Should I give up on snorkeling in Kona...

Betsypaige

since either the POA excursions or other tours go to Kealakekua Bay? I don’t want to support any outfit that is knowingly harming the dolphins? I’ve read that the snorkeling is great in Kona, so I wonder if anyone can suggest other options? We arrive in port at 7 am

Thanks !

?????

What are you saying or asking?;)

I'm saying..... I did not mean to put a question mark there, lol.

What I'm saying is that I don't want to go snorkeling with outfits that are going to harm the dolphins, so I wonder if there are other options aside from those companies that go to Kealakekua Bay. If there are none, maybe I'll just sign up for Marylou's Kona tour.......I'm already doing her Hilo tour

I have snorkeled off Kona, including in Kealakekua Bay, multiple times and never with dolphins (I wouldn't want to do the latter anyway). Just avoid any vendor who says they include snorkeling with dolphins. Here's a website with more info: https://www.hawaiinautical.com/no--swim-with-dolphins-.html.

Captain Zodiac's website doesn't specifically state that they allow snorkeling with the dolphins, but it seems they do. I'm a bit limited because I really want a company that uses zodiacs (I LOVE fast boats) , and I also need a departure point that is not far from where POA docks. I'll continue to research - fortunately I have loads of time.

Thanks!

Fair Winds is a good company to do snorkeling at Kealakekua Bay. I have done them from cruises into Kona for many years.

You will need to take a taxi to them from the pier at Kona. and yes, the ships drop anchor and tender in at Kona.

Chuck:D

Fair Winds is a good company to do snorkeling at Kealakekua Bay. I have done them from cruises into Kona for many years.

You will need to take a taxi to them from the pier at Kona. and yes, the ships drop anchor and tender in at Kona.

Chuck:D

Yes, they get great reviews - but they use catamarans, If I can’t find any tours with zodiacs, I will consider them - of course, as long as they are within reasonable taxi distance.

Thank you!

We used Kona Ocean Adventures for a private snorkel for my party of 8. We did snorkel with the dolphins, if you want to call if that. In the am the dolphins are headed back towards the island after feeding during the night, so they were very chill.

We were given instructions on how to behave in the water as they approached, & our captain got us into position so that we basically stayed still and they came to us and by us.

They were curious and circled us a bit. It was fascinating seeing them so close and hearing all the clicks and whistles as they talked to each other. No one touched them or approached them, we just simply stayed put and let them swim where they wanted. There was no harming of the dolphins, or influencing where they swam. It was a beautiful experience.

After they had checked us out & moved on, we hopped back in the boat to go snorkel by the Captain Cook monument then had lunch on the boat.

Fabulous day with a very professional crew. Highly recommend them.

We used Kona Ocean Adventures for a private snorkel for my party of 8. We did snorkel with the dolphins, if you want to call if that. In the am the dolphins are headed back towards the island after feeding during the night, so they were very chill.

We were given instructions on how to behave in the water as they approached, & our captain got us into position so that we basically stayed still and they came to us and by us.

They were curious and circled us a bit. It was fascinating seeing them so close and hearing all the clicks and whistles as they talked to each other. No one touched them or approached them, we just simply stayed put and let them swim where they wanted. There was no harming of the dolphins, or influencing where they swam. It was a beautiful experience.

After they had checked us out & moved on, we hopped back in the boat to go snorkel by the Captain Cook monument then had lunch on the boat.

Fabulous day with a very professional crew. Highly recommend them.

I checked out their website - for the Captain Cook/Kealakekua and Dolphin/snorkel tours; they sound fantastic - and eco-friendly. Are they fast boats?

Thank you!

I checked out their website - for the Captain Cook/Kealakekua and Dolphin/snorkel tours; they sound fantastic - and eco-friendly. Are they fast boats?

Thank you![/quote

It wasn’t a speed boat, but it was fast. We were on the grey boat with the octopus legs shown on their website. Great boat. Had shade area for those who wanted it, plenty of cushioned seating (8 of us & we had plenty of room), a marine head (toilet), and a fresh water shower hose to rinse off the salt water when we were done.

Everyone that we toured with in Hawaii (we never do cruise sponsored tours, instead prefer private tours with locals) was very concerned with the environment and not “leaving a footprint”.

They provided drinks & lunch, and excellent history and facts as we cruised along the coast.

One crewmen was in the water with us at all times, we were taught signals to show ok or need help, and the Captain kept watch from the boat.

Another option is to hire Bo Pardeau, an underwater photographer (his info on their website) to accompany us. He got some incredible shots of us in/under the water and with the dolphins. Put my little underwater camera to shame. The photos of the fish are as beautiful and clear as what you see as advertising online.

It was an incredible day. Now we want to go back to night snorkel with the manta rays- NCL doesn’t overnight in Kona darnit. Lol

Thank you![/quote

It wasn’t a speed boat, but it was fast. We were on the grey boat with the octopus legs shown on their website. Great boat. Had shade area for those who wanted it, plenty of cushioned seating (8 of us & we had plenty of room), a marine head (toilet), and a fresh water shower hose to rinse off the salt water when we were done.

Everyone that we toured with in Hawaii (we never do cruise sponsored tours, instead prefer private tours with locals) was very concerned with the environment and not “leaving a footprint”.

They provided drinks & lunch, and excellent history and facts as we cruised along the coast.

One crewmen was in the water with us at all times, we were taught signals to show ok or need help, and the Captain kept watch from the boat.

Another option is to hire Bo Pardeau, an underwater photographer (his info on their website) to accompany us. He got some incredible shots of us in/under the water and with the dolphins. Put my little underwater camera to shame. The photos of the fish are as beautiful and clear as what you see as advertising online.

It was an incredible day. Now we want to go back to night snorkel with the manta rays- NCL doesn’t overnight in Kona darnit. Lol

Oh, that sounds amazing! I really love and need a fast boat, lol

I second the recommendation for Kona Ocean Adventures! Best day I have ever had on a cruise was with them in 2014. So happy we will be joining them again this September! I wrote a review on Trip Advisor, check it out!

Oh great - thanks for sharing (and have a great time in September)! I will go check it out - yay, I'm so excited!!

• 4 months later...