just starting research...

poorsusan

We did a full transit last year on the Eurodam .... a wonderful trip.

For the history:

I definitely agree that you should read " Path Between the Seas". It does make for a richer understanding of what you are seeing. - If you find it too much of a slog (reading the politics can get heavy and dull ) stick it out because the most interesting is the last half where they are actually building the canal ; or read the wikipedia synopsis and check out and google some of the online videos.

Photos of Canal and Ports:

If you are interested in getting an idea of some of the ports and the canal itself, have a look at our travel blog. Feel free to ask any questions.

Part 1 | Aruba and Panama Canal http://maryandnormtravel.blogspot.ca...17-part-1.html

Part 2 | Puntarenas and and Corinto http://maryandnormtravel.blogspot.ca...2-central.html

Part 3 | Guatemala and Huatulco Mexicohttp://maryandnormtravel.blogspot.ca...ra-part-3.html

Part 4 | Manzanillo, Cabo and San Diegohttp://maryandnormtravel.blogspot.ca...-4-mexico.html

Mary

We did a full transit last year on the Eurodam .... a wonderful trip.

For the history:

I definitely agree that you should read " Path Between the Seas". It does make for a richer understanding of what you are seeing. - If you find it too much of a slog (reading the politics can get heavy and dull ) stick it out because the most interesting is the last half where they are actually building the canal ; or read the wikipedia synopsis and check out and google some of the online videos.

Photos of Canal and Ports:

If you are interested in getting an idea of some of the ports and the canal itself, have a look at our travel blog. Feel free to ask any questions.

Part 1 | Aruba and Panama Canal http://maryandnormtravel.blogspot.ca...17-part-1.html

Part 2 | Puntarenas and and Corinto http://maryandnormtravel.blogspot.ca...2-central.html

Part 3 | Guatemala and Huatulco Mexicohttp://maryandnormtravel.blogspot.ca...ra-part-3.html

Part 4 | Manzanillo, Cabo and San Diegohttp://maryandnormtravel.blogspot.ca...-4-mexico.html

Mary

Which cruise ship were you on?

• 1 month later...

The Panama Canal trip is on my bucket list.  We're going on the Norwegian Bliss, the largest Cruise Ship to pass through the canal as of Spring 2018.  We like the ship's outward facing focus and its Observation Lounge. 

I agree with those who recommend reading " Path Between the Seas".  It's a large but interesting book.  If, however, you don't have time for this... David McCullough's PBS DVD "A Man, A Plan, A Canal, Panama" provides an interesting overview of this material.  

One site that I ran across that has been of interest to me is Mad About Panama.  When traveling, I like seeing a landmark and then being able to find out about it.  Most Panama Canal books are about Central America tours and provide only cursory info about the canal itself.  The concept of this site is that it provides information about the things you see during your transit, how the canal works, etc.  (Cruise Transit / What You Will See).  There are a lot of YouTube videos about transiting.  But few have information that points out the buildings, landmarks, etc. you will see along the way.  (The site tries to sell you a PDF of this information for about 4 bucks but you can browse the site and get the info, too.)  It's not exhaustive but it provides a lot of information I've not found elsewhere.

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/3/2018 at 6:55 AM, 2 cruzen said:

We are taking the CoralPrincess out of LA in September 2019. We usually cruise the Caribbean on Carnival so ALL of this is new to me. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

We'll be onboard with you! 😊

I’m also in the midst of research, will read PATH BETEEN THE SEAS, and watch McCullough DVD.  We have decided on a Jan 2020 Oceania full transit route:  Santiago to Miami. Most ports will be new to us.  So far, planning dinner at the Miraflores locks restaurant.  

On 9/4/2018 at 2:15 AM, Rncath11 said:

We sailed on the Coral Princess for Alaska cruise. Very happy with Princess cruise lines and Coral Princess.

Jerri

We also sailed on the Coral Princess for our Alaska cruise. And we will be sailing again on the Coral Princess for our Panama Canal cruise in March 2019. Coral Princess is a small but nice ship.

Edited by AussieGypsie

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:33 PM, diane.in.ny said:

We've done the canal twice, from FLL to LAX and I would do it a third time.

If you really want to get a lot out of your voyage, try to read The Path Between the Seas before you go. I didn't the first time. Did the second time.

I believe with a partial you only get to Gatun Lake. For me, it was all about going through the locks and I wanted to do them all.

On our second time, one of our stops was Hualtuco. If you want some beach time, this is the place. Lovely beach with restaurants right next to the pier. Loved it and hated going back to the ship.

Our excursion in Nicaragua gave us our first chance to see lava. For us that was very exciting.

One reason people go east to west is that you pick up an hour through each time zone. Going eastbound you lose an hour.

Hope this helps

Hi, could you tell me where is the best place on the cruise ship to view going thru Panama Canal?  Higher decks for lower decks?

Thanks

14 minutes ago, cjngranny said:

Hi, could you tell me where is the best place on the cruise ship to view going thru Panama Canal?  Higher decks for lower decks?

Thanks

We like the lower decks because it's easier to see the actually operation of the locks/mules.  :classic_wink:

Most ships have a lower outside deck such a "promenade deck" in the area where the life boats are located.  This is a great area to view the mules and the and the locks.  How much time you spend there would be dependent on whether you are on a full transit or just a partial transit.  If you are doing a full transit then you have 3 opportunities at any one of the locks to watch the operation from a lower deck.  Approaching the locks, the trip across Gatun Lake and Gaillard Cut I think the upper, open decks provide a more interesting and complete view of things.  Watching the process from the bow of the ship, particularly the first locks is a real treat, but not all ships open the bow for the passengers.  If you are on a partial transit you can of course do everything mentioned above, you will just have to budget your time a bit more closely.

Moving around to view whatever is of interest is key, don't stay homesteaded to any one place.

Edited by BillB48

21 hours ago, cjngranny said:

Thanks

With well over 20 full transits of the Canal on a variety of ships, in my experience there is no best place and it also depends on the ship.

Personally, I tend to avoid any fwd upper decks that have coloured glass screens, as it creates a colour cast on photos. If the ship has access directly above the Bridge, I will head up there, but go early to get camera set up at the railing. Although, for fwd looking my preference is always ships that have fwd decks below the Bridge. Sadly, very few ships now have these decks, with Island & Coral Princess being exceptions. I find these areas are not well known and used.

However, I also suggest walking on the Prom Deck while in the locks, to get an indication of the limited clearance and also to view the mules at work. Heading aft, will provide a view of the gates closing.

When heading through the lake & Cut, I am usually back at one of the decks below the Bridge.

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

With well over 20 full transits of the Canal on a variety of ships, in my experience there is no best place and it also depends on the ship.

Personally, I tend to avoid any fwd upper decks that have coloured glass screens, as it creates a colour cast on photos. If the ship has access directly above the Bridge, I will head up there, but go early to get camera set up at the railing. Although, for fwd looking my preference is always ships that have fwd decks below the Bridge. Sadly, very few ships now have these decks, with Island & Coral Princess being exceptions. I find these areas are not well known and used.

However, I also suggest walking on the Prom Deck while in the locks, to get an indication of the limited clearance and also to view the mules at work. Heading aft, will provide a view of the gates closing.

When heading through the lake & Cut, I am usually back at one of the decks below the Bridge.

Thanks so much, this is very helpful,

11 hours ago, BillB48 said:

Most ships have a lower outside deck such a "promenade deck" in the area where the life boats are located.  This is a great area to view the mules and the and the locks.  How much time you spend there would be dependent on whether you are on a full transit or just a partial transit.  If you are doing a full transit then you have 3 opportunities at any one of the locks to watch the operation from a lower deck.  Approaching the locks, the trip across Gatun Lake and Gaillard Cut I think the upper, open decks provide a more interesting and complete view of things.  Watching the process from the bow of the ship, particularly the first locks is a real treat, but not all ships open the bow for the passengers.  If you are on a partial transit you can of course do everything mentioned above, you will just have to budget your time a bit more closely.

Moving around to view whatever is of interest is key, don't stay homesteaded to any one place.

thanks so very much

Been away so replying now. Agree with all those that said you want to be all over the ship. There is no 'best spot' unless it is on the Promenade deck when the ship is down in a lock. I think that is pretty cool.

And I admit I haven't read (or reread) all the posts but assuming the sailing is through the old locks.

• 1 month later...

Agreed, that you have to be all over the ship.  It's a long day to just stay in one spot.  It's crowded on top for the first lock, but remember you will get lots of views as you pass through the different parts of the canal.

Here is a view from the top, and one of the mule driver from the promenade deck.  

IMG_0258.jpeg

DSC_0333.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello = we booked a complete Panama Canal cruise on Celebrity Summit for November 2020.  We are going from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale.  We got some very nice perks as we booked it from our Summit Bermuda cruise.  I have all ready looked at excursions....every thing looks good.  Looking forward to this - one of our bucket list items. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 10:07 PM, poorsusan said:

Hello = we booked a complete Panama Canal cruise on Celebrity Summit for November 2020.  We are going from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale.  We got some very nice perks as we booked it from our Summit Bermuda cruise.  I have all ready looked at excursions....every thing looks good.  Looking forward to this - one of our bucket list items. 

We too are booked on this cruise. We are travelling with 3 other couples so will be researching excursions.