Kids at Dinner

KoSaRFaN19

I really enjoy the Dining Hall experience and I know my kids will want to go there too. That is the dress code for kids and how strict are they? It says no jean shorts, no basketball shorts, and no tshirts. Does this go for kids too? I'll be fine with my daughter, but can my son really not wear a tshirt and shorts?

, but can my son really not wear a tshirt and shorts?

On the lido buffet? Yes. But not in the MDR. It's not McDonalds. It's a DINING room.

There is a difference between dining and eating. A great learning opportunity.

It's fine for your daughter but not your son? What, it is okay to differentiate between the sexes regarding what behavior is acceptable and what's not?

I really enjoy the Dining Hall experience and I know my kids will want to go there too. That is the dress code for kids and how strict are they? It says no jean shorts, no basketball shorts, and no tshirts. Does this go for kids too? I'll be fine with my daughter, but can my son really not wear a t-shirt and shorts?
What age is he? 6 or 16? This question gets asked every day it seems and people want to work around the guidelines. If Carnival gave into all the griping about dress codes the MDR on cruise ships would look like 1000 people dressed like they're going to the local flea market food court for a hot dog. Realistically they won't say anything if he is ..........

On the lido buffet? Yes. But not in the MDR. It's not McDonalds. It's a DINING room.

There is a difference between dining and eating. A great learning opportunity.

It's fine for your daughter but not your son? What, it is okay to differentiate between the sexes regarding what behavior is acceptable and what's not?

Wow sorry I asked the question... Had no idea it was a trigger point. Geez. To answer your question I understand it is a dining hall. My son is 9 and literally owns 1 pair of jean shorts and maybe 2 polo shirts. He is into sports so typically wears athletic type shorts and a nice shirt. He looks just fine going into Olive Garden or any steakhouse or sit down type of restaurant here on land. Was just curious as to if I needed to go out and buy new clothes so he could eat with us in a dining hall. Plus I'm flying to our port so need to limit what I pack in his suitcase.

As far as differentiating between sexes that is not the case. Both of my kids have very good manners and same rules. Its just that my daughter has a lot of sun dresses and even girls shorts are typically more of a cotton material as opposed to athletic/mesh type of shorts that boys wear.

Just needed help on how the kids typically dress in dining hall, no parenting advice needed but thanks.

What age is he? 6 or 16? This question gets asked every day it seems and people want to work around the guidelines. If Carnival gave into all the griping about dress codes the MDR on cruise ships would look like 1000 people dressed like they're going to the local flea market food court for a hot dog. Realistically they won't say anything if he is ..........

Thanks for the info. In no way would I allow them to go to dinner looking like slobs. I was just curious as to how strict it was? I wasn't complaining about guidelines at all. He's 9 by the way.

My young nephews (ages 12 and 4) wore nicer shorts and nicer t-shirts or polos with boat shoes to dinner each night, except on elegant nights. They were fine, no one even gave them a second look, and they looked like they belonged.

Perfect. Thanks

If adults don’t follow the guidelines, why should kids? [emoji6]

Seriously now. OP, my son is 8 and he lives in athletic wear. 90% of his closet is exactly that, so I get not wanting to buy new clothes that your son will probably not wear again before he outgrows them.

However, my son does have a section (veeeey small) of his closest for special occasions, like birthdays, church, holidays, etc. Just a few slacks, button down shirts, polos, and kid tie. That has proven to be more than sufficient for elegant nights on cruise ships. The only thing that we purchased for our last cruise was a navy blazer ($19) because my son wanted to look more grown up (he’s growing and starting to care about what he wears).

Anyway, the point that I’m trying to make is that it shouldn’t cost much to get your son up to speed for elegant night if he already owns a few clothing items. You don’t need to get him a tuxedo, but t shirts and shorts may be a bit too casual.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

If adults don’t follow the guidelines, why should kids? [emoji6]

Seriously now. OP, my son is 8 and he lives in athletic wear. 90% of his closet is exactly that, so I get not wanting to buy new clothes that your son will probably not wear again before he outgrows them.

However, my son does have a section (veeeey small) of his closest for special occasions, like birthdays, church, holidays, etc. Just a few slacks, button down shirts, polos, and kid tie. That has proven to be more than sufficient for elegant nights on cruise ships. The only thing that we purchased for our last cruise was a navy blazer ($19) because my son wanted to look more grown up.

Anyway, the point that I’m trying to make is that it shouldn’t cost much to get your son up to speed for elegant night if he already owns a few clothing items.

Yep same here. Elegant night is no problem. He will be wearing dress pants and a dress shirt. I was more curious about the other nights as he only has 1 pair of jean shorts. I suppose I would just have him wear the same pair every night with a different shirt. Because I know he will not wear them again off the ship, so didn't want to go out and buy 3-4 new pair.

I was more curious about the other nights as he only has 1 pair of jean shorts. I suppose I would just have him wear the same pair every night with a different shirt.

Shorts with polo shirts is what we use on non-elegant nights. Works just fine. And yes, he will use the same pair of shorts multiple times since he will only wear it for maybe 2 hours during dinner time. Maybe get 1-2 cheap shorts to go with the different shirts and you should be good to go.

My son is the same way, mostly athletic clothes. He's hated jeans for years, but I finally got him to wear them again. He's 14 now. But, I do buy like 2-3 pairs of khaki style shorts (Old Navy has some pretty cheap ones) and then some nice shirts or polo shirts. He also liked the Hawaiian print shirts, since he likes things a little funky. So there are some options. But there are plenty of people who don't really follow the guidelines.

Yep same here. Elegant night is no problem. He will be wearing dress pants and a dress shirt. I was more curious about the other nights as he only has 1 pair of jean shorts. I suppose I would just have him wear the same pair every night with a different shirt. Because I know he will not wear them again off the ship, so didn't want to go out and buy 3-4 new pair.

Denim shorts are fine. The policy specifically states no cut-offs. If they are machine-made denim shorts, there is no problem.

I'd suggest 1-2 pairs of shorts for your son in case something spills. Walmart/Target usually have a dress/Bermuda short or cargo short option that are dressier than athletic shorts but a lighter weight than denim. Our son preferred those more when he was that age. Maybe he has a friend he can borrow from try the thrift store if you don't want to buy new.

Have a great cruise!

I really enjoy the Dining Hall experience and I know my kids will want to go there too. That is the dress code for kids and how strict are they? It says no jean shorts, no basketball shorts, and no tshirts. Does this go for kids too? I'll be fine with my daughter, but can my son really not wear a tshirt and shorts?

I understood what you were saying about your daughter. I can't remember ever seeing a thread where a parent complained that all their daughter wanted to wear was sport shorts etc. It's always the boys they comment on. :D

When our son was a kid I always kept available one pair of inexpensive cotton "dress" slacks like black "khakis" and one dress shirt. That way we always had something for him to wear to weddings and funerals or any other "dress-up" function that might come along.

I can understand that. What I did when my boys were ten and eleven was go to Goodwill and buy each of them a couple of pairs of shorts that were nicer--not denim, not gym shorts--and a few shirts with collars or nice tshirt a like with a good pattern etc. Then, I put those directly into the suitcase thus keeping them safe from young boys stains. Goodwill allowed me to shop off season and not spend a lot of money.

1025cruise

Thank you! One of my pet peeves too.

Have traveled with 5 yr old grandson and he dressed each night that he was in the MDR. Or elegant/formal nights he had slacks (khaki and black) and a white button down shirt with a grown up tie. He wanted to dress up like all the rest of the family traveling that cruise.

The little girls, well they are easy. They love to dress up and pretend they are the Princess for the night.

I know this is a sticky topic but I try to teach the kids to dress to dine. Fast food and a quick serve chain are a bit relaxed. Nice SLOW dining, cloth tablecloths & napkins, crystal and wine service are a different level of dining. I wish Carnival would offer the service Royal does where the kids can get served quicker and someone for the kids camp actually picks them up from the MDR. (Family Dining option) The adults can enjoy the entree and end of the meal leisurely and the kids can run and enjoy camp. Would keep a lot of parent happier on Carnival.