Compensation for Riviera Nurovirus Cruise

RJB

Is Oceania offering to do anything for the passengers on Riviera? Seems to me they should offer something for missed ports and all the areas of the ship that are closed. Sounds like they have not even offered anyone a drink. Pretty cheap on their part. Not the cruise that all have paid for. Let's see if Oceania steps up and does the right thing.

Is Oceania offering to do anything for the passengers on Riviera? Seems to me they should offer something for missed ports and all the areas of the ship that are closed. Sounds like they have not even offered anyone a drink. Pretty cheap on their part. Not the cruise that all have paid for. Let's see if Oceania steps up and does the right thing.

You are joking, aren't you??

Those of us on Marina last April/May didn't get any such offer ... then again, we didn't lose any ports. Just our good food! (But we didn't expect anything either. I'm just speaking for DH and myself, not all the passengers.)

Mura

Is Oceania offering to do anything for the passengers on Riviera? Seems to me they should offer something for missed ports and all the areas of the ship that are closed.

What areas are closed on the ship ?

Personal hygiene is very important when living in a community such as a ship. All must take various steps to prevent the spread. Washing hands frequently, using hand sanitizers, avoiding touching one's face near mouth, cleaning hands after holding a menu before eating, especially after using bathroom, etc., etc. We all know that but some folks forget. We have found that even using all the precautions might lead to a case of mummy tummy so to speak. So in addition we make certain to boost our flora with a few weeks of Probiotics and yogurt before the cruise. If you do decide to do that check with your Dr. first. So if there is one weak link on board we are protected as best we can be. There are no guarantees even with all the precautions.

No, I am sure they will offer nothing and you will not get the port chargers for Bermuda back as they do not bill them as a line item. If you were sick try your travel insurance.

for sure they deserve something. not getting the cruise they paid for, port charges will not be paid for by the cruise line so they should go back to passengers. They are included in fare even if not a line item, O should step up and do the right thing. Other cruise lines do it and O should also, Would be great PR

They might deserve it however getting money out of NCLH is just about impossible.

Particularly when the claim to the money is as cockamamie as this is.

Does the Theater give a refund if the patron becomes ill, mid performance?

Do movie theaters?

Do restaurants?

Do Hotels?

RJB is running a spoof up the flagpole, to see who will salute it.

Do movie theaters?

Do restaurants?

Do Hotels?

As far as being sick, well its just hit and miss so no, compensation is not normal or required IMO. However port chargers for a missed port are a different story.

Do movie theaters?

Do restaurants?

Do Hotels?

Your comments might be valid for the fewer than 10% of the passengers who were sick but, what about the over 90% who didn't get what they paid for and the port fees that everyone paid within their fare and are now being kept as additional profit??

And while none of your examples give refunds if one is sick, they ALL give refunds when what is promised and paid for isn't delivered and over 90% of the passengers were NOT sick and were denied things promised and not delivered thru no fault of them!!!

As far as being sick, well its just hit and miss so no, compensation is not normal or required IMO. However port chargers for a missed port are a different story.

They include the Port Charges within the Cruise Fare, so that won't happen, just like you won't get a refund if the "free" shuttles aren't going where you want to go, the "free" restaurants aren't to your taste or the "included" shore excursions are not your cup of tea.

A la carte cruising, this isn't.

On the Riviera and I can tell you that there was nothing offered for the missed port, not even a glass of champagne (aka sparkling wine) for the missed port.

Port charges are not refunded to the passengers.

Since nothing has happened up until now, I suspect nothing will.

It's the O way.

They include the Port Charges within the Cruise Fare, so that won't happen, just like you won't get a refund if the "free" shuttles aren't going where you want to go, the "free" restaurants aren't to your taste or the "included" shore excursions are not your cup of tea.

A la carte cruising, this isn't.

what you say is very true, that's why I said it's just about impossible to get money out of NCLH, its really nifty how they get around the port chargers.

In this world of litigation why do we always think that when we have any sort of a problem that someone owes us...

I guess I don't see how the ship being shut out of a port or a few rooms closed off is in the big picture of life is a big deal..............if anything the people who got sick and caused all this should be the ones responsible..... Have them buy you a drink after all its their sickness that caused it............. Lay blame at the root. .....

On the Riviera and I can tell you that there was nothing offered for the missed port, not even a glass of champagne (aka sparkling wine) for the missed port.

Port charges are not refunded to the passengers.

Since nothing has happened up until now, I suspect nothing will.

It's the O way.

Just because it is then O way does not make it right.

In this world of litigation why do we always think that when we have any sort of a problem that someone owes us...

I guess I don't see how the ship being shut out of a port or a few rooms closed off is in the big picture of life is a big deal..............if anything the people who got sick and caused all this should be the ones responsible..... Have them buy you a drink after all its their sickness that caused it............. Lay blame at the root. .....

For what little it is worth Dan, this was not just a port, it was a two day stay in Bermuda. A number of people booked this cruise because of this feature.

I know, you shouldn't "count" on a port but there were a lot of disappointed people on the ship.

And honestly, you can't blame them. You always look forward to your first port after a TA and instead we were to continue on the slow boat to Nassau.

Nobody is talking about litigation and yes, and while this isn't a big deal, a law suit was filed several years ago and Oceania among other cruise lines based in Florida signed an agreement to refund specifically listed port taxes in order to not to be found guilty in court. The case regarding refunding Port Taxes has been decided in the favor of passengers under the specific condition that the taxes be shown separately on the invoice.

Oceania found a legal way to avoid refunding these taxes even though they were a signatory to the agreement by including the taxes in the fare. These funds are charged the passenger and meant to reimburse the cruise line for legally required taxes paid to government agencies. By retaining these monies Oceania is increasing the bottom line profitability even though a court determined that money specifically collected to pay taxes should be returned to passengers if not paid for the reasons collected with the caveat that the taxes be specifically shown on the invoice.

Other cruise lines have lived up to the spirit of the agreement while Oceania and Regent have found legal ways to retain the money. This is what we are complaining about. Other cruise lines also partially make up for the inconvenience of missed ports with open bar nite and other things.

We really don't know if Oceania chose to miss the port or the port refused entry as another thread linked to a report in the Bermuda newspaper that Oceania skipped the port. If this is true, even more reason to refund the port fees as well as provide good will to the on board passengers.

So it could be a big deal depending on the real reason Bermuda was skipped and doubt any of us will know as Paul Harvey used to say, the rest of the story.

For what little it is worth Dan, this was not just a port, it was a two day stay in Bermuda. A number of people booked this cruise because of this feature.

I know, you shouldn't "count" on a port but there were a lot of disappointed people on the ship.

And honestly, you can't blame them. You always look forward to your first port after a TA and instead we were to continue on the slow boat to Nassau.

I really must agree, I am not on the trip, however if I was a very big reason to take it would of been the overnight in Bermuda. Two days in Nassau is a day and half two many. I would rather of gotten to Miami a day early and had a overnight there, Miami is a nice place for a night out. For them to have a few hours of open bar like the Captains party as a sorry would not place them in chapter 11.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Edited by hypercafe

Here is my feelings:

1. NCLH currently does not owe any of the current passengers anything, other than perhaps the free medical;

2. If the ship does a turnaround in Miami and the virus hits the new passengers on the next cruise, I believe NCHL owes the ENTIRE passenger list a complete refund, plus a voucher for another cruise. Even as a dedicated O cruiser, anything less than that would make me question whether to ever step foot on an O ship again.

O has a problem, they know they have a problem, a half @@s effort/solution to the problem is not acceptable. The next cruise needs to be virus free, or those passenger must be compensated. PERIOD!

Nobody is talking about litigation and yes, and while this isn't a big deal, a law suit was filed several years ago and Oceania among other cruise lines based in Florida signed an agreement to refund specifically listed port taxes in order to not to be found guilty in court. The case regarding refunding Port Taxes has been decided in the favor of passengers under the specific condition that the taxes be shown separately on the invoice.

Oceania found a legal way to avoid refunding these taxes even though they were a signatory to the agreement by including the taxes in the fare. These funds are charged the passenger and meant to reimburse the cruise line for legally required taxes paid to government agencies. By retaining these monies Oceania is increasing the bottom line profitability even though a court determined that money specifically collected to pay taxes should be returned to passengers if not paid for the reasons collected with the caveat that the taxes be specifically shown on the invoice.

Other cruise lines have lived up to the spirit of the agreement while Oceania and Regent have found legal ways to retain the money. This is what we are complaining about. Other cruise lines also partially make up for the inconvenience of missed ports with open bar nite and other things.

We really don't know if Oceania chose to miss the port or the port refused entry as another thread linked to a report in the Bermuda newspaper that Oceania skipped the port. If this is true, even more reason to refund the port fees as well as provide good will to the on board passengers.

So it could be a big deal depending on the real reason Bermuda was skipped and doubt any of us will know as Paul Harvey used to say, the rest of the story.

We don't really know if Oceania found a legal way to avoid paying or they just say they did. Don't know if this was ever litigated in court or not. Could be that someone will try and then we will see if this is really legal.

I really must agree, I am not on the trip, however if I was a very big reason to take it would of been the overnight in Bermuda. Two days in Nassau is a day and half two many. I would rather of gotten to Miami a day early and had a overnight there, Miami is a nice place for a night out. For them to have a few hours of open bar like the Captains party as a sorry would not place them in chapter 11.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

A number of years ago we were on RCCL and it was too rough to tender to their private island. They brought the few tenders that had made it back to the ship and opened the bar for about 3 hours to make up for the missed day. They earned a lot of good will for that. Sure they did not have to but everyone was very happy with the ship.

Do movie theaters?

Do restaurants?

Do Hotels?

Boy, would I like to do business with you. Whatever junk I would ship you would keep and pay for. Pretty good deal for me, but probably not for you.