off to Alaska

framer

even a goat on the mountain as we came out of GNP but even with a 500mm and 1.4 tele-converter is only a little bigger than a white dot.

Take a close look at that white dot. I thought I'd taken a picture of a mountain goat (since that's what the guide claimed the white dot was), but it turned out to be a Dall sheep. The Dall sheep has horns like a bighorn sheep, while a mountain goat's horns are much shorter. (I was more excited to see a Dall sheep, since I'd seen plenty of mountain goats before.)

Dave if your last post was about my trip it was IMHO just OK. Whale watching was not great for photos, too many back lit, too far, one decent tail shot but not a good angle, in and out of rain showers all day. Cold and rainy in Skagway. We entered GBNP at 6AM not great light, dark clouds going in. Zero wildlife shots in GBNP, saw a couple of otters. Leaving GBNP weather improved and some scenic shots were OK. It was a much faster trip in and out of the park this trip. Ketchican was the savor for photos this trip. Still I got no usable eagle shot this trip. My best trip was the southbound from Whittier I should have done that one. It's more a real inside passage that the cruise from Seattle. I will also watch for the time the ship enters GBNP and the time they plan on being there.

got to run,

framer

Dave if your last post was about my trip it was IMHO just OK. Whale watching was not great for photos, too many back lit, too far, one decent tail shot but not a good angle, in and out of rain showers all day. Cold and rainy in Skagway. We entered GBNP at 6AM not great light, dark clouds going in. Zero wildlife shots in GBNP, saw a couple of otters. Leaving GBNP weather improved and some scenic shots were OK. It was a much faster trip in and out of the park this trip. Ketchican was the savor for photos this trip. Still I got no usable eagle shot this trip. My best trip was the southbound from Whittier I should have done that one. It's more a real inside passage that the cruise from Seattle. I will also watch for the time the ship enters GBNP and the time they plan on being there.

got to run,

framer

The shots you posted were of what I spoke. Nice. ;)

I assume that even if you didn't get "the" shot, you still had fun using your camera and generally had a good cruise. Success!

I was working and building cabinets for a home project. Envy.

I do hope you had a good trip, even if it was lean on photo opportunities.

Dave

Sorry I didn't get to finish, Yes, cruise was fine and relaxing, zero issues with the ship just mother nature but that's Alaska, Timing is everything.

For the month before we left I was remodeling our master bathroom. I needed a vacation from that project. I still have drawer fronts to make to finish it up. Maybe next week...

framer

Here the best of the whale images, not much to get excited about. Really this is it for 3 hours in the boat.

Click on image then click on full size imge to show full size.

wt1t.jpg

wt2t.jpg

wt3t.jpg

wt4t.jpg

wt5t.jpg

framer

They look great to me, I would be happy. Our day whale hunting was worse, yours look a lot closer than we were. I was able to get about 3 - 4 shots from a great distance of one whale tail, out of which 2 look decent. And a couple of Orca fins. That was it, you get what you can get. But it does give you an excuse to go again;p. You know look at these great shots and then the pitiful ones I got, I need to go again..... :confused::confused:.

KYBOB you image is no longer visible. I did see it yesterday. I was on the ruby the following week 26th -2nd, nice shot though.

Here an image of Ma & Pa eagle sitting in a sea buoy.

Click on image then click on full size imge to show full size.

e1.jpg

framer

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! Getting me excited for my trip! Totally forgot about my Alaska trip for a while.

Sort of unexpectedly had to deal with a major purchase/toy. Still dealing with the fallout from that. Had to send a lens in for service and haven't even gotten a chance to really check and see if it's all right yet.

The lighting was just terrible but I did a bit of dodging, burning... threw the kitchen sink at it.

cce1.jpg

I though it was cool with two eagles in the picture.

Nikon D810 w/nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR2 no converter used.

framer

LR. It's the only thing out right now. They just recently opened orders for AWD and Performance. July will probably just be deliveries of LR cars people already ordered in June or earlier. I think Performance will be the bulk of deliveries in August and September, with AWD after that. People likely won't get LR cars until end of year in all likelihood if they ordered in July. The standard won't come until 2019.

Very weird process. Luckily, I actually configured my car way back in April, with the second one (my parents) in May. We beat the rush, so to speak. Still, they gave me 2 days notice. Very stressful.