Travel Insurance

PenyFan1960

Rather than use public transport or taxi I am proposing to travel in my own car from London to Souhampton to catch the Q.V. on her spring cruise to Madeira & Canary Islands.

However, I note that my Travel Insurance does not appear to cover for a missed embarkation due to accidents/traffic delays enroute. Only if I travel by public transport. A check with list of insurance companies withGoCompare seems to confirm this appears general.

Does anyone know a company who does provide cover using your own transport?

Unless you get a "cancel for any reason" rider it's doubtful that a delay when driving your own vehicle would be covered by any company. Somebody could decide not to sail for whatever reason, have a convenient "mishap" on the way to the terminal, and then file a claim. I'm not suggesting that you would do that but imagine the opportunity for abuse.

Just to be safe, consider instead driving to Southampton the day before and staying overnight. Weigh the cost of a hotel room versus your tolerance for risk.

Edited by BlueRiband

Why not travel down the day/night before and stay in a hotel? I have seen people in the Southampton area staying in town the night before! We always go the day before, for us the holiday starts when are booked into our hotel, and can relax, knowing is only a mile or two to the terminal.

Many thanks for your comments. I live less than a 3 hour drive from Southampton but that means using roads that do have their problems which could mean hours of delay. Hence my interest in insurance cover which was offered on my policy for those using public transport only.

I have done enough thrashing around and have now booked the previous night in a Souhampton Hotel.

Thanks to all!

Sounds like a good decision. Some people love drama but I'd do the same in your situation. The cost will be far less than travel to the next port.

You are so correct, BlueRiband. Peace of mind is a great thing to have when you begin any journey. Sets the tone for a most enjoyable sailing.

Have a wonderful time, PenyFan1960!

I am pleased to advise that my Travel Insurance company have advised the following:-

‘I can confirm that your policy does cover missed departure due to an accident or breakdown ahead of you on a public road which causes an unexpected delay to the vehicle in which you are travelling.’

The policy is not 100% clear, my contact having to refer back within his company and eventually to the underwriters.

Am glad that it is settled, also, that the overnight hotel is booked, as the thought of a missed embarkation just dose not bear thinking about!

Many thanks for your best wishes ‘jimmybean’!

Thanks for letting us know, I checked my policy again today and it sounded if I would be covered. We always stay the night before if we are driving, it's nice to start the holiday earlier and have a more relaxing morning before boarding.

Have a great trip.