What are the age ranges on aurora and arcadia?

sidekick180

I am considering booking a 7 night cruise in May or June 2019 and wondered if anyone could give me a rough idea of the age ranges on both ships. I know that Arcadia is an adult only ship but I believe the Aurora will also be an adult only ship after May 2019.

I am 58 and my girlfriend will be 47. We mix well with older people but also younger ones. Just don't reallly want to be totally swamped by too many of the older generation. Nothing against the elderly, it's purely that my girlfriend would feel more comfortable if there was a good mix af age groups, especially a few of her own age. I'm also a very young and active 58 year old so I do enjoy a bit of a boogie with a younger crowd.

Myself and husband fall in the middle of your age range and have cruised on both Arcadia and Aurora. But probably the best comparison is a 7 night cruise that we did in September 2016 on Oriana. Oriana is probably the ship known to have the oldest age demographic but being a 7 night cruise there were plenty of people our age and a bit younger as well as those older. So I would say its more the length of cruise than the particular ship.

Getting back to Arcadia and Aurora, both our cruises on those ships again had plenty of people of similar age. Our last cruise on Aurora was a Christmas Markets cruise and we met a lovely Australian couple who were doing it as a back to back cruise, the first leg being 14 nights to the Canaries. They commented on the much younger age range for the Christmas Markets (10 nights) than had been on the Canaries cruise so I do think length of cruise and destinations make a difference.

How long is a piece of string! It will mainly depend on itinerary and length of cruise. Longer cruises attract more retired people, otherwise I have always seen a fair mix of ages.

Just done an 18 night cruise on Oriana and have to confess even we felt that we had more than usual of much older people and mobility scooters were everywhere. Now age is relative as we are 71 and 79, but fit and active, use the stairs when we can and like to be up late. Having felt like Balmoral was an old folks home, this is the first time I noticed it on Oriana. BUT, 18 nights is a longish cruise and therefore appeals to older folk. I am still working, and actually my husband works from home, so we are not retired.

I really do think it depends on the length of the cruise and the destinations.

We usually go on Aurora at Christmas and always found an excellent range of ages... BUT we have just come off Aurora yesterday (Fjords) and we felt (apart from a few exceptions) that we were the youngest! (Hubby is 55 and I hit 50 on board...) We sadly saw very few families and younger couples, to the point where we commented at how noticeable it was and how many wheelchairs, walking sticks and mental infirm were onboard... our stewardess was rather too honest in saying she didn’t like being given certain cabins, as they ended up being a care home (her words)

I’d suggest a holiday time cruise if you want a wider range of ages...

I am considering booking a 7 night cruise in May or June 2019 and wondered if anyone could give me a rough idea of the age ranges on both ships. I know that Arcadia is an adult only ship but I believe the Aurora will also be an adult only ship after May 2019.

I am 58 and my girlfriend will be 47. We mix well with older people but also younger ones. Just don't reallly want to be totally swamped by too many of the older generation. Nothing against the elderly, it's purely that my girlfriend would feel more comfortable if there was a good mix af age groups, especially a few of her own age. I'm also a very young and active 58 year old so I do enjoy a bit of a boogie with a younger crowd.

In my experience both of those ships tend to attract older passengers, more so Arcadia which can sometimes resemble a floating retirement home. On the bright side you will seam like positive teenagers on those ships. My wife and I are a similar age to yourself, and we to, have found the older passengers can be very interesting to listen to. The downside is, most are in bed by 10 O'clock so the ship is quite quiet in the evenings. Always room in the gym though.

As someone in my late 60's we enjoy the evening shows and enjoy dancing and a drink or two, we would never consider going to bed before 12 am. :D

Unless we have an early excursion the following morning.

BTW, we draw the line about going to the gym.:eek:

As someone in my late 60's we enjoy the evening shows and enjoy dancing and a drink or two, we would never consider going to bed before 12 am. :D

Unless we have an early excursion the following morning.

BTW, we draw the line about going to the gym.:eek:

:')

Now that is true. We never have trouble getting a sunbed. Didn't find it that quiet. The shows were well attended and the late one doesn't finish until 11.15. After that there were loads of folk in the bars, the pub and generally enjoying themselves, so old or not, still life in the old dogs! And I include us in that remark!

Depending on when you might Cruise on Aurora she is going adults only. The average age will probably increase to something like Oriana and Arcadia. It depends on you too. If you go to the gym and do more active activities you are likely to meet some younger (middle aged) people. If you spend all day in the library or sitting in Tiffanies you are likely to meet older people. If your excursion involve cycling or canoeing you will probably be with younger people. If your excursions are coach trips to museums you will probably be with older people. Older passengers often dine early. Younger passengers later or in the buffet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree with all that except for dining. I could not eat at 6.30. I haven't eaten at that time since I was 6! We are as I said 71 and 79 and we like to go for drinkies at 7 to 7.15 and then dinner at 8.30 is perfect.

What does amaze me is the queue for Freedom dining at 5.30?????? What are they queueing for, even on Black Tie nights.

• Like 1

Agree with all that except for dining. I could not eat at 6.30. I haven't eaten at that time since I was 6! We are as I said 71 and 79 and we like to go for drinkies at 7 to 7.15 and then dinner at 8.30 is perfect.

What does amaze me is the queue for Freedom dining at 5.30?????? What are they queueing for, even on Black Tie nights.

I was surprised to see passengers do this too. If must works well for them. I suppose it allows them to maximise the evening entertainment.

I was surprised to see passengers do this too. If must works well for them. I suppose it allows them to maximise the evening entertainment.

I think it is because they don’t want freedom dining, they want first sitting. They cannot get first sitting so they turn freedom dining into first sitting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think it is because they don’t want freedom dining, they want first sitting. They cannot get first sitting so they turn freedom dining into first sitting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They queue early for freedom dining to guarantee a table for 2. On Princess dinner can be had from as early as 5-30 when restaurants open and a lot of Americans like to eat early.

They queue early for freedom dining to guarantee a table for 2. On Princess dinner can be had from as early as 5-30 when restaurants open and a lot of Americans like to eat early.

There are national differences. I was on a Spanish ship. Early sitting was 8pm. Late sitting was 10pm. I was most surprised to see babies and children on second sitting. The early sitting suited me perfectly and after dinner the bars were quiet until midnight.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Apparently (because I asked a few people) for tables for two. They don't want to share and they don't want to have a pager and wait.

Apparently (because I asked a few people) for tables for two. They don't want to share and they don't want to have a pager and wait.

The other way to do it if you want a table for 2 (as I have done many times) is to go to Freedom dining just before 9.30 when the doors close. At that time you can have the pick of the restaurant.

If you are so minded, it also allows you to see both an early show starting at 8.30 finishing at 9.15 then the late show starting at 10.30.

There are a limited number of tables for two. When these are full, then you will either have to take a pager and wait, or share a large table. initially people would start queuing a few minutes early to ensure they got a table for two. The more people came, just a few minutes earlier, and going down at 6 o clock didn't work any more because there were so many people in front of you that all the 2's were gone when you got in. So the queue started even earlier. Now it seems to start at at 5.25!

It's what they call an "arms race"!