Are kids allowed in the main pool on NCL Getaway

cruisin'sz

• 2 weeks later...

I have never seen uncontrolled drunkenness on Breakaway, even during a spring break trip. But the main pool is dangerous to children due to the drop off to deep water and the choice to make it a no splash zone for adults.

It is unfortunate, but one of the few serious detractions for NCL's ships is the lack of deck space around the pools, virutally NO chairs by the children's pool, and there is no pool for teenagers as the kids pool is decidedly toddler-ish and teens would not be caught dead there.

So parents have to stand next to the kids pool or get in with their kids. With a 3 year old you'll want them at arm's length to protect against other kids doing something reckless and slamming a leg into them. A 5 year old who can swim can be safer in the kids pool - but please under your constant watch as there is no lifeguard.

How deep is the kids pool? We have an 11 year old that's 5'5" and I like to swim in the pool he does and spend time together as a family. This is our first time on a bigger ship and I'm hoping the family pool is more then just a wading pool or splash pad.

Sorry, when I use the word "swim", I just mean playing, moving about, having fun and being in the water. Although on the Jewel class ships we've been on, there always seems to be a handful of people that do laps everyday and it's perfect for them. Maybe those pools are bigger???

There is definitely a child's pool with some depth on Breakaway which is the same design as Getaway, but I never got in it so I know it's more than toddler deep, maybe 3-4 feet. The children's area has the pool in the middle, splash area on the port side, and small slide landing area on the starboard side.