When does Southwest open bookings?

S.S.Oceanlover

It's typically in the early morning...8ish. But as Host Clarea notes, it could really be anytime. My 8ish estimate

is based on the last two years. It's never any exact time. You just have to pay attention that morning and keep refreshing.

Ok thanks. We are in Philly but probably going to fly from Baltimore since it's a lot cheaper and they have non-stop flights. None from Philly.

AA flies nonstop from PHL to SJU and they're on sale right now (they fly 2-3x nonstops daily depending on the day). Keep in mind that Southwest is not always cheapest - they may be the cheapest on the day they go on sale, but by waiting for Southwest you could lose out on a lower fare available right now. Also, don't forget to factor transportation and time in to your commuting from PHL to BWI versus the nonstop available from PHL.

AA flies nonstop from PHL to SJU and they're on sale right now (they fly 2-3x nonstops daily depending on the day). Keep in mind that Southwest is not always cheapest - they may be the cheapest on the day they go on sale, but by waiting for Southwest you could lose out on a lower fare available right now. Also, don't forget to factor transportation and time in to your commuting from PHL to BWI versus the nonstop available from PHL.
We flew down there last October on AA. Very nice flights no problems at all.

When you said they were on sale now I just went and checked and they are the same price as they have been for the last 2 months $439 per person.

While I agree with you that Southwest is not always the cheapest especially from Philly going from Baltimore should definitely save us about $300 taking into consideration the $100 in baggage fees we will save.

Thank you I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I am so glad you posted this! My husband will be happy to hear too. It has been driving me crazy that I can't cross check all the prices yet. And I wanted to wanted to wait for a sale with Southwest before making my decisions.

Thank you!

Edit:

And by my husband being happy, I mean he will be glad that I will hopefully stop yapping about flights with Southwest. I haven't flown in a long time so I've been a little nutty.

Edited by karkee8807
Forgot to add something

We flew down there last October on AA. Very nice flights no problems at all.

When you said they were on sale now I just went and checked and they are the same price as they have been for the last 2 months $439 per person.

While I agree with you that Southwest is not always the cheapest especially from Philly going from Baltimore should definitely save us about $300 taking into consideration the $100 in baggage fees we will save.

Thank you I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Bill

When I said they were "on sale" now, I meant that you could purchase them now, not that the pricing was a sale pricing. And yeah, you definitely know your dates and associated pricing, as well as the costs of travel to Baltimore. But, I know of many, many people who have waited for Southwest schedules to come out, only to find out that AA, United, Delta, etc. ticket they saw months ago would have been cheaper, but they waited with the assumption that Southwest would be cheapest and lost out. Happens A LOT, so I try to make people aware of that.

When I said they were "on sale" now, I meant that you could purchase them now, not that the pricing was a sale pricing. And yeah, you definitely know your dates and associated pricing, as well as the costs of travel to Baltimore. But, I know of many, many people who have waited for Southwest schedules to come out, only to find out that AA, United, Delta, etc. ticket they saw months ago would have been cheaper, but they waited with the assumption that Southwest would be cheapest and lost out. Happens A LOT, so I try to make people aware of that.
My apologies for the misunderstanding.

I'm right there with you on the Southwest prices could disappoint as I've seen it happen many times.

Southwest used to almost automatically be the cheapest from Philadelphia but that is when they had their fuel hedged with the lower prices and since they bought or merged with AirTran they do not have many non-stop flights from Philadelphia anymore.

Bill

Best time to buy airfare is 49 days out.

if your buying with money

if with points as soon as dates are released.

I am speaking of Southwest Airlines.

I expect December to be released on Thursday

But check often until they are released.

What is your source for that? I’ve always read best fares for domestic are 90 days out.

Just experience over the past 18years I would only fly Southwest as long as I could get get a flight on them where I was flying.

I earned over 9 million points with Southwest, I am now retired.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The new dates for SW will be open through January 9, 2019 THIS Thursday, May 31. This info is always on their website.

You are correct except when the change there dates.

You are correct except when the change there dates.

I changed it to the 6th. I knew it was a single digit. I included the link I’d anyone wants to bookmark it. I’m interested in late November.

Here’s the link again so it won’t get buried. The date the new flights open is May 31.

https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-schedules/index.html

That wasnt the way it played out last October on AA.

The round trip fares started at $421 and stayed that way until about two weeks before the cruise when they went up.

Bill

Sorry I can’t speak for AA have not had to book them in 12 to 13 years.[emoji2][emoji41]

I have a flight booked for NYC in exactly two weeks. 6 months ago I paid $162 one way, today you can buy the ticket for $157. It is all about supply and demand. One thing I can guarantee is SW will never have low fares on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. We take a Thanksgiving cruise every year and the Wanna Get Away fare has always alluded me. Good thing for the companion pass, best perk of all airlines!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I have a flight booked for NYC in exactly two weeks. 6 months ago I paid $162 one way, today you can buy the ticket for $157. It is all about supply and demand. One thing I can guarantee is SW will never have low fares on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. We take a Thanksgiving cruise every year and the Wanna Get Away fare has always alluded me. Good thing for the companion pass, best perk of all airlines!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I agree with you on that point my wife as flown free for the last few years, everywhere I go.