New Meaning to "Country Club Casual"

Condocat

Just returned from 12 days on the Riveria to learn blue jeans are now allowed in the Grand Dining Room at night and all Speacialty Restaurants.

I fear this will be opening "Pandora's Box" to the policing of this new dress code. Already my husband and I saw one man wearing faded, frayed jeans along with his untucked shirt into the Grand Dining Room. Another evening, a group of 4 individuals sat next to us in Polo all wearing blue jeans and sneakers. Sorry, it didn't work.

Blue jeans are great during the day, but in the evening, they belong in the closet. Oceania doesn't need to cheapen it's brand, other cruise lines do that quite well.

This is merely my opinion from recent experience.

Is this code new? Did it qualify "Casual Jeans" before?

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club-casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner

Is this code new? Did it qualify "Casual Jeans" before?

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club-casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner

No they just REQUEST jeans not be worn most people go along with the REQUEST

There was a passenger on our cruise in May that wore overalls... You know the farmer type, denim and all.. With those yellow work boots.

It was at at the Terrace for dinner.

Not at one country club that I know (or belong to) is that acceptable attire.

That one really surprised me...

That was the best they could do?

How hard is it to throw a pair of slacks on and tuck in the shirt? I HATE formal nights on the mass market lines, but like everyone said - there IS a fine line here. We usually just wear slacks and a polo shirt and a sport coat. Super easy and takes about 1 minute. I don't understand why some people feel like they are exempt. Dinner on O is a "special" thing. You aren't at home eating in front of the television. And everyone paid (a lot of) money for this experience. The overalls and yellow work boots are too much. I'll say, designer jeans could pass if done right, but even that would be off our radar.

Just returned from 12 days on the Riveria to learn blue jeans are now allowed in the Grand Dining Room at night and all Speacialty Restaurants.

I fear this will be opening "Pandora's Box" to the policing of this new dress code. Already my husband and I saw one man wearing faded, frayed jeans along with his untucked shirt into the Grand Dining Room. Another evening, a group of 4 individuals sat next to us in Polo all wearing blue jeans and sneakers. Sorry, it didn't work.

Blue jeans are great during the day, but in the evening, they belong in the closet. Oceania doesn't need to cheapen it's brand, other cruise lines do that quite well.

This is merely my opinion from recent experience.

While I NEVER wear a jacket or a tie on Oceania (one of the reasons I love them), I have to agree with you that jeans and sneakers are inappropriate for evenings in either the MDR or specialty restaurants.

I feel pretty strongly that O should enforce this rule. If one "must" wear jeans or sneakers, they can dine in the Terrace Cafe.

While I NEVER wear a jacket or a tie on Oceania (one of the reasons I love them), I have to agree with you that jeans and sneakers are inappropriate for evenings in either the MDR or specialty restaurants.

I feel pretty strongly that O should enforce this rule. If one "must" wear jeans or sneakers, they can dine in the Terrace Cafe.

Or cruise on another line.:( It would appear that the posters are in agreement on this thread. I hope that Oceania execs read this and give us their thoughts.:confused:

But did it always say "casual jeans"? Seems they are making a distinction between designer/dressy jeans as opposed to Levi's & Wranglers.

I believe in the past it was no jeans for dinner except in the Terrace

like I said it is a slippery slope ;)

Lyn

Sad to say that Jeans are the new norm around here. We just went to a fancy steakhouse - white linen, comparable to Polo. Our neighborhood is very upscale; A few women were dressed in skirts/cocktai/sheath dresses. A few older gents had coat and tie. The majority were in jeans. Even a few in shorts and running shoes. When your dinner is averaging $75-100 per person - that is pretty sad. The dress code in my opinion is about respect. Few people put on "Sunday Best" anymore. I was next door to a church last week when the service let out and everyone was in jeans there too.

As I mentioned before, on my Caribbean cruise on Riviera last Jan. there were people who wore shorts and tee shirts day and night, albeit not in the GDR or specialty restaurants. Jeans actually fall within the requested dress code, just not "casual jeans", whatever the distinction might be. I discussed this issue with FDR and got the clear impression that management does not want to put the crew in the position of having to police how passengers dress on the ships.

Dress codes, like smoking policy is one of those areas that definitely leads to controversy. There are still posters on the Crystal board who are upset that formal nights have now become formal optional. Personally I like to see people dressed nicely on a ship at night, but obviously everyone does not see it that way.

Sad, but O must think it necessary to get business.I just do not like to see jeans on any ship, let alone a fine line like Oceania.

I suggest they may lose business rather than getting more. IMO it is appropriate for dining room management to quietly remind offending passengers to abide by the 'O' dress guidelines. I am surprised at the suggestion that FDR does not want the crew have to take action to have passengers conform with the company rules. What next might we observe the crew ignoring just because it is a somewhat delicate issue? :confused:

We just returned from a 14 day cruise two weeks ago. It was a Baltic cruise. I can't remember seeing many people who were under dressed. Maybe a few, but not the majority. I had to keep reminding my husband that he didn't need to dress up for dinner, but he never listened to me! He didn't wear a tie every night, but certainly his sports jacket! Maybe it has something to do with the younger generation - which we are not part of unfortunately!

When we spoke with the Food & Beverage Director serving on our cruise on the Riviera from Sept 30-Oct 11, he told us this newly revised dress code has been been "quietly" rolled out in the past 3 weeks from the Miami office.

If Oceania decides to continue this new trend, they need a new marketing stategy. "Country Club Casual Attire" doesn't work anymore. I don't know of any country clubs, nor have I belonged to any clubs that allow jeans of any kind in their fine dining areas.

Oceania needs to stay a cut above the norm. Allowing everyone to dress like they're going to Burger King for dinner makes them appear below average.

Blue jeans are great during the day, but in the evening, they belong in the closet.

Actually, I don't even understand the appeal of jeans during the day. Jeans are the bulkiest pants in most people's closet. They're thicker than most women's slacks and thicker than a pair of chinos for men. On the basis of packing efficiently, I don't understand why some one would want to take up extra space packing a bulky garment. The thicker denim fabric is hotter when traveling in a warm climate and takes longer to dry for folks doing laundry on a longer-length trip.

For every reason possible, I can't comprehend why anyone would include a pair of jeans in his/her travel wardrobe.

My husband and I LOVE clothes. That being said, we read all of the upscale magazines. Last year Kiton showed the most gorgeous velvet jacket with tuxedo lapels WITH DRESS JEANS. We promptly had one made for my husband.

We purchase only designer jeans.

This year Ralph Lauren is showing jeans with his fabulous winter sport jackets.

We dress in the evening for all O cruises, more than normal as my husband feels that he should be "dressed" in the evening, but sorry to say that there are several country clubs and yacht clubs here in Southern California that allow dress jeans.

This is simply a more modern style.

I am from Hawaii so I generally wear a custom made dress muu muu for dinner, but when traveling, for instance to Montreal, I arrived in dress jeans, and yes--that evening I went to the MDR. I had on heels and a really lovely silk shirt.

There is indeed a fine line here, but jeans are now acceptable.

I'm glad to see that I am not alone in not having a problem with jeans in the dinings rooms at dinner time although it does depend on the jeans -- and the look of the garments as well.

No faded, torn, raggedy remnants! But my husband has a pair of jeans that look better than most of his slacks. He's never received a negative comment when wearing them to dinner. (Better than not wearing anything I suppose.)

Mura

Happy that Oceania is allowing jeans in dining rooms. Didn't like that picture in my mind of Oceania fashion police at the entrance to dining rooms. I think they will gain more passengers than they will lose. Very surprised at the outrage over this. Customs and suggestions are one thing, RULES are another.

I also love fashion -- bought 4 new dresses for upcoming Riviera even though I'm not a dress person. In love with Soma and Chicos -- I'll be bringing my white Chicos jeans which I wear with nice tops -- very acceptable at country clubs here. Hope my dress is acceptable but you can't make everyone happy.

Times are changing. When I first started working, only dresses, pantyhose and heels were acceptable -- not even pants suits. I showed many homes to customers all dressed up sweating in the heat or sliding down driveways in the ice while customers were in shorts or snow boots.