Viking Pre Stay Amsterdam earliest embarkation on ship?

Cruiseoholic000

I just received a answer to my question from Viking that will put a kink in my plans. We where planning on going to Rijksmuseum at 9am on the third and last day in Amsterdam, in addition to other sites. However where told “bags cannot be stored for later transport. The specific timing will be provided via the host at the hotel.”

What is the earliest time can you bring your bags over to the ship if you are staying at Mövenpick (not yet confirmed).

Greetings.

Although our pre-cruise Amsterdam stay was at the Renaissance, I cannot imagine why the Mövenpick wouldn’t be able to store your bags while you sightsee. You could then pick them up and roll them to the ship once you’re back. Our transport to the ship from the hotel (which was very close, BTW) was around 3:00 PM.

Just a thought...

Jeff

I believe that what that is in reference to is the fact that Viking has you put your bags out to be collected and taken to the ship from the hotel. They also have a time when they transfer guests from the hotel to the ship. (Sometimes this is the same time on the same bus, sometimes not.) If you want to skip the Viking transfer of luggage and guests from the hotel to the ship, you are welcome to do so.

You'll want to check out of your room, store your bags with the front desk, and go to the museum. After the museum you will need to go back to the hotel, collect your bags and make your way to the ship.

The "not being able to be stored for later transport" sounds like Viking will not be offering you a later transport for your bags.

Check in with your host when you arrive, tell him of your plans, and you'll get some options. Maybe you put your bags out for collection to the ship, and then you go to the museum; maybe you store your bags at the hotel and then come back to get them after the museum. It will work out.

Communication with your host is the best solution though, especially so they don't wait on you if you are not planning on showing up for a set transport.

Talked with Viking and it sounds like everyone goes to the ship at noon. However they can transfer your bags over to the ship without you. You would need to get the ship behind Central station on your own. I am a happy camper that I don’t have to transport the luge on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is one caveat you should be aware of. If your cruise is in March or April, Amsterdam docking locations are very crowded with all the lines doing "tulip time" cruises. It's possible that the ship might be docked in a commercial are that's a significant bus/taxi ride from the Centraal Station area.

There is one caveat you should be aware of. If your cruise is in March or April, Amsterdam docking locations are very crowded with all the lines doing "tulip time" cruises. It's possible that the ship might be docked in a commercial are that's a significant bus/taxi ride from the Centraal Station area.

We took the the Grand European Tour in June and this was also the case. The ship was docked in the commercial area, not next to the hotel.