From the cow kings to an Empress, Norton goes on a little Sojourn

The reality of TK Grill bookings is very different to the “official” policy which I suspect is there to make it seem more special and exclusive than it actually is. If you call to make a booking, even on the same day, and are reasonably flexible on time you will very likely get a table.

Didn’t you realize we visited Kodiak on Memorial Day weekend. It is a significant national holiday in the U.S. to memorialize those who lost their lives defending our country. Hope this wasn’t too much of a disappointment for you, after all, it was all Seabourn’s fault.

I'm American. I figured that a WW2 museum would be open on Memorial day. Ah well.

The reality of TK Grill bookings is very different to the “official” policy which I suspect is there to make it seem more special and exclusive than it actually is. If you call to make a booking, even on the same day, and are reasonably flexible on time you will very likely get a table.

I will definitely lodge a complaint with Seabourn! We were told on the first day we were only allowed one dinner in “the Grill”. Perhaps we should complain more often. We also received no towel animals from our stewardess! Thought all passengers were “equal” on Seabourn, but obviously some are more equal than others.

TK Grill reservations were rather erratic/YMMV. I don't recall being told that there was a limit, but I did have a reservation "accidentally" deleted from the system. Others I spoke with felt that they were being leaned on to give up or change their reservations.

Isklaar, just to add on, Highway 1 north of Russian river up through Mendocino is also just beautiful, spectacular coastline. It rivals or betters the more famous central CA Big Sur to Cambria portion of HWY 1 IMO. There are some mountain roads (read slow and indirect) from the Mendocino area over to just north of the Sonoma and Napa valleys, but the entire circuit will require at least 1 (better 2) overnights. Also beware winter storms off the Pacific can make coastal/rural driving treacherous, with possible mudslide closures.

Thanks for this additional information, added my file.

I can see this '4 week' trip is going to turn into a 3 month trip!

On the subject of TK reservations.

Disclaimer - my experience is limited to the O class ships. On the Quest cruise when TK had recently been introduced I was looking for a table for one, subsequent cruises would have been a table for two.

One reservation permitted online before departure.

Once on board I make further reservations on an ad hoc basis (no pun intended).

On Quest I would often get a call during the day asking me to reconfirm my reservation that evening. Towards the end of that cruise I got a couple of calls to let me know that tables were available that evening, and asking would I like them to book one for me. it was a 14 night cruise and I ate there four times. I was in a veranda suite on that cruise so I certainly wasn't receiving preferential treatment dependant on suite type. (I've never noticed anything like that anyway, except they seem to remember my name quicker when I'm staying in a premium suite)

Getting calls about available tables hasn't happened in subsequent cruises but on my most recent 14 night Sojourn cruise I also ate there four times. If I wanted, it could have been more than that. That's enough for me on a 14 night cruise, there's only so much coconut layer cake a person can eat! ;)

When it was R2, private events would be held there, which obviously took the space out of use for remaining guests. I do not know for sure, but it's a reasonable assumption, that private events still take place there. I'm wondering if this is why guests were leaned on to cancel or change during EN's cruise. If that was the reason, I think that's unfair.

Overall I like the TK Grill. I think the service is better - for a dinner service - than e.g in the MDR but I completely understand that some people find it just too fussy and attentive, even overbearing. Ingredient quality is generally better too. It's a pleasant addition to the dining options onboard, and I'm saying this as someone who did like R2, but it's not quite up to the hype. IMO.

The 29th of May was another sea day.

While it was a bit cold outside Antonio provided me with an elixir to keep my insides warm. In addition to the bouillon on deck they now had hot chocolate - which IMO was OK (it wasn't the Seabourn square chocolate on a stick version which I found far superior). However when he added Grand Marnier and Baileys it became a smooth, creamy and yet dangerous;) beverage.

i-6VSsMVV-XL.jpg

I guess relations with Cuba aren't going well enough to get Cuban rum (Cuba Libre)

i-dvKjVrW-XL.jpg

Thar be whales cap'n? I never did see a whale.

i-3dZ6c7g-XL.jpg

But I did see a Cruise Director and a Captain.

i-CvMxDpg-XL.jpg

i-dHczdXj-XL.jpg

Also the first bar manager of the cruise.

i-tCGLpDZ-XL.jpg

Dinner tonight was again in the Colonnade. It was a Thomas Keller seafood boil theme (New England version rather than Southern).

Regardless of the menu the starter was always a salad

i-5QT4cTw-XL.jpg

IIRC the boil was comprised of corn, shrimp, clams and lobster bits (mostly claw meat IIRC - also there may have been mussels)

i-VbjQhNn-XL.jpg

Dessert was a lemon meringue bar (as opposed to the lemon meringue tart in the TK Grill)

i-cNjpZwV-XL.jpg

i-RgksbPf-XL.jpg

i-cpGLMkc-XL.jpg

Prime viewing space was a bit hard to come by.

i-xtLnPqL-XL.jpg

i-BbHPtTr-XL.jpg

There were however other vantage points available.

i-bvqmz8m-XL.jpg

This is one of those times where a long focal length lens would have been welcome. Sometimes you really do need to be able to reach out and touch someone/thing. As close as I could get to the bear (with a lot of cropping to boot).

i-xXFDQt2-Th.jpg

Sensational photos and video.

You had so many of my favourite crew on this cruise. Assuming it's the same Antonio that I know he is such a sweet guy. I noticed that he's extremely kind to the more senior guests. Very thoughtful in helping them as necessary but without coming across patronising.

There was only one other ship near us, the Celebrity uhh... Something or Other.

i-DT8gnSF-XL.jpg

I was surprised that I didn't see hot libations being passed around on deck for this on ship tour. Silversea did it, Crystal did it, Disney did it and Seabourn did it in Milford Sound. I don't know if this is a result of the under staffing or something else. Either way it is a nit as you could duck into the Observation bar for a something if you desired.

Dinner was once again in (surprise) the Colonnade. Tonights theme was Italian. Of course there was a tomato flavored butter as well as regular butter and a characterless extra virgin.

i-ZNhpKS8-XL.jpg

The starter was a tiny portion of Carpaccio (I'd ask for a double next time).

i-Q638fMk-XL.jpg

This was a mushroom risotto that was recommended to my by the waiter. I like it when staff starts to get to know the passengers and takes the time to make recommendations. This seemed to be unique to the Colonnade and TK Grill this cruise.

i-52vQ4LS-XL.jpg

Nothing goes better with risotto than more risotto and of course some Osso Bucco complete with unctuous bone marrow.

i-SbVH72S-XL.jpg

Dessert was not surprisingly Tiramisu.

i-G5xZ2Pv-XL.jpg

One of the nice things about being this far north (or not so nice depending) is that the sun sets late in the evening (or early in the morning) so that after dinner it's still light out.

i-LmrJb85-XL.jpg

Eventually however the sun must set.

i-5V8nJP6-XL.jpg

i-bZwCmZf-XL.jpg

i-KxxsgPN-XL.jpg

Remember the towel animal I couldn't identify? It went down a rabbit hole of strange.

i-BMnpNfH-XL.jpg

What it looked like when I came in and the lights were off:

i-4tBFmqp-XL.jpg

Sensational photos and video.

You had so many of my favourite crew on this cruise. Assuming it's the same Antonio that I know he is such a sweet guy. I noticed that he's extremely kind to the more senior guests. Very thoughtful in helping them as necessary but without coming across patronising.

Brazilian and one other nationality that I can't recall at the moment. He was my favorite in the Patio bar.

The 31st was spent in Juneau. I've white water rafted the Mendenhall, done the Mount Roberts tramway and been hiking on the glacier. Now whenever I visit I use the day as a rest day in the Red Dog Saloon as well as a chance to see how badly certain mass market cruise lines have wrecked the town (IMO). How native can the coffee, chocolate, Tanzanite and diamonds really be?

The happy face seems to have left the bridge.

i-5jQTbgh-XL.jpg

i-bxp8d93-XL.jpg

They had an interesting collection of animals (some real, others not so much) inside.

i-cvC9G7J-XL.jpg

Sadly no one rang the bell.

i-Fv7TB5N-XL.jpg

The town seems to disappear into the mountains.

i-wh6NHTS-XL.jpg

They even borrowed some of their Caribbean colors.

i-Knq8kDz-XL.jpg

Is there an age limit on busking?

i-S23jGXk-XL.jpg

We didn't rate the first or even second best piers in town and had to bus it.

i-dRg6xPg-XL.jpg

One again the no bears on tram sign seems to have worked.

i-sBVxshb-XL.jpg

In Alaska there's a shot called the Duck Flatus (use a more juvenile term for the correct name). It's a concoction of Kahlua, Baileys and Crown Royal. I decided to forgo this drink while in town. Artem decided that I should have one while in Alaska. That's partially accurate. Due to the Sky bar lacking proper shot glasses it ended up being made and proportioned in an old fashioned glass. So I ended up having about three of the things in one go.

i-cQL6KRv-XL.jpg

1 June - Inside Passage

Today I found the palms on deck had been replaced by trees including one Charlie Brown special.

i-SP7LXK8-XL.jpg

While in Juneau they did pick up some of the local beer.

i-szDC2wz-XL.jpg

It seems they were desperate to find homes for some things in the gift shop.

i-zGMRngJ-XL.jpg

i-q2VFTxs-XL.jpg

A cloudy end to the day

i-3ghRb2s-XL.jpg

1 June Inside Passage gallery

Brazilian and one other nationality that I can't recall at the moment. He was my favorite in the Patio bar.

Yes, that's him. Great guy.

The most recent towel animal is for certain a duck, wearing his complimentary Seabourn sleep mask.

The darker shot is actually quite scary.

This is one of those times where a long focal length lens would have been welcome. Sometimes you really do need to be able to reach out and touch someone/thing. As close as I could get to the bear (with a lot of cropping to boot).

i-xXFDQt2-Th.jpg

I had the same problems as you did. I have a 55-300mm telephoto and have come to the conclusion that it really isn't good enough for wildlife photography. I'm looking at getting a 200-500mm for our next cruise and, perhaps, adding a 1.4 teleconverter to the mix as well.

In Alaska there's a shot called the Duck Flatus (use a more juvenile term for the correct name). It's a concoction of Kahlua, Baileys and Crown Royal. I decided to forgo this drink while in town. Artem decided that I should have one while in Alaska. That's partially accurate. Due to the Sky bar lacking proper shot glasses it ended up being made and proportioned in an old fashioned glass. So I ended up having about three of the things in one go.

Artem has previous for plying guests with drinks. One evening he was pouring me such huge quantities of cognac that I was forced to retire earlier than I might have otherwise.

Of course it wasn't his fault that I was drinking them.

I had the same problems as you did. I have a 55-300mm telephoto and have come to the conclusion that it really isn't good enough for wildlife photography. I'm looking at getting a 200-500mm for our next cruise and, perhaps, adding a 1.4 teleconverter to the mix as well.

Lots of light and your new best friend will probably be a tripod.;)

That was taken with a teeny 24-70.

Artem has previous for plying guests with drinks. One evening he was pouring me such huge quantities of cognac that I was forced to retire earlier than I might have otherwise.

Of course it wasn't his fault that I was drinking them.

I think he made the drink more as a joke. The :eek: look on his face when I slammed it was priceless. I'm hoping he's on my next Seabourn cruise. Whenever that ends up being.

Lots of light and your new best friend will probably be a tripod.;)

That was taken with a teeny 24-70.

I have one of them but it can be tricky setting it up for wildlife as the critters have a bad habit of moving about.

I have a Nikon Coolpix b700 camera with a 60x optical zoom that worked well for wildlife. This was from an excursion out of Prince Rupert. I must say that it takes a lot of picture taking to get one centered well when taken from a boat. But you can do it.

a47c7d0eacd75fe6c0a5b0d1a179afd2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums