Taxis in port

Betsypaige

Hi all - thanks so much for all of your help in my previous question. I’m excited to say that I’ve booked a cruise on the POA for May of next year, so now I can get to the fun part : planning the excursions.

This question was asked before, at least within the last year, but I don’t believe it was ever answered. I will need to get from Kahului to Maui Tropical Plantation, where my tour begins. Are there taxis at the port or would I have to call for one once we arrive ?

Thank you !

Betsy

Ship in port= money...don't worry, there will be taxis there. You could also Uber.

LOL good point - and I’m happy about that, thanks ! Ah, I always forget about Uber as I’ve only used it once before and never when I’ve been alone. It’s nice to know that I have options .....

Thanks again!

With all due respect, are you certain that your tour starts at the Plantation? We thought most tours usually came and picked you up at the ship and went from there.

Yes, the Taste of Upcountry tour (by Maui Crafts) starts at the Plantation; I did ask about a pick up/drop off, however they didn't respond to me on that. There's another similar tour given by Maui Country Farm Tours, which might be better for me as I think - not sure - they can pick up/drop off.

I've never taken non-cruise ship excursions; is that typical that tours pick up/drop off?

Thanks!

Yes, the Taste of Upcountry tour (by Maui Crafts) starts at the Plantation; I did ask about a pick up/drop off, however they didn't respond to me on that. There's another similar tour given by Maui Country Farm Tours, which might be better for me as I think - not sure - they can pick up/drop off.

I've never taken non-cruise ship excursions; is that typical that tours pick up/drop off?

Thanks!

We checked out the current Taste of Upcountry tour and, if you are willing to rent a car for the day, you can do the same tour very easily at your own pace at an economical price. We live Upcountry, and can say it is an easy drive on good roads with some spectacular views along the way. Give it a thought.

Whatever private tours you take should be arranged in advance of your arrival, so you may be able to negotiate pick up/drop off then. It isn't a blanket yes or no.

We checked out the current Taste of Upcountry tour and, if you are willing to rent a car for the day, you can do the same tour very easily at your own pace at an economical price. We live Upcountry, and can say it is an easy drive on good roads with some spectacular views along the way. Give it a thought.

Whatever private tours you take should be arranged in advance of your arrival, so you may be able to negotiate pick up/drop off then. It isn't a blanket yes or no.

Hi Silver...

I’ve never rented a car anywhere before, and I’m terrible with directions, so I don’t think those would be a good option for me. I wanted to book my cruise early in part so I could start arranging my excursions - absolutely I want to book certain activities as soon as possible.

I found another Upcountry tour, but the woman who e-mailed me back said they prefer a minimum of two people on their private tours (their normal tour starts at 8:30, too early for me as the cruise gets into port at 8 am). Fortunately, the tour I referenced above starts at 10 am, so if I have to take a taxi, I have plenty of time.

Thank you for your very good advice (even if I don’t think I can seriously consider it) and information !