Status of Ocean Medallion?

denamo

There were certainly posts here that said folks could choose a card if they preferred.

I'm on the Caribbean Princess in a Medallion cabin right now. We just had a meeting with John Padgett and he said no one has to use a Medallion if they don't want to. He said if you want to just use the cruise card you can.

Quite simple.

Not all pax receive a Medallion. Regal is still on the Stage #1 pilot, with only those in Muster

Station "B" receiving one.

There is a report that only pax on one deck of Caribbean are getting one, and only starting today.

This we have two Medallion decks on Caribbean Princess, Lido and Riviera. They told us today that next week will be Aloha.

I believe you can decline use of *****. check the latest new catalog which I just received last week from princess. ...the catalog is about 150 pages long. At the bottom of page 26 it says “Guests opting out of guest experience network will be given an RFID card for embarkation and disembarkation purpose, as well as access to their staterooms”. No ***** is almost completely different in this new Catalog and I can only find it mentioned on page 26. The description seems to be somewhat different on this page than than the description last year

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm on the Caribbean Princess in a Medallion cabin right now. We just had a meeting with John Padgett and he said no one has to use a Medallion if they don't want to. He said if you want to just use the cruise card you can.

Thank you for your first-hand post.

My understanding as well, thanks for the confirmation. What's interesting to me is that the new cards will also be RFID, so theoretically, would they not also allow "the system" to know where you are any time you are in proximity to one of the receivers? My fundamental desire with the new technology is to be no more visible than I am when using the old-style magnetic cards, i.e. I only want to "pop up on the grid" when I hand the card to an employee, when getting on or off the ship, into our cabin, or making a purchase. If that's all the new RFID cards will allow, we're happy.

Only certain cabins on the Caribbean Princess will receive the medallion this cruise 8/18. Increasing rollout this month. We did not get one at check in today.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At today's meeting (actually at the Q & A afterwards with one of the Medallion folks) we were told the plan was that they were going to try and bring on Aloha deck during this week sometime (she didn't sound convinced they could make it work). If not, then next week would be Aloha deck and Baja.

We will be on the Regal in Feb in cabin M201 and wondering if we will be in the ***** group. I knw from sailing on her this past feb that they had the ***** in some of the forward cabins and thought we just might have them form for next year. Would appreciate it if some one on there now or lately could answer.

Thanks in advance

Molme

I'm home now and want to upload my photo of the cabin. However, I can't figure out how to upload a photo from my desktop. Anyone?

At today's meeting (actually at the Q & A afterwards with one of the Medallion folks) we were told the plan was that they were going to try and bring on Aloha deck during this week sometime (she didn't sound convinced they could make it work). If not, then next week would be Aloha deck and Baja.

Woo hoo! We are on the Baja deck in November so we should get one! (yn)

Not sure if you bumped into this, but there is a I believe 6 (could be 10) second lockout on the door after it is closed before it will open again. This is to prevent someone stepping into the hall and turning around to find their door is not locked.

I tested our cabin door along this line and found it was just around five seconds. It can be easily overridden by putting the card or the medallion up to the screen itself.

I tested our cabin door along this line and found it was just around five seconds. It can be easily overridden by putting the card or the medallion up to the screen itself.

When I spoke to the Princess manager that had come from an ***** briefing the previous day, he indicated this was a big usage problem they ran into along with range of the Medallion. One of the big complaints they had from users last year was their door didn't lock. User would step out, turn around, and test the door. Without the lockout period, the door was supposed to open if they had the Medallion.

Manager did not mention the bypass with the display. I like how they integrated that.

Enjoy your cruise and thanks for the updates!

From one (non-Princess) web site:

The new Ocean Medalliontechnology on Princess sends you personalized shore excursion recommendations for your next port of call.

But this is one reason why Princess has invested too much money in the new technology. For Princess it is not about unlocking doors (easy enough to do with a cruise card) but about targeted marketing and having the ability to track the habits of passengers (they will even know how long you spend in your cabin bathroom). Not only can they personalize shore excursion recommendations, but they could quickly ID those who "shopped till they drop" and market every sale on the ship (even if they have 20 sales a day). We think its pure genius on the part of Princess. They have come up with a new direct marketing tool and have many folks begging for it! I just consider my home phone number where we currently have over 50 direct marketing phone numbers blocked. Government imposed "Do not call" lists are now worthless.

Hank