Ports of call Walvis Bay, Port Elizabeth and and East London

Suzez

In Walvis Bay, we did an excellent tour with another couple from our cruise critic roll call. The company we used was Turnstone Tours. They have an excellent website, and their pre-cruise communications were very professional. We chose the tour to Sandwich Harbor because we were interested in seeing the flamingos and other shore birds. In addition, it was fun going up and down some sand dunes in our Jeep. (I believe they also have a desert tour. ) They supplied a delicious picnic lunch for us. That day was one of the highlights of our Cape Town to Rio Cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Port Elizabeth is very convenient for https://www.sanparks.org/parks/addo/

Probably your best bet for a port-of-call safari on that cruise itinerary, Addo is a national park.

Altho promoted as an elephant park, it has a wide variety of other animals such as large herds of hartebeest, kudo & zebras, lots of warthogs. Leopards & lions too, though sightings are rare.

Southern entrance is just 25 miles / 30 minutes from Port Elizabeth & the route is very easy. The park is well worth 3 to 4 hours plus a refreshment break.

Simplest is to rent a car & self-drive the park, tho' you can probably pre-book a tour from Port Elizabeth.

We spent a day there during a South Africa road-trip.

JB :) .

In Walvis Bay, we did an excellent tour with another couple from our cruise critic roll call. The company we used was Turnstone Tours. They have an excellent website, and their pre-cruise communications were very professional. We chose the tour to Sandwich Harbor because we were interested in seeing the flamingos and other shore birds. In addition, it was fun going up and down some sand dunes in our Jeep. (I believe they also have a desert tour. ) They supplied a delicious picnic lunch for us. That day was one of the highlights of our Cape Town to Rio Cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks sounds wonderful, thank you for the information. I will investigate :)

Port Elizabeth is very convenient for https://www.sanparks.org/parks/addo/

Probably your best bet for a port-of-call safari on that cruise itinerary, Addo is a national park.

Altho promoted as an elephant park, it has a wide variety of other animals such as large herds of hartebeest, kudo & zebras, lots of warthogs. Leopards & lions too, though sightings are rare.

Southern entrance is just 25 miles / 30 minutes from Port Elizabeth & the route is very easy. The park is well worth 3 to 4 hours plus a refreshment break.

Simplest is to rent a car & self-drive the park, tho' you can probably pre-book a tour from Port Elizabeth.

We spent a day there during a South Africa road-trip.

JB :) .

Thank you John, we do have a post cruise land tour which includes a safari. I may look into optional safaris from Port Elizabeth.

Thank you John, we do have a post cruise land tour which includes a safari. I may look into optional safaris from Port Elizabeth.

Hi Sue,

Then that'll depend on the other options from PE and where & how long your post-cruise safari.

For instance, Addo would be incomparably better than something like an ostrich farm for your port-of-call day, but pales in comparison with Kruger.:(

On the other hand............ whereas after a brilliant pre-cruise safari it might be comparatively disappointing, before a post-cruise safari it can be a worthwhile & reasonably economical taste of things to come. :)

JB :)

• 1 month later...
I'd be very interested in what anyone did in these ports please. We will be visiting them on our next cruise.

Hi Suzez,

Last spring, we traveled from Singapore to Cape Town, stopping in Port Elizabeth. As I recall, there were a lot of game reserve options to pick from. We went on a sunset safari at Addo Elephant National Park. We saw lots of wildlife, including elephants, lions, zebras, warthogs, and kudu. A sighting of a mother elephant and her baby was a highlight.

Here's a video my husband made:

I also did a blog post, which includes lots of photos of the animals, as well as what the open-safari vehicle was like:

https://triciaannemitchell.com/2017/08/12/addo-elephant-park-south-africa-safari/

Whatever option you choose, here's hoping you have a nice time!