking dinner) during our trip, so I don’t want them to have to eat at the buffet every night. However, they are also teenage boys who go to Catholic School 5 days a week. Basketball shorts and t-shirts are their part time uniform.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can very easily find the info in the FAQ on the carnival site. But basketball shorts and t-shirts not for dinner at least.

Yes, I saw that. I was just trying to figure out if they actually stuck to it. It also is very specific about elegant night, but I’ve heard people show up in jeans.

You didn't mention the cruise line. Ask your self what do you wear when you go to a nice restaurant at home. You can check what to wear on your cruise lines web site. Have a great cruise.

This is the Carnival board, so ...

Question...so how strict is the “cruise casual” dress code? I’m traveling with three teenage boys who I would like to see at some point (was thinking dinner) during our trip, so I don’t want them to have to eat at the buffet every night. However, they are also teenage boys who go to Catholic School 5 days a week. Basketball shorts and t-shirts are their part time uniform.

No "gym" attired during any evening in the MDR; however a nice (no holes) pair of jeans will serve them well.

On the formal night my son wears dress pants and a button down. He also enjoys a tie. Lol. On the other nights I have allowed him to wear a pair of khaki pants with a nice polo shirt or a good pair of jeans with a trendy shirt. However you asked if they enforce the dress code so I will say it’s honestly 50/50. I saw a gentlemen get told he could not come in in his jeans that were ripped. He returned in pajama pants. They reluctantly let him in. I think there is a bit of understanding with kids but I could be wrong. expecting children to dress to the nines every night just won’t happen. Tell the teens to bring at least a couple shirts without any writing maybe and that might pacify the haters. I’m sure they will love the food in the mdr. I hope you guys have a fantastic holiday!

Carnival says gentlemen are to wear long pants with a collared shirt on American Table nights. That ensemble is also acceptable on American Feast (Elegant) nights, but they would encourage suits/ties/tuxedos.

Enforcement is pretty lax. On our last cruise, we followed Carnival's suggestion -- even our 8 and 7 year old kids. The couple at the table next to us arrived every. single. night. in shorts (cut-off jean shorts once) and t-shirts. I think it really depends on the ship and how the maître d' feels at the time.

Yes, I saw that. I was just trying to figure out if they actually stuck to it. It also is very specific about elegant night, but I’ve heard people show up in jeans.

Jeans aren't basketball shorts, its not hard to dress casual, and be respectful of others eating near you, such as taking off the baseball cap in the dining room, etc.!:eek:

Our 9 YO grandson is going on his first cruise with us next year. He'll be dressed like his grandpa on cruise casual nights- a pair of shorts and a polo, or a nice t-shirt (no slogans). On elegant night, he'll again mimic grandpa and wear a pair of long khakis and a polo (definitely a collar this time).

My husband has dressed this way on every cruise and has never been turned away, any night. I would expect that if it's acceptable for him, it will be okay for my grandson.

So I think your kids should be fine, especially if you stay away from the 'Too Sexy for Homework' t-shirts on them!

They are on a cruise ship, not at school, and that uniform is a violation of the Dress code. Then again, when someone asks how strict Carnival is about enforcing the rules, I'm pretty sure they are going to do whatever they want anyway and are just looking for moral support for their anticipated rule violations.

There is a difference between dressing casual and dressing elegant. It was two different conversations. The basketball shorts were a totally different conversation than the one you quoted. Yes, I am raising my children they don’t wear hats at the table (or in any building for that matter), but thank you.

On Carnival ships, it's as strict as the Maitre d' wants to make it. (unless someone complains, that is)

As parents, we teach our children how to dress appropriately for the situation. We are a military family, so following the rules is kind of our nature, and our kids are being raised accordingly ;). My kids will not be accompanying us on our upcoming cruise, but if they were, they would follow Carnival's dress code...my son (16 yrs old) would wear dress pants, tie, and coat. My daughters (15 & 21 yrs old) would wear lovely dresses. My husband would either wear his dress blues or a suit, and I am wearing a bad a$$ cocktail dress.< ---- For Elegant Nights

For regular dining in MDR, my son would wear khakis or jeans & a polo, daughters would wear summer dresses or blouses/jeans. We don't do shorts for dinners...lunch yes, dinner no...even if we are going out to eat in regular, nonvacation, life.

Edited by BookDragon

As parents, we teach our children how to dress appropriately for the situation. We are a military family, so following the rules is kind of our nature, and our kids are being raised accordingly ;). My kids will not be accompanying us on our upcoming cruise, but if they were, they would follow Carnival's dress code...my son (16 yrs old) would wear dress pants, tie, and coat. My daughters (15 & 21 yrs old) would wear lovely dresses. My husband would either wear his dress blues or a suit, and I am wearing a bad a$$ cocktail dress.

That’s the dress for the elegant dinner. I was just trying to find out about the regular dinners. My children won’t be at the elegant night, I assure you. If for no other reason than so they can stay back and watch their sister. I was just curious to know what it was like at the main dining room for regular nights, but from the responses I’m getting it appears that the dress code will vary as much as the responses.

That’s the dress for the elegant dinner. I was just trying to find out about the regular dinners. My children won’t be at the elegant night, I assure you. If for no other reason than so they can stay back and watch their sister. I was just curious to know what it was like at the main dining room for regular nights, but from the responses I’m getting it appears that the dress code will vary as much as the responses.

Yeah, I saw that and edited my response to include regular dinner nights.

As parents, we teach our children how to dress appropriately for the situation. We are a military family, so following the rules is kind of our nature, and our kids are being raised accordingly ;). My kids will not be accompanying us on our upcoming cruise, but if they were, they would follow Carnival's dress code...my son (16 yrs old) would wear dress pants, tie, and coat. My daughters (15 & 21 yrs old) would wear lovely dresses. My husband would either wear his dress blues or a suit, and I am wearing a bad a$$ cocktail dress.< ---- For Elegant Nights

Just to clear up any confusion here, Carnival's dress code for elegant night is long pants and dress (collar) shirt. There is no requirement for coat and tie or dresses for ladies. It is merely a suggestion or recommendation that can or cannot be followed.

Just to clear up any confusion here, Carnival's dress code for elegant night is long pants and dress (collar) shirt. There is no requirement for coat and tie or dresses for ladies. It is merely a suggestion or recommendation that can or cannot be followed.

Thank you for clariifying. To us, recommendations and/or suggestions ARE requirements. That is the military in us I guess... I will say that it doesn't bother us when others interpret this differently. We dress for ourselves and it's nice to take pride in how we and our children outwardly and inwardly present ourselves.

My son is 13 and has been cruising since 3. We used to dress him in khaki pants or long shorts, that are starched and ironed (easy to pack ) during regular dinners. He still dresses that way, either with dress pants, khaki or dark blue and a collared shirt, mostly short sleeve now. We also have him dress in regular shoes, not Nike slides like he wears all the time at home. All the rest of the cruise, you will find him in pajama pants (usually some video game character and this is not always at night), basketball shorts or swim trunks and those slides. Lol. I usually buy him a pair of closed toe shoes at JCPenney or target for the cruise because he doesn't wear them throughout the year very much. He will mostly wear tennis shoes to school.

Sent from my iPad using Forums