MSC Seaside MDR food

cruisefoodie1949

Has anyone sailed on the Seaside's January 6, 2018 sailing?

Curious about the MDR food and service levels. Previous posts have not been very positive. Please be honest.

Sailing on the Seaside on June 16, 2018.

Have you been reading the reviews on CC or watched any videos on youtube. This is why your not getting any responses. The info is out there ......

Has anyone sailed on the Seaside's January 6, 2018 sailing?

Curious about the MDR food and service levels. Previous posts have not been very positive. Please be honest.

Sailing on the Seaside on June 16, 2018.

We were in the Seaside Jan. 6 sailing. Except for the first night, when service was slow, the other nights were fine. We really liked our server and his assistant. They were friendly and efficient and did their best to please us.

We thought the food was good. Some things we liked better than others, but overall, it seemed about the same as other cruiselines in the MDR.

As the OP name of "cruisefoodie" implies...you know a little something about food.... and want to hear from someone onboard about the quality of the food and the service....especially with the many negative reviews complaining about the food. I also would like to hear from someone with a more discriminating palate as to the quality. A number of cruiselines built their reputation on the quality of the food...Celebrity and Oceania come to mind...so telling me "food is subjective" tells me nothing. I'm interested in hearing from someone with some food knowledge and someone who can compare the food on MSC to other cruiselines they've travelled. That would be very helpful.

I agree that having real experience from a person on board is good, and I won’t be onboard till next week, but I am a chef by trade and so of course, food quality will be important to me...,but let’s be honest and fair..,to some not having as much food as they are “use to”after 11:00pm and after a full dinner is a deal breaker. And to some, having heads on their shrimp “staring back at them” is a gross. I, for one, will go with an open mind. I have been on just about every cruise line out there, Some I have enjoyed the food more than others, but I have NEVER gone hungry...I assume, if you are a reasonable person, you will not go hungry either. Just relax, it’s a vacation after all.

MDR service can easily change by June, and will vary by server, so not sure reviews of that right now are going to help. We were any time (Aurea) on the Christmas sailing, and it was very hit or miss depending on who's section they sat us in. The two servers we had that were really, really slow I'm sure will get better with time.

Food-wise, we were pretty happy all week. I'm no foodie, but aside from the short ribs one night (way overcooked) and the almost kids-menu style Philly cheesesteak in the MDR at lunch one day, we really didn't have any food quality complaints.

I was on the Jan 6th sailing and had dinner in the MDR every night (Seashore Restaurant). Overall, I felt the service and quality were good for the most part. The best way to describe everything was inconsistent, which I feel will improve as they get more into a routine as time goes by. There were several instances of the very same dish being very different at our table, such as one person's dish swimming in porcini mushrooms and another having hardly any. Servers were very attentive to take care of any issues very quickly and mostly friendly, except one incident. My wife ordered a pasta dish that she thought was with a red sauce that had mushrooms in it, but when it came it was a porcini mushroom sauce and the server noticed that she didn't want this and immediately offered to get her something else. She said she will just take the roasted chicken from the classic menu (offered most nights). He then proceeded to go get the menu, put it in front of her face, and point out that she needed to read the description of the dish next time! Seemed a little unnecessary to me.

We found the bar service to be very good every night, no problems getting drinks at all.

Our biggest disappointment was on the Captain's Elegant night when we expected Prime Rib to be on the menu but it was not. They offered it along with Surf and Turf and another special dish every night but those three were an upcharge. Bob

I agree that having real experience from a person on board is good, and I won’t be onboard till next week, but I am a chef by trade and so of course, food quality will be important to me...,but let’s be honest and fair..,to some not having as much food as they are “use to”after 11:00pm and after a full dinner is a deal breaker. And to some, having heads on their shrimp “staring back at them” is a gross. I, for one, will go with an open mind. I have been on just about every cruise line out there, Some I have enjoyed the food more than others, but I have NEVER gone hungry...I assume, if you are a reasonable person, you will not go hungry either. Just relax, it’s a vacation after all.

I see you are in Seattle. We are sailing next month on Seaside, but also booked a Princess Alaska cruise in August. Looking for some place to go fo meals a few nights before we sail. I know the Space Needle will be open by then, but wanted to know your thoughts on restaurants downton. We are staying at Homewood Suites on Western Ave.

Our biggest disappointment was on the Captain's Elegant night when we expected Prime Rib to be on the menu but it was not. They offered it along with Surf and Turf and another special dish every night but those three were an upcharge. Bob

Bob, our waiter (we are onboard Seaside now too) said there wouldn’t be an Elegant Night this week because “they couldn’t get lobster in Miami.” Have you heard this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob, our waiter (we are onboard Seaside now too) said there wouldn’t be an Elegant Night this week because “they couldn’t get lobster in Miami.” Have you heard this??

Is lobster back in the menu for elegant night? Last year you could only get it for an up charge?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bob, our waiter (we are onboard Seaside now too) said there wouldn’t be an Elegant Night this week because “they couldn’t get lobster in Miami.” Have you heard this?

No, but there is only one Elegant night again this week and I'll try and check.. I think Lobster is always an upcharge. Bob

I see you are in Seattle. We are sailing next month on Seaside, but also booked a Princess Alaska cruise in August. Looking for some place to go fo meals a few nights before we sail. I know the Space Needle will be open by then, but wanted to know your thoughts on restaurants downton. We are staying at Homewood Suites on Western Ave.

There are so many good restaurants downtown. What cuisines do you prefer? Your budget? Are you willing to uber/cab/car or do you want to walk from your hotel? Would love to give you a good recommendation but this will help narrow it down.

CT Bob- I was under the impression there are 2 elegant/formal nights for every 7 night cruise on MSC. Am I wrong? Can you confirm? I won’t pack one of my long dresses if that’s the case?

I was under the same impression but we only had one last week and may have only one this week on Thursday, our last sea day. The Seaside feels less formal than the Divina. We are doing a food tour with Chef Emily of Cozumel Food Tours tomorrow. Bob