alaska ports on your own/on a budget: how we did juneau (video)

elbodans

For those of you who enjoyed my Ketchikan tips, here's our day on our own and on a budget in Juneau. It was our second visit to Juneau, and we rented a car. Hope this is helpful!

http://www.suitcasescholar.com/2018/08/12/alaska-cruise-ports-on-your-own-and-on-a-budget-juneau/

I'll post the rest of the video posts when I can, but I'm not sure when that will be as I'm going back to work this week and these take a while.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to help! Happy sailing!

Renting a car in Juneau is definitely the easiest and cheapest way to get around - this way you can do a lot more our city has to offer than the ShoreEx's provide. (ie - Sandy Beach, Last Chance Mining Musuem, Alaskan Brewery, whale watching from Lena Point, etc).

Only a few will rent downtown, the others may make you go all the way out to the airport (which you can hop the Express Bus from the federal building (the largest "skycraper" in Juneau) or from the State Archives (beside the Goldbelt/Four Points hotel) for $2.

Nice day. We did Juneau on our own as well...renting a car. We also went to Mendenhall and hiked the Nugget Falls Trail...but we didn't pay to hike that trail as it wasn't listed as a fee trail when we went in June. Did you double check to see which trails required fees because not all of them do...?

Nice day. We did Juneau on our own as well...renting a car. We also went to Mendenhall and hiked the Nugget Falls Trail...but we didn't pay to hike that trail as it wasn't listed as a fee trail when we went in June. Did you double check to see which trails required fees because not all of them do...?

Yes. I'm annoyingly thorough when it comes to making sure I'm following rules. ;-) The trail was marked as a fee area (as were the restrooms, and I was planning on using those.) Honestly, I'm not complaining. I'm happy to pay $5 for upkeep of natural areas.

Yes. I'm annoyingly thorough when it comes to making sure I'm following rules. ;-) The trail was marked as a fee area (as were the restrooms, and I was planning on using those.) Honestly, I'm not complaining. I'm happy to pay $5 for upkeep of natural areas.

Ok...this is new information and contradictory to the website. IDK how well they keep the website updated and as I plan to return to Alaska...I'm keeping up to date on the situation. When we were there, Nugget Falls was a free trail but restroom use would require paying the day use fee. Good to know that the website is out of date and has faulty info.

The signs were pretty clear when we were there though so I'm wondering if you also saw the fee required sign for Nugget Falls? The Photo Trail sign indicated that it was a fee trail but the Nugget Falls trail sign didn't in June.

I don't mean to nit pick...just trying to keep the info here accurate.

there is a small kiosk by the pavillion adjacent to the parking lot, if you need to buy one.

Here is a link to the map which highlights the "pass zone"

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_MEDIA/fseprd502164.jpg

Yes...this indicates that Nugget Falls is free...which was why I was questioning the information...