NCL in Havana

BOAZ5

For those who have sailed to Cuba, I have a couple questions specific to Cuba and NCL. On the Cuba board, it appears cruiselines are handling things their own way. I want to know what your NCL experience was like on the Sky.

1. Does NCL require you to show proof of a private tour to get off the ship? We are booked with Old Car Tours.

2. If you have been to Cuba on the Sky, can you comment on the disembarkation process in Havana?

3. Do you have to get your passport stamped?

4. This is not specific to NCL, but where did you eat? Would you recommend it? Were there any activities not to be missed?

Thanks!,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Forums mobile app

For those who have sailed to Cuba, I have a couple questions specific to Cuba and NCL. On the Cuba board, it appears cruiselines are handling things their own way. I want to know what your NCL experience was like on the Sky.

1. Does NCL require you to show proof of a private tour to get off the ship? We are booked with Old Car Tours.

2. If you have been to Cuba on the Sky, can you comment on the disembarkation process in Havana?

3. Do you have to get your passport stamped?

4. This is not specific to NCL, but where did you eat? Would you recommend it? Were there any activities not to be missed?

Thanks!,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Forums mobile app

Hi I sailed the Sky to Cuba in July.

1. We did not show any proof for private tours. Got off ship and walked across street to meet our tour guide.

2. The process for disembarkation was not smooth, but that was in July. Everybody trying to get off early day 1 as we heard stories about lines to exchange $ etc. once we got off, it only took 15 mins from gangway, through security (Cuba ex-rays your bags before entering), turning in Visa along with passport check, exchanging $ for Cucs. The second day was even faster as everybody seemed far less anxious/excited.

3. Our passports were stamped the first day.

4. Our tour guide Blexie stopped with us along the way for snacks, drinks, etc and we had a full linch at a “private home”. Im not a real foodie so wouldn’t attempt to answer. I had some great adult beverages!

Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 months later...
Hi I sailed the Sky to Cuba in July.

1. We did not show any proof for private tours. Got off ship and walked across street to meet our tour guide.

2. The process for disembarkation was not smooth, but that was in July. Everybody trying to get off early day 1 as we heard stories about lines to exchange $ etc. once we got off, it only took 15 mins from gangway, through security (Cuba ex-rays your bags before entering), turning in Visa along with passport check, exchanging $ for Cucs. The second day was even faster as everybody seemed far less anxious/excited.

3. Our passports were stamped the first day.

4. Our tour guide Blexie stopped with us along the way for snacks, drinks, etc and we had a full linch at a “private home”. Im not a real foodie so wouldn’t attempt to answer. I had some great adult beverages!

Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How bad was the weather in July?

My mom has dreamt of going to Cuba since I can remember and I am on the fence due to the heat.

She is 79 and I can only get time off in July.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2493583

This was May 2017 and before Trump's 'changes', but it is incredibly detailed and answers almost any question you can think of.

I sailed May 2017 on NCL Sky. I did NOT have to show NCL any info/paperwork to get off the ship. Pax, then at least, had to get a numbered ticket to get off the ship. I got mine and decided since I was a solo cruiser I'd just get in line and not wait for my # to be called. The woman asked me if everyone in my party was ready to get off the ship, I said I am alone, so yes. She said "go ahead and have a great time".

Yes, we did have to have our passports stamped each time in & out of Cuba (in & off of ship).

I am SO happy your are using Old Car Tours. I used them for both of my days in Havana and could not have been happier. Ask for Nacho or Yasser for guides (if you are using guides). I had the Red/White '54 Buick and the '52 Pink Chevy on day 2.

Have a ball ... I loved my trip there. The people are amazing.

How bad was the weather in July?

My mom has dreamt of going to Cuba since I can remember and I am on the fence due to the heat.

She is 79 and I can only get time off in July.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Definitely will be hot and humid.

One thing to realize, if you are on some sort of tour that takes you indoors to a concert venue, museum, etc., is that there is very little air conditioning. We were there in April and outdoors was fine but indoors was often uncomfortable. Worse in July no doubt.