The Shadow

notjaded

We sailed on the Shadow 6/28 to 7/5. Not much to compare it to as this was my first cruise ever. But we were thoroughly impressed by all aspect of our experience.

Our terrace suite was roomy and comfortable - we didn't miss having a private balcony. Some might consider the ship's decor a little dated, but we loved the deco touches and general warmth. The cruise was sold out, yet the public spaces were never crowded and frequently almost empty. There was no evidence of excessive wear and tear as has been mentioned in earlier posts.

Staff and service were exceptional (save for the pool grill, which could use a fix).Very friendly - made us feel at home. Our favorite bartender even shared with us the unique system they have for memorizing guests' names. Interesting!

Breakfast and lunch buffets were ideal and cuisine in restaurants was generally superb. Only glaring issue was the sub-par quality of the steaks and chops. I get better meat at Publix.

Getting on and off the ship for excursions was a breeze, and debarkation in Vancouver was seamless. From the time our color was called, it took literally 15 minutes to get our rental car and head out.

My wife and I fell in love with the Shadow and the Silversea experience and have already booked on the Spirit in the Med for next October.

I too was sworn to secrecy. My suggestion is to get on a first-name basis with your favorite servers and bartenders. After two days, I became "Sir John" and my wife was "Miss Sue" which spread among several venues and was a really nice touch.

I too was sworn to secrecy. My suggestion is to get on a first-name basis with your favorite servers and bartenders. After two days, I became "Sir John" and my wife was "Miss Sue" which spread among several venues and was a really nice touch.

I understand why crew are instructed that they may not address guests by their given names. But I wince every time I am addressed with the honorific "Sir." I suppose it's better than being addressed as Mr/Ms [add surname]. I decline to be addressed by my surname and I have learned to accept Sir. I can't imagine that legitimate Knights traveling on Silversea are pleased to see that the honorific has been assigned to hoi polloi like me.

A decade ago, on our Shadow 15 days Panama Canal crossing, within a few days, the crew had already learnt all the passengers' names. The usual address is "Mr and Mrs Meow!"

On our kitchen tour, we found a list of passengers with names and pictures. Apparently, they studied it!

We sailed on the Shadow 6/28 to 7/5. Not much to compare it to as this was my first cruise ever. But we were thoroughly impressed by all aspect of our experience.

Our terrace suite was roomy and comfortable - we didn't miss having a private balcony. Some might consider the ship's decor a little dated, but we loved the deco touches and general warmth. The cruise was sold out, yet the public spaces were never crowded and frequently almost empty. There was no evidence of excessive wear and tear as has been mentioned in earlier posts.

Staff and service were exceptional (save for the pool grill, which could use a fix).Very friendly - made us feel at home. Our favorite bartender even shared with us the unique system they have for memorizing guests' names. Interesting!

Breakfast and lunch buffets were ideal and cuisine in restaurants was generally superb. Only glaring issue was the sub-par quality of the steaks and chops. I get better meat at Publix.

Getting on and off the ship for excursions was a breeze, and debarkation in Vancouver was seamless. From the time our color was called, it took literally 15 minutes to get our rental car and head out.

My wife and I fell in love with the Shadow and the Silversea experience and have already booked on the Spirit in the Med for next October.

Many thanks for your kind review. Was the pool grill issue systemic or confined to a particular server?

• 2 weeks later...

Given old menu at lunch, ordered items that were no longer available. New menu delivered and dropped on table. Starter chips and salsa arrived at same time of main dish. Four different waiters at dinner. Hot rock not hot enough to cook steak Still raw after 10 minutes. New stone no better.

Given old menu at lunch, ordered items that were no longer available. New menu delivered and dropped on table. Starter chips and salsa arrived at same time of main dish. Four different waiters at dinner. Hot rock not hot enough to cook steak Still raw after 10 minutes. New stone no better.
That's troubling.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It did not detract from our overall enjoyment of the cruise.
I am happy to hear that but for the money that you pay you should not have experienced any of that and it's still troubling to me but it gives me something to look out for when we go in there for the first time next spring

I am very, very fond of The Shadow. I sailed on her over the Christmas/New Years holidays from Auckland to Sydney, and again on a b2b in the late spring to SE Asia. She looks wonderful, the crew was, as always, fabulous. I thought the food and included wines were particularly good. From SE Asia I wrote up a “Live from The Shadow” giving a lot of details...mostly about the itinerary, but if you feel like taking the time, you might click on my made up name and hit the search button for these posts.

I’d also be glad to answer any specific questions you might have. The only caveat is that I am a long time fan of Silversea and am known as an unabashed cheerleader. But I do promise to be honest and candid.

We just get the chef to cook the meat for us (usually come out perfect) and use the rock for heating up the vegetables. That really saves on the splatter factor too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great idea!

I am very, very fond of The Shadow. I sailed on her over the Christmas/New Years holidays from Auckland to Sydney, and again on a b2b in the late spring to SE Asia. She looks wonderful, the crew was, as always, fabulous. I thought the food and included wines were particularly good. From SE Asia I wrote up a “Live from The Shadow” giving a lot of details...mostly about the itinerary, but if you feel like taking the time, you might click on my made up name and hit the search button for these posts.

I’d also be glad to answer any specific questions you might have. The only caveat is that I am a long time fan of Silversea and am known as an unabashed cheerleader. But I do promise to be honest and candid.

I appreciate the info what I find a little concerning is that several constructive criticisms on the shadow recently complained about temperatures in the state rooms however when I brought this up to Silver Seas they told me that they see no formal official records or complaints in recent months on the temperature of the cabins I find this quite perplexing given the reviews that I have read recently

I haven’t experienced any trouble with cabin temperatures. This would have been a huge problem for me and I sure would have both reported and remembered it. My husband was very funny (and vocal) about how the Theaters on all the SS ships were so cold that they should have been renamed The Polar Bear Clubs. Nothing that a sweater couldn’t fix...so I always brought one for him. And laughed at his complaining. Eventually he could laugh at himself.

I haven’t experienced any trouble with cabin temperatures. This would have been a huge problem for me and I sure would have both reported and remembered it. My husband was very funny (and vocal) about how the Theaters on all the SS ships were so cold that they should have been renamed The Polar Bear Clubs. Nothing that a sweater couldn’t fix...so I always brought one for him. And laughed at his complaining. Eventually he could laugh at himself.
Well that's promising thanks.

Thanks for the referral to your other thread. I read with interest, and glad you not only had a good time, but that the ship and its crew were in good shape!