port time/ship time answer

r&rfraz

just returned from a 7 day mex riv cruise on carnival splendor. one of the most difficult questions to get cleared up before i went was the time difference between ship time and port time. so one of my goals was the clear it up for anyone esle who is wander about it also. so here is what happened with the time on the splendor. on our first full day at sea we set out watches ahead one hour. this meant that when we arrived in our first port (puerta vallerta) the ship time would be one hour behind local pv time. so we arrived in pv at 8am ship time, 9am local pv time. for the other two ports (mazatlan & cabo) ship time and local time were the same. after the final port (cabo) we moved our watches back an hour to put us back on pacific time.

the other thing i had a hard time getting an answer about (even from carnival) was wether the port times posted on the itinarary were ship time or local time. The answer is all times listed were local time. for example:

when the splendor lists port time in pv as 9:00am to 10:00. this is local time. as i said before the other 2 ports are not an issue because ship time & port time are the same. i hope this helps clear up any confusion anyone may be having. trying to get it straight before i sailed drove me crazy!

Im doing the reverse Itenary IE Cabo first, then Mazatlan then PV. So the ship time for Cabo is arrive 9:30am and depart at 6:00pm and that is also local time.

Mazatlan is arrive 8:00am and depart 5:30pm local time and ships time.

PV is shiptime is 8:00am arrive and local time is 9:00am. Departure time is 7:00pm ships time which is 8:00pm local time.

Do I have this correctly? PV is the one im most concerned about as thier is a time change but for what i have planned I think it works out great.

Thanks for sorting this out and let me know if I got this right?

Adri :)

• 3 weeks later...
Im doing the reverse Itenary IE Cabo first, then Mazatlan then PV. So the ship time for Cabo is arrive 9:30am and depart at 6:00pm and that is also local time.

PV is shiptime is 8:00am arrive and local time is 9:00am. Departure time is 7:00pm ships time which is 8:00pm local time.

Do I have this correctly? PV is the one im most concerned about as thier is a time change but for what i have planned I think it works out great.

Thanks for sorting this out and let me know if I got this right?

Normally, I would have given you the same information as r&rfraz for the basic seven day MR cruises.

- Published port arrival/departure times are port local times.

- Ship's time moved forward once early in cruise and back once late in cruise.

- Ship's time will match local time for Cabo & Mazatlan.

- Ship's time will be one hour BEHIND port local time in Puerto Vallarta.

However, a couple of Mariner passengers, in recent months, have claimed that ship's time was never changed throughout the voyage. i.e.: ship's time was one hour behind Cabo & Mazatlan local and two hours behind Vallarta local.

I suggest you ask about changes in ship's time, for Mariner, on the Royal Caribbean forum. You might get a better response from recent Mariner passengers if you started a thread dedicated to this single issue.

1) The easiest thing to do is to stay on ship's time (whether it moves or just stays the same) the entire trip. I'd rather observe the "running of the drunks" and not be a participant.

2) If booking an independent excursion, just tell them when you book what ship you're on. The reputable tour companies have been doing this for a while and know the schedules of all of the major lines.

3) If you REALLY want to know what time it is in local time, just get off the ship and ask a local what time it is! :D

1) The easiest thing to do is to stay on ship's time (whether it moves or just stays the same) the entire trip. I'd rather observe the "running of the drunks" and not be a participant.

2) If booking an independent excursion, just tell them when you book what ship you're on. The reputable tour companies have been doing this for a while and know the schedules of all of the major lines.

3) If you REALLY want to know what time it is in local time, just get off the ship and ask a local what time it is! :D

Well written and I have always said; "Ship time is king."

My independent tour guide in Cabo adjusted my tour time because the Mariner stays on Calif. time during daylight savings months. On EVERY other MexRiv cruise we adjusted ship time ahead/back during the cruise. But noooooo.

...and to be completely confused....I live in AZ where we don't do DST. I think there is an app for this..LOL

...and to be completely confused....I live in AZ where we don't do DST. I think there is an app for this..LOL

I have often wondered why the Indian Reservations observe DST in AZ and the rest don't.

So, if you book a shore excursion through the ship for PV, do you meet at the ship time or the port time?

The ship does everything on ship's time. If you book an excursion thru the ship, you will meet, depart and return on ship's time. Often you will be told to meet in a specific lounge and leave the ship as a group or meet on the dock at a specific location per ship's time.

This whole ship's time vs. local time is only an issue when booking an activity ashore, independent of the ship, and only seems to be a factor for Vallarta.

Enjoy!

Normally, I would have given you the same information as r&rfraz for the basic seven day MR cruises.

- Published port arrival/departure times are port local times.

- Ship's time moved forward once early in cruise and back once late in cruise.

- Ship's time will match local time for Cabo & Mazatlan.

- Ship's time will be one hour BEHIND port local time in Puerto Vallarta.

However, a couple of Mariner passengers, in recent months, have claimed that ship's time was never changed throughout the voyage. i.e.: ship's time was one hour behind Cabo & Mazatlan local and two hours behind Vallarta local.

Let me try to help...Carnival adjusts clocks to local (Splendor) but Mariner DOES NOT! They stay on ship which when they arrive in Cabo every Tuesday, they are an hour behind...Pacific time and Cabo is Mountain time. All times are shown in ship regardless of the line...11:00 tour on Carnival is 11:00 local as well, 11:00 tour on Mariner is 12:00 local. The Mariner used to adjust their clocks to our time but stopped almost a year ago. Other Carnival ships do not adjust and are behind Cabo time and other Royal Carib ships do adjust and are on the same time!

I hate to make things even worse for you but the Mariner now gets into Cabo even later...they used to adjust clocks to our time and get here at 9:30 local but now they stay on Pacific time (Cabo is Mountain Zone) and they arrive at 11:00 local or 10:00 ship time.

So on the Carnival Splendor if the itinerary says the ship arrives at 9:00, this is local time? We want to book Los Veranos at either 10:45 or 11:45 and wonder if 10:45 is cutting it to close.

• 1 month later...
just returned from a 7 day mex riv cruise on carnival splendor. one of the most difficult questions to get cleared up before i went was the time difference between ship time and port time. so one of my goals was the clear it up for anyone esle who is wander about it also. so here is what happened with the time on the splendor. on our first full day at sea we set out watches ahead one hour. this meant that when we arrived in our first port (puerta vallerta) the ship time would be one hour behind local pv time. so we arrived in pv at 8am ship time, 9am local pv time. for the other two ports (mazatlan & cabo) ship time and local time were the same. after the final port (cabo) we moved our watches back an hour to put us back on pacific time.

the other thing i had a hard time getting an answer about (even from carnival) was wether the port times posted on the itinarary were ship time or local time. The answer is all times listed were local time. for example:

when the splendor lists port time in pv as 9:00am to 10:00. this is local time. as i said before the other 2 ports are not an issue because ship time & port time are the same. i hope this helps clear up any confusion anyone may be having. trying to get it straight before i sailed drove me crazy!

We are on the Carnival Splendor in October 2010

So if we have an excursion in PV at 11am local time about a half hour taxi ride away from port, will we get there by 10:30 am local time if the ship says we are in port at PV from 9am-10pm???

How long does it take to get off the ship? and in a taxi?

Any tips to disembark super fast????

Archived