Cruises in or around Vienna?

limbojones

Hi there,

it turns out that i will be in Vienna in April for a few days and i want to make the best out of it, so i thought, why no explore the area by boat? When i googled, i found loads of infortmation on day-cruises you can take, but i dont really know which rivers and canals are interesting. Any first-hand experiences here in the forum?

The Danube? But, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. If you just want a daytour, I'd just pick what you think looks interesting.

I've only been there on a river cruise once, but didn't feel that was a really good way to see anything.

Hi Limbojones,

you most certainly want to cruise onthe Danube. It is the big and famous river close to Vienna. Its canal „Donaukanal“ leads through the city, so this is the obvious choice.

Besides that, it is worth taking a cruise on the Danube, because the surroundings of Vienna wich you can easily explore this way are just great.

Have you ever been in Vienna before? If not, I suggest you spent some days in the city and than take the boat, because thats how you will get the best impression of the area.

In Vienna, you can also take a ride on the „Donaukanal“, but this will only take one or two hours. The rest of the time you can e.g. visit Schönbrunn Palace, the museums and churches of the city, the „Prater“ or just relax in the famous „Kaffeehäuser“.

For further information about the Danube and the surroundings, you can check out this article:

https://www.viennasightseeing.at/explore-vienna/blue-danube-austrian-river-inspired-strauss

The Danube? But, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. If you just want a daytour, I'd just pick what you think looks interesting.

I've only been there on a river cruise once, but didn't feel that was a really good way to see anything.

Thanks for your answer. Why are you feeling that it wasnt a good way to see anything. Wasnt the river scenery worthwile watching?

@AmeliaF

Thanks for your answer, too! I will absolutely check out the Link.

In contrast to Budapest which is located right on the Danube, Vienna's downtown is not on the river nor are any of Vienna's major sights. A nice day trip would be to the Wachau, a hilly wine growing area up river. The other option is a fast catamaran to Bratislava downriver, but the Danube shores there are flat all the way.

The reason why old Vienna is not located on the river: swamps and flood plains.

As was mentioned, downtown Vienna is not that close to the Danube, and the best stuff to see in Vienna is...well Vienna. We only had one day there on our cruise, and really enjoyed seeing St. Stephen's Cathedral, the Hofburg Palace, and having coffee, etc., at Cafe Demel. Close to the Hofburg, are the Lipizan Horses (Spanish Riding School), and the Jewish Museum of Vienna.