Allen Marine excursion differences

gambit57

So I see I have an option of two Allen Marine excursions for my upcoming cruise.

One is called a Whale Watching and Wildlife Quest (4 hrs). The other is the Mendenhall + Whale Watching excursion (5.5 hrs).

Anyone know what the difference is? I mean, I know you get to visit Mendenhall Glacier and get a Whale watching tour on one, but what's the other one entail? I didn't quite get the picture from their description. Is the whale watching part shorter on the Mendenhall one vs the Wildlife Quest?

My key goals are to see humpback whales (hopefully breaching or otherwise active) and bald eagles. Orcas would be amazing, but I understand Juneau may not be the best place for them. I could care less about sea lions. I visit San Francisco all the time so they're quite common to see for me.

Looks like they are identical in terms of the whalewatch; Mendenhall adds an hour at the glacier on top. Direct from their website, descriptions of both tours: 1 and 2

You'll see whales on both, or be the first group to cash in the $100 refund ever, and bald eagles are like pigeons elsewhere - the only way you won't see tons of them all over on your cruise is if you poke your eyes out or wear a blindfold...

Breaching whales, bubble-netting, or eagles actually grabbing fish rather than sitting around/flying past are all 'you might get lucky, but do not expect it or you will only be disappointed' behaviours.

While I have taken and enjoyed Major Marine excursions, if you want to see the whales without being blocked by hordes of other travelers on their boat, I would opt for one of the small boat operators like Harv & Marv.

I did the Whale Watching and Wildlife Quest a couple weeks ago. We were grouped with passengers who were also on the tour that included the Mendenhall Glacier who headed there after departure. I had read other reports that those tours might be rushed, but that was not our experience. In fact, the excursion went slightly over our time because there was quite a bit of whale activity. I was completely pleased with our trip, we were very close to many whales. It was one of my favorite excursions ever!

Our kind driver even stopped at the parking area on the highway for a few moments so we could take pictures of the Mendenhall Glacier.

Saw lots of eagles on the way in that morning (left side of road near water) at low tide. If you’re on a bus heading to the whale watch or glacier, sit on the left side and keep looking to the left. :)

Edited by syesmar

We did the 5.5 hour excursion in early July. I was very impressed with Allen Marine (we did one of their excursions in Ketchikan too). We saw lots of whales, and then took a bus ride over to the glacier, where we had about an hour. Wish it was a bit more time (the weather was great) - we walked on an easy trail to see a waterfall.

Had no complaints with Allen marine at all and used them in Juneau and Ketchikan. Their tour was great. We did the best of Juneau which also included a lunch stop at orca point lodge. Mendenhall was a little short on time but worked out since the trail to nugget falls was flooded. We saw whales but nothing like breaches or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums