Excursion (dog sledding) was just cancelled....

SalsaFresca

what can we do in Juneau? We are already going kayaking and fishing elsewhere. We wanted to sub with the Mendenhall Glacier trek, but my small 8-year-old is not heavy enough (?) for the trip (minimum 90 pounds), and it looks too strenuous for him.

We’ll have two fit adults, one child. Prefer not to whale watch because I get seasick (ironically).

Any suggestions for an active excursion in Juneau?

How are you and your child at hiking? Last time we were in Juneau we climbed up Mount Roberts. That took us a couple of hours. When you get to the top there is a gift shop and bathrooms and you can watch a film about the Tlingkits (very interesting). I think there are additional hiking trails up there as well. You can hike back down or take the tram for $10 per person. Or spend $10 per person in the gift shop and ride down for "free" with your receipt.

When my husband and I were in Juneau on our first AK cruise together (2007) we took one of the shuttles to Mendenhall Glacier, did some light hiking, went to the visitor's center, and had the pleasure of seeing bears eating salmon just under one of the boardwalk areas! (off of Steep Creek trail, now that I look at the map to refresh my memory ;-)

We might do the same again during our Juneau stop on our cruise in a couple weeks:hearteyes:

The hiking at the top of the Mt. Roberts tram is one of our family’s favorite things. You can easily spend several hours. The trail goes on for a few miles in the alpine. There are plenty of wildflowers up there right now. Also a chance you will see bears down in the meadows below. It’s even fun on a cloudy day, when the dog races right past you.

Which dog sledding excursion? If the glacier one was cancelled, maybe you could do the dirt one. We really enjoyed petting the puppies so much that we want to do it again!

If it’s the dirt one, that will factor into my plans next year!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been searching for an aternative and it seems everyone has shut down that excursion for the season. Trying to decide what we should do instead as well, I think we are just going to take the helicopter to the glacier. Although the short hike to Nugget Falls looks beautiful!! Decisions ........

Rebecca

Our helicopter glacier dog sled trip ( from Juneau ) is still on, have not received any cancellation email yet. It is on Norris Glacier ( by Northstar Trekking ). I called Northstar today and they told me their dog sled camp is still going on, though snow is definitely melting fast. You might want to check with them to see if they can fit you in.