South American Cruise

Lynard

My husband and I are going on the Princess Crown February 1st for 14 days. we are looking for fun things to do and not necessarily through the ship. our ports are:Buenos Aires, Punta Del Este Uruguay, Puerto Madryn Argentina, Falkland Islands standley, Ushuaia Tierra Del Fuego Argentina, Puerto Montt Chile and Santiago Chile. I have made a list from the excursions on the ships list that we are interested in. Now seeing what reviews of those who have done it and looking into other was to see it cheaper. any recommendations.

My husband and I are going on the Princess Crown February 1st for 14 days. we are looking for fun things to do and not necessarily through the ship. our ports are:Buenos Aires, Punta Del Este Uruguay, Puerto Madryn Argentina, Falkland Islands standley, Ushuaia Tierra Del Fuego Argentina, Puerto Montt Chile and Santiago Chile. I have made a list from the excursions on the ships list that we are interested in. Now seeing what reviews of those who have done it and looking into other was to see it cheaper. any recommendations.

We used South Excursions for many of our SA tours. Suggest you make contact with them to determine if there are any vacancies on their tours. If not, you could organize your own tours and solicit others on the roll call.

We will be sailing on the Crown Princess sailing on 18th Jan I was wondering if anyone knew where the tender docks?

We were one Celebrity Infinity and our tender boats came into a dock that was inside the city.

I do remember that the tendering there seemed slower than we anticipated. Not sure why it was slow, since our ship was not that far from the dock.

• 2 weeks later...

We're hitting many of these ports on our NCL cruise in March. After much research, we've decided to rent a car in three of the ports you mention. In Puerto Montt, we'll drive around the lake and see the falls, volcano, and whatever other sights there are. In Ushuaia, we plan to drive into Tierra Del Fuego Nat'l Park. Finally, in Puerto Madryn, we're planning on driving down to Punta Tombo to see the penguins. I haven't booked a car yet in the first two ports, but found Hertz offered the best deal in Puerto Madryn. Far cheaper than any tour that goes to Punta Tombo, and from what I've read, accomplishes the same thing (transportation). They were also the only car rental agency I found that had unlimited miles. Most had a 200 km limit before they start charging by the km, and driving the 1 1/2 - 2 hours to Punta Tombo would definitely put us over 200 km.

We're hitting many of these ports on our NCL cruise in March. After much research, we've decided to rent a car in three of the ports you mention. In Puerto Montt, we'll drive around the lake and see the falls, volcano, and whatever other sights there are. In Ushuaia, we plan to drive into Tierra Del Fuego Nat'l Park. Finally, in Puerto Madryn, we're planning on driving down to Punta Tombo to see the penguins. I haven't booked a car yet in the first two ports, but found Hertz offered the best deal in Puerto Madryn. Far cheaper than any tour that goes to Punta Tombo, and from what I've read, accomplishes the same thing (transportation). They were also the only car rental agency I found that had unlimited miles. Most had a 200 km limit before they start charging by the km, and driving the 1 1/2 - 2 hours to Punta Tombo would definitely put us over 200 km.

I would not want to drive on the road in Puerto Madryn, specifically the roads to Punta Tombo is on a large peninsula with gravel roads that are not that smooth.

If you do rent a car, get a GPS or navigation system, since our bus took a lot of odd turns to find the highway to Punta Tombo.

Also, in Ushuaia Terria Del Fuego Park is great, we went there, but also did a catamaran cruise to where we saw a lot of wildlife. I would not want to miss that.

Suggest taking a tour for both those sites.

I would not want to drive on the road in Puerto Madryn, specifically the roads to Punta Tombo is on a large peninsula with gravel roads that are not that smooth.

If you do rent a car, get a GPS or navigation system, since our bus took a lot of odd turns to find the highway to Punta Tombo.

Also, in Ushuaia Terria Del Fuego Park is great, we went there, but also did a catamaran cruise to where we saw a lot of wildlife. I would not want to miss that.

Suggest taking a tour for both those sites.

Everything I've read says paved road for all but the last 15 km to Punta Tombo. Also, the gravel road is supposedly hard-packed gravel that is no problem for cars to drive on Guess we'll see.

I've read mixed reviews on the cat cruise. Several people have said that you don't see much more of the Beagle Channel than you do from the cruise ship. That, and the fact that I don't relish being on a sailboat freezing to death are why we're passing on that.

Good to hear your information about the roads- thank you.

We like to be independent so car hire is our preferred way to explore if the port is appropriate. Our last cruise was to Hawaii where we were able to easily hire cars at every port, the companies picked you up at the dock. South America is a little more tricky. We have hired in Puerto Arenas with Avis and Ushuaia with Expedia the offices are within walking distance. We did this in Greece and it was fine. In Puerto Madryn we have hired with Adriana from Wild Skies Rent Car mentioned in these boards and on TripAdvisor, she is picking us up early at the dock just after the ship docks.

We sail on the Crown in January so I can let you know how we get on if you are interested.

Everything I've read says paved road for all but the last 15 km to Punta Tombo. Also, the gravel road is supposedly hard-packed gravel that is no problem for cars to drive on Guess we'll see.

I've read mixed reviews on the cat cruise. Several people have said that you don't see much more of the Beagle Channel than you do from the cruise ship. That, and the fact that I don't relish being on a sailboat freezing to death are why we're passing on that.

In January 2014 when we were In PM some of the pot holes in the highly just a few miles from the port area were not any fun to deal with. Also, I can tell you that we visited more than one site while on the peninsula and drove a lot more than 15 KM. The road was uneven and had a lot of loose gravel. There was a lot of noise going over the gravel. I suggest you rent an SUV or larger vehicle.

As for the Beagle Channel, our ship do go through there very early in the morning before we woke up, so we missed seeing it. Not sure when your ship arrives in port or whether or not you come from Chile or Argentina, but our ship arrived well before 6am.

Enjoy your trip, Around the Horn is special.

In January 2014 when we were In PM some of the pot holes in the highly just a few miles from the port area were not any fun to deal with. Also, I can tell you that we visited more than one site while on the peninsula and drove a lot more than 15 KM. The road was uneven and had a lot of loose gravel. There was a lot of noise going over the gravel. I suggest you rent an SUV or larger vehicle.

As for the Beagle Channel, our ship do go through there very early in the morning before we woke up, so we missed seeing it. Not sure when your ship arrives in port or whether or not you come from Chile or Argentina, but our ship arrived well before 6am.

Enjoy your trip, Around the Horn is special.

Are you sure you're not talking about the Valdes Pennisula rather than Punta Tombo? There's only one site in Punta Tombo, but there are multiple sites as you describe on the Valdes Pennisula.

And yes, we're lucky that our ship is due in to Ushuaia at 10:00 AM, so hopefully we'll have some good views of the channel as we come in.

Good to hear your information about the roads- thank you.

We like to be independent so car hire is our preferred way to explore if the port is appropriate. Our last cruise was to Hawaii where we were able to easily hire cars at every port, the companies picked you up at the dock. South America is a little more tricky. We have hired in Puerto Arenas with Avis and Ushuaia with Expedia the offices are within walking distance. We did this in Greece and it was fine. In Puerto Madryn we have hired with Adriana from Wild Skies Rent Car mentioned in these boards and on TripAdvisor, she is picking us up early at the dock just after the ship docks.

We sail on the Crown in January so I can let you know how we get on if you are interested.

Thanks for the info on Wild Skies Car Rental. I'm going to look into them because we're currently booked with Hertz, which will require a taxi to the airport and doesn't open until 9.

I haven't booked our car in Ushuaia yet. Is the name of the Agency you're using called Expedia, or did you book through Expedia.com? I don't see any agencies by that name on a cursory search.

In Puerto Arenas, we're just going to walk in the direction of the cemetary, stopping at a few places on the way. From there, either a bus or taxi out to that museum with the large boat replicas.

Are you sure you're not talking about the Valdes Pennisula rather than Punta Tombo? There's only one site in Punta Tombo, but there are multiple sites as you describe on the Valdes Pennisula.

And yes, we're lucky that our ship is due in to Ushuaia at 10:00 AM, so hopefully we'll have some good views of the channel as we come in.

I believe you are correct. I think we visited the Valdes Peninsula, which was reputed to have the best wildlife viewing. It was north of PM.

Hi,

Come on over to the roll call which is here We've been excursion planning for quite a while now :D

There is speculative information from people haven't been there.

I have driven to Punto Tombo- and the roads are NOT clearly marked, This has been the case every time I have gone there- 4, including this year. IF you make a wrong turn in Trelew or Rawson, you could be using up valuable time with finding directions. It is not uncommon to have signs missing.} direct to an "officer". In that case was negotiated down to $150US. Be CERTAIN the driver has a copy of their passport (ship collects them). I again had to show one at a random check point this year.

There are car rentals right outside the port, be sure NOT to book at the airport.

In the Falklands my top choice and priority for this itinerary is Volunteer Point with Estancia. I've gone there every trip- 7.

It's cheap to get a walk up cab tour in Urshuaia for about $25 pp for 4. Always people lined up to share with.

Thanks for the info on Wild Skies Car Rental. I'm going to look into them because we're currently booked with Hertz, which will require a taxi to the airport and doesn't open until 9.

I haven't booked our car in Ushuaia yet. Is the name of the Agency you're using called Expedia, or did you book through Expedia.com? I don't see any agencies by that name on a cursory search.

In Puerto Arenas, we're just going to walk in the direction of the cemetary, stopping at a few places on the way. From there, either a bus or taxi out to that museum with the large boat replicas.

Do NOT rent a car in Puerto Madryn at the airport. There are rentals right outside the port. This year I used Alamo, I've used Avis and independents depending who is cheaper. Be aware cars are likely to be standard.

There is speculative information from people haven't been there.

I have driven to Punto Tombo- and the roads are NOT clearly marked, This has been the case every time I have gone there- 4, including this year. IF you make a wrong turn in Trelew or Rawson, you could be using up valuable time with finding directions. It is not uncommon to have signs missing.} direct to an "officer". In that case was negotiated down to $150US. Be CERTAIN the driver has a copy of their passport (ship collects them). I again had to show one at a random check point this year.

There are car rentals right outside the port, be sure NOT to book at the airport.

In the Falklands my top choice and priority for this itinerary is Volunteer Point with Estancia. I've gone there every trip- 7.

It's cheap to get a walk up cab tour in Urshuaia for about $25 pp for 4. Always people lined up to share with.

Thanks for the info about passports. I'm confused by your comment about "direct to an "officer". In that case was negotiated down to $150US." Are you saying that you or someone got fined $150 for not having a passport?

Can you give any advice regarding the final turns in Rawson? I make the assumption that I can negotiate Trelew.

Do NOT rent a car in Puerto Madryn at the airport. There are rentals right outside the port. This year I used Alamo, I've used Avis and independents depending who is cheaper. Be aware cars are likely to be standard.

The problem I'm having is finding agencies that offer unlimited miles. Only Hertz at the airport did so from what I could see. Everyone else seemed to have a 200 km cap and a $0.25/km charge for going over.

Forgot to ask if in Ushuaia, do you know if there are any car rental agencies near the port? We want to visit Tierra Del Fuego Nat'l Park, but have the freedom to stop and walk a trail here and there. I don't really see the need for a tour of the park. I had originally thought about a taxi to the park and use the bus to get around the park, but, from what I've read, it seems the buses no longer run in the park. I was also concerned about finding a taxi afterwards to get back to the port.

Thanks for the info about passports. I'm confused by your comment about "direct to an "officer". In that case was negotiated down to $150US." Are you saying that you or someone got fined $150 for not having a passport?

Can you give any advice regarding the final turns in Rawson? I make the assumption that I can negotiate Trelew.

The problem I'm having is finding agencies that offer unlimited miles. Only Hertz at the airport did so from what I could see. Everyone else seemed to have a 200 km cap and a $0.25/km charge for going over.

BRIBES- are what I am talking about.

Sorry, so what- if you get charged more for miles- you are underestimating TIME. You do NOT have time to bother going back and forth to the airport- plus what about the cab costs? Just pay for the port pick up and be CERTAIN, to run off the ship and be first in line. It is over a 2 hour one way drive each way.

Make all the "assumptions" you want. Twice now- with my driving to Tombo, I've had to figure out my turns- which I recognized, since I've now driven there 4 times. Road signs were MISSING. GPS might be a good option? You need to be very careful of speed limits in some areas since it's a given revenue. I've also run into random check points.

As for Ushuaia, you can see the airport from the port, would be a cheap cab ride away.

Make sure you do your homework on where you want to go in Tierra Del Fuego Nat'l Park, it has a lot of possibilities.

• 2 months later...

we return from the cruise in Valparaiso at 5 am and we will be transferred to the airport in Santiago Chile from there, probabaly sometime before 9 am. Well our flight doesn't leave until 10:30 that night and I found out the airports no longer have lockers for your belongings. Now what do we do. I don't want to drag our luggage around the whole day. any recommendations on where we can leave our luggage and have it safe and secure?

• 7 months later...
we return from the cruise in Valparaiso at 5 am and we will be transferred to the airport in Santiago Chile from there, probabaly sometime before 9 am. Well our flight doesn't leave until 10:30 that night and I found out the airports no longer have lockers for your belongings. Now what do we do. I don't want to drag our luggage around the whole day. any recommendations on where we can leave our luggage and have it safe and secure?

There are tour companies that pick you up at the ship and do various touring before a late afternoon or early evening drop-off at the airport. Usually the tour is of Valparaiso--a really interesting city-- a wine tour into the countryside and brief tour of Santiago, although others are available.

We did this 3 years ago, using Christian the Van Man--excellent. Check your roll call as some groups may already be forming. There are lots of companies offering this. Your luggage is stored on the bus or other vehicle.