Lanai snorkeling - POA Excursion

Betsypaige

So for our second day in Mau, the cruise is offering this excursion. It's a long, long day since first there is the drive to Lahaina, and then it takes a couple of hours to the snorkeling location (not sure where, but....what do you guys think? I was seriously considering a beach day because my first day in Maui will be long - Upcountry/Haleakala sunset., and I still think that's probably a wise choice, but this sounds so appealing.

Crossing the Auau Channel on an ultra-modern, luxury catamaran, you'll have plenty of room to relax or roam around with its spacious galley, sun deck and trampoline areas while you experience the essence of aloha that the staff and the Hawaiian surroundings exude.

Lanai's coast, largely undeveloped, feels unspoiled and remote even though it's just seven miles from Maui. Its warm, clear waters boast world-class snorkeling and vibrant reefs teeming with marine wildlife. Lanai is also famous for its large populations of wild dolphins (spinner, bottlenose and spotted), plus toothed whales, sea turtles and an occasional Hawaiian monk seal.

On the trip over, you'll be treated to a continental breakfast of fresh island fruit, bagels and cream cheese, apple danishes, coffee, tea and juices. When it's time to snorkel, you will be outfitted with quality snorkeling gear and an expert naturalist will help you perfect your snorkeling skills and give you a brief lesson so you can identify the fish you see.

Arriving at your snorkeling location, you'll enjoy a leisurely snorkel. If you choose, you may also take part in a guided reef tour, led by the naturalist. Following your time in the water, you'll come back aboard the catamaran for a delicious barbecue lunch.

Afterwards, sit back and relax as you cruise along the Lanai shoreline and then head back out to the Auau Channel to ride Maui's trade winds on an exhilarating sail back to Lahaina Harbor.

I guess if they sail rather than motor, it might be 2 hours travel. But it will be great sailing. The possibility of selling those animals is very real in that area. Monk seals frequent the area. I have snorkeled several places on Lanai...the snorkeling is great...lots of fish. Last time we were there (in March) the air and water temp were the same- 83 degrees.

I guess if they sail rather than motor, it might be 2 hours travel. But it will be great sailing. The possibility of selling those animals is very real in that area. Monk seals frequent the area. I have snorkeled several places on Lanai...the snorkeling is great...lots of fish. Last time we were there (in March) the air and water temp were the same- 83 degrees.

Thanks, Bruce! It sounds absolutely perfect - I'm already in heaven thinking about seeing such beautiful animals, having the chance to do a tour of the reef, etc.. It sounds like paradise.........

Thanks, Bruce! It sounds absolutely perfect - I'm already in heaven thinking about seeing such beautiful animals, having the chance to do a tour of the reef, etc.. It sounds like paradise.........

If this trip is done through trilogy, it’s fantastic! They are my favorite snorkel company on the island! They will motor for the most part and try sailing back for a portion of it if the wind is there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If this trip is done through trilogy, it’s fantastic! They are my favorite snorkel company on the island! They will motor for the most part and try sailing back for a portion of it if the wind is there!

I posted this on TripAdvisor, and someone who's been helping me thinks it's probably done through Pacific Whale Foundation, which apparently is problematic.

I think I may stick to the beach day because the Lanai excursion would be a hugely long day on top of the previous very long day. that is, if NCL offers the Maui beach day; thus far (and it's obviously extremely early), it's not yet listed among their offered excursions.

Thank you!

I posted this on TripAdvisor, and someone who's been helping me thinks it's probably done through Pacific Whale Foundation, which apparently is problematic.

I think I may stick to the beach day because the Lanai excursion would be a hugely long day on top of the previous very long day. that is, if NCL offers the Maui beach day; thus far (and it's obviously extremely early), it's not yet listed among their offered excursions.

Thank you!

If you want a great experience, I would look into trilogy! I visit Maui like 2x a year and go out with them multiple times. Small groups, great service!

If you want a great experience, I would look into trilogy! I visit Maui like 2x a year and go out with them multiple times. Small groups, great service!

I’ve heard wonderful things about Trilogy, but the POA docks in Kahului, so that would be about a 45 minute drive to Lahaina, where Trilogy is based - that doesn’t work for me.

Thanks !

I’ve heard wonderful things about Trilogy, but the POA docks in Kahului, so that would be about a 45 minute drive to Lahaina, where Trilogy is based - that doesn’t work for me.

Thanks !

Their molokini trip leaves from ma’alaea harbor :)

Their molokini trip leaves from ma’alaea harbor :)

Oh it does? I didn’t know that - and it appears that it’s only about a 15 minute cab ride from Kahului. The only thing is, I’ve read that snorkeling at Molokini isn’t that good...

Thanks for the info - I’ll definitely consider it !

As I mentioned before, snorkeling at Molikini is medium...not great, not bad.

You m ay be wasting a lot of effort worrying about Molikini snorkeling. I am not sure when you are going, but as a hurricane is going to get very close to Maui and the rest of the islands, the dynamic of snorkeling there may change totally- maybe for good, maybe for worse. Just as it does from time to time in the Caribbean. Hopefully the providers can make the required adjustments.

As I mentioned before, snorkeling at Molikini is medium...not great, not bad.

You m ay be wasting a lot of effort worrying about Molikini snorkeling. I am not sure when you are going, but as a hurricane is going to get very close to Maui and the rest of the islands, the dynamic of snorkeling there may change totally- maybe for good, maybe for worse. Just as it does from time to time in the Caribbean. Hopefully the providers can make the required adjustments.

Hi Bruce

I'm not going until May of next year..........but, that's a great point about the affects of the hurricane; I hadn't thought about it.

I guess it comes off like I'm worrying, but really I'm just all over the place in my excitement, lol. One day I feel one way, another day - another.

NCL does offer an excursion called Catch a Wave and Lahaina On Your Own, where you get a surfing lesson and then get a chance to explore Lahaina. Now, that sounds like fun....even though I'll suck at surfing, lol