Any snorkel sail or catamaran tours for this port?

sunny2runner

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

We were in Guadeloupe in early January (off the Enchanted Princess) and I'm surprised not more cruisers or non-Europeans have enjoyed this stop.  It is a beautiful island with many areas to explore. People here were friendly and  always helpful.

Maybe it's the language or currency issues that seem to discourage many visitors off the ship but we had a fantastic day there. We took a speedboat tour with Patou Excursions (Patou is so amazing providing as much information as you need !), we chose to go to the Grand Cul de Sac Marine Reserve (northwest part of Basse Terre) with Captain Fabien along with a few couples from our Roll Call.  We met the boat right next to the Cruise Port, sailed up through the mangroves of the Salt River (Riviere Salée) saw some large iguanas in their natural habitat, and made stops at the most beautiful sandbar and crystal waters (Ilet Caret), snorkeled over this extensive coral reef seeing lobster, sea urchins, shoals of fish, and having this huge and most delicious lunch (lobster too if chosen) at a private island (Ilet de Sable i think) cooked on a grill by our Captain himself.   Could not have been easier or more convenient to get right back to the ship with time to spare.

We had enough folks to do a private tour but Patou also offers a group tour/rates.

If anyone interested to know more, message me I can provide more info but to overlook the beauty of this Port stop based on limited reviews from others who just walked around port area and gave up would really be a shame.  I personally appreciated the port area actually, not at all shady, and some unique and interesting artwork and garden flora around to appreciate.

grd-cul-de-sac.jpg

Edited by Maverick!
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 1/21/2023 at 5:01 PM, Maverick! said:

We were in Guadeloupe in early January (off the Enchanted Princess) and I'm surprised not more cruisers or non-Europeans have enjoyed this stop.  It is a beautiful island with many areas to explore. People here were friendly and  always helpful.

Maybe it's the language or currency issues that seem to discourage many visitors off the ship but we had a fantastic day there. We took a speedboat tour with Patou Excursions (Patou is so amazing providing as much information as you need !), we chose to go to the Grand Cul de Sac Marine Reserve (northwest part of Basse Terre) with Captain Fabien along with a few couples from our Roll Call.  We met the boat right next to the Cruise Port, sailed up through the mangroves of the Salt River (Riviere Salée) saw some large iguanas in their natural habitat, and made stops at the most beautiful sandbar and crystal waters (Ilet Caret), snorkeled over this extensive coral reef seeing lobster, sea urchins, shoals of fish, and having this huge and most delicious lunch (lobster too if chosen) at a private island (Ilet de Sable i think) cooked on a grill by our Captain himself.   Could not have been easier or more convenient to get right back to the ship with time to spare.

We had enough folks to do a private tour but Patou also offers a group tour/rates.

If anyone interested to know more, message me I can provide more info but to overlook the beauty of this Port stop based on limited reviews from others who just walked around port area and gave up would really be a shame.  I personally appreciated the port area actually, not at all shady, and some unique and interesting artwork and garden flora around to appreciate.

grd-cul-de-sac.jpg

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread...I found the Patou Excursions website, and found the group tour/rates.  I think we want to do something like this (our cruise line, MSC, seems to offer a shorter, more expensive, version of this). Can you tell me how many people you had for your private tour with them, and what the cost was? And can you tell me the approximate length/timing of your tour? Thanks!

We were a group of 10, including our fam of 4 and others from our Roll Call.  For a full day with pickup/drop off at the marina right next to the gangway (about a quick 5 minute walk) delicious lunch with open bar and appetizers, it was about EUR1140 for the amazing outing to the Ile Caret sandbar, snorkel stop (saw lobsters, sea urchins) and private island.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/19/2023 at 10:02 PM, Maverick! said:

We were a group of 10, including our fam of 4 and others from our Roll Call.  For a full day with pickup/drop off at the marina right next to the gangway (about a quick 5 minute walk) delicious lunch with open bar and appetizers, it was about EUR1140 for the amazing outing to the Ile Caret sandbar, snorkel stop (saw lobsters, sea urchins) and private island.

I'm about to visit this port on a cruise in 2 weeks and just found this thread (albeit very late). Was the EUR1140 per person or for the group?

11 hours ago, melissab723 said:

I'm about to visit this port on a cruise in 2 weeks and just found this thread (albeit very late). Was the EUR1140 per person or for the group?

This was the cost to charter the boat for the group, which included drinks, a full delicious 3 course hot lunch (ceviche appetizers, grilled chicken, lobster) , use of snorkel gear, SUP, and captain/free diver snorkel guide :)!

Edited by Maverick!
  • Like 1