Live from Oceania Regatta – post refurbishment!

We’ll be cruising on Oceania’s Regatta on its first post-refurbishment cruise, beginning June 7. The 10-night Alaska/British Columbia “Majesty of Alaska” itinerary starts in Vancouver and ends in Seattle.

Happy to answer any questions about the ship itself (beginning Monday, June 9, Internet willing!) and the itinerary, so please don’t be shy! Leave ‘em here….

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Edited by editor@cruisecritic

I can't wait to read your impressions, Carolyn, because we're on her on 11/28 this year. This will be our first time on Regatta so I'll have nothing to compare it to. I know I'm thrilled they've adding the Grill.

I so love Oceania ... spoiled forever. I actually got a phone call a few months ago from Kunal Kamlani just to thank me for something I'd written about Riviera. We had such a nice conversation and it reminded me how very unique and special Oceania is.

Larraine, looking forward to your impressions, too :) (although I know you already love Regatta!! ;) )

Larraine, looking forward to your impressions, too :) (although I know you already love Regatta!! ;) )

Hi Heather

Actually this will be my first time on Regatta -- but Insignia, Nautica, Regatta -- all the same wonderful experience as far as I am concerned. I am very anxious to see the results of the "facelift." It will just be taking something that is already terrific and making it even better.

We’ll be cruising on Oceania’s Regatta on its first post-refurbishment cruise, beginning June 7. The 10-night Alaska/British Columbia “Majesty of Alaska” itinerary starts in Vancouver and ends in Seattle.

Happy to answer any questions about the ship itself (beginning Monday, June 9, Internet willing!) and the itinerary, so please don’t be shy! Leave ‘em here….

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Here is a picture of Regatta in drydock (29 May 2014)

Bmg_3875S.jpg.ace3f45cf72cbd552f29d1345ce7cf5d.jpg

Thanks in advance for the announcement that you will be sharing the exciting forthcoming updates which we look forward to regarding "Regatta's " post re -furbishment.

We are looking forward to sailing on her and experiencing Oceania for the first time on a back to back sailing from San Francisco to Montreal in August & September.

Regatta is in dry dock in Vancouver ~ our home town! We will do our best I'm sure to make her shine even brighter!

The cruise critic reviews are very detailed and we appreciate the time that guests take to share information and their personal experiences!

Thank you!

Saturday, we boarded Oceania’s Regatta, which underwent a major refurbishment at Vancouver’s Seascan Shipyard, just across from the Port of Vancouver where the vessel was docked today.

First impressions? Oceania has made what we already consider to be one of the loveliest ships afloat even more gorgeous. It’s beautiful. It’s hard to believe that the ship was built in 1998, and that its design is a few years older than that. It’s impossible to tell onboard!

All through the week we’ll sharing photos and impressions from our time onboard. We’ll also be happy to take questions about Alaska/British Columbia, as we’re visiting all the major ports (Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau, Icy Strait, Sitka, etc.) and will be hosting a live chat on Cruise Critic Live! on Thursday, at 3 p.m. Eastern.

Wander over there (link: http://live.cruisecritic.com/Event/Cruise_Critic_Live_Cruising_Alaska) to post questions any time before then, and I hope to chat with you live, on the day. We'll archive it so if you can't be part of the live chat, you can read the comments, insights, questions and, of course, answers, at your leisure afterward.

And of course, any questions you have about the lovely Regatta, please fire away here. We’re looking forward to following Pacheco18 (otherwise known as Cruise Critic member Laraine) as well; she’s posting her own insights in the forum, here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2052941.

Carolyn

PS Photo is of the beautifully re-done pool deck. Note the new tiling around the pool, the teak deck is immaculate, and the furnishings are dynamic and comfy. The only thing not quite finished (and by the way, the ship was in fabulous shape when we got there, very little shakedown going on); workers were painting the O logo on the bottom, which is why it wasn't filled with water. It's filled now.

2024906258_pooldeck.jpg.f7528eca3fd11acc7d994b837486bb26.jpg

Hi, travel globetrotter. I'm going to warn you: It wasn't good at the Port of Vancouver. Probably the most chaos I've ever seen -- anywhere -- at check-in (I've cruised probably 200-plus times, so that's saying something). One couple we met in line had arrived at 11:45 a.m., and it took them 2 3/4 hours! I talked to a staffer there, and she told me "this isn't as bad as it can get" and when I said "how bad is that exactly?" she replied" 'I've seen it take five hours'."

A lot of people I met who've cruised out of Vancouver before said they've never seen it like this so maybe something unusual is going on. I've got an inquiry out to official folks to find out what is going on.

Strategically, we arrived at the worst possible time, and it took 2 hours. We arrived around 1:30 p.m., and people were just standing in place (and by the way, part of the reason it's so slow is that you go through US border control before you can even check in for the cruise). Another warning for cruisers from countries other than Canada or the US: International travelers have to go through an even more onerous process of getting cleared.

Other friends of ours who showed up at about 2:45 p.m. didn't wait as long (I think "just" an hour and a half) so maybe the trick is to come late?

Our sail away party (6 pm) and safety drill (5:15 pm) were both delayed as there were still several hundred Oceania passengers waiting to board, but the delay was about a half hour.

We were in port with two much bigger ships, Holland America's Zuiderdam and Princess' Crown Princess, but all of us were funneled through the same traffic jam.

Again, I'm hoping there's an explanation for this and will do my best to find out what it was. So I'll keep you posted.

Carolyn

because we sailed X's Solstice in early May, and it took over 2 hours to check in in mid afternoon. Just one of the reasons we're looking forward to being back on any O ship. Very eager to see the updates on Regatta.

Explanation: clearing US immigration. If they are in a bad mood it takes forever.

Have they ever been in a good mood? This is the holdup at Vancouver cruise terminal and Vancouver airport going into the states. I think a lot of people have no idea you clear US homeland security while in Canada.

We had a terrific Meet and Greet yesterday at Regatta's Horizon Lounge. Many thanks to Pacheco18 (delightful to meet you!) for coordinating. What made it extra special was that we had a guest: Oceania president Kunal Kamlani is onboard to oversee the first post-drydock cruise. He didn't just swing by for a few minutes to say hello -- he stayed the whole time, answering questions, offering insights about Oceania, and perhaps most importantly, asking Cruise Critic members for their own feedback and insights on everything from the refurbishment to future itineraries.

Carolyn

IMG_6392.jpg.420f69197e3e2de58902f487ebe2776c.jpg

We had a terrific Meet and Greet yesterday at Regatta's Horizon Lounge. Many thanks to Pacheco18 (delightful to meet you!) for coordinating. What made it extra special was that we had a guest: Oceania president Kunal Kamlani is onboard to oversee the first post-drydock cruise. He didn't just swing by for a few minutes to say hello -- he stayed the whole time, answering questions, offering insights about Oceania, and perhaps most importantly, asking Cruise Critic members for their own feedback and insights on everything from the refurbishment to future itineraries.

Carolyn

What a wonderful opportunity! Enjoy your voyage; I am very interested in your assessment of the refurbished "R" ships.

The first album, focusing on the newly refurbished suite accommodations, is finally up! They're definitely more beautiful than the photos (you can blame the photographer, LOL).

We're not in one of the suites, we're in an OV, but it's also been redone, and is really pretty. I think the dark cherry wall that frames a pretty blue headboard, great mattress, snowy white sheets with blue trim, and the nautical blue/green/yellow curtains, all make it quite a cozy spot (these are really small cabins, mind you, but we're comfortable). We also got a new loveseat. If we ever tidy up, I'll take a photo of ours.

The ship is full so there aren't many cabins we can get into see -- Oceania actually asked passengers in the suites we saw if we could troop through and take photos. It was pretty nice of the pax to let us!

Oceania has a photographer onboard shooting "official" photos, which undoubtedly will be more beautiful than ours, but they'll take a few weeks to be finished (we'll post them when we get them). But we figured you'd rather not wait until then :D

Future albums will focus on indoor public rooms, outdoor spaces, and restaurants.

Carolyn

PS to find the album, just go to Facebook.com/CruiseCritic or use this link: http://on.fb.me/TA42QP

Carolyn,

Where do I find you on Facebook?

I am boarding regatta on June 27th. Can't wait. Our first Oceania cruise.