Christmas cruise

katrinka34

I am assuming it's the traditional Norwegian route (and that's what my answer is based on).

My first trip with Hurtigruten in Norway was in end April, and the second one was for Christmas. I expected full darkness above the Arctic Circle and was very (positively) surprised by the reality. The sun does not rise above the horizon but is not really far below, so there is actually some light. There is a very long sunrise (about 2 hours), a couple of hours of almost daylight, and a very long sunset. Of course there is still plenty of darkness so that does limit the sightseeing, but the light and colors during that period of light are absolutely beautiful, they reflect on the snow on the mountains and it can be just breathtaking. This is where and when I fell in love with Norway, and since then I've mostly been back in winter. The lights are like nothing I've seen.

Of course the longer hours of darkness increase the chances for Northern Lights also, so added bonus. On the other hand, if the weather is cloudy the days are a lot darker and gloomy.

I think it's a great period to go if you manage your expectations. Christmas on board is actyally a fun time. The ships used to stop for 24 hours on Christmas day and I think they do not do that anymore, but the schedule is twisted a bit and there may be the opportunity to attend a Christmas service (we attended it in Trondheim Cathedral, which was very special even to non-believers). Christmas dinner on board is quite something. I would included New Years Eve in the trip.

I am assuming it's the traditional Norwegian route (and that's what my answer is based on).

My first trip with Hurtigruten in Norway was in end April, and the second one was for Christmas. I expected full darkness above the Arctic Circle and was very (positively) surprised by the reality. The sun does not rise above the horizon but is not really far below, so there is actually some light. There is a very long sunrise (about 2 hours), a couple of hours of almost daylight, and a very long sunset. Of course there is still plenty of darkness so that does limit the sightseeing, but the light and colors during that period of light are absolutely beautiful, they reflect on the snow on the mountains and it can be just breathtaking. This is where and when I fell in love with Norway, and since then I've mostly been back in winter. The lights are like nothing I've seen.

Of course the longer hours of darkness increase the chances for Northern Lights also, so added bonus. On the other hand, if the weather is cloudy the days are a lot darker and gloomy.

I think it's a great period to go if you manage your expectations. Christmas on board is actyally a fun time. The ships used to stop for 24 hours on Christmas day and I think they do not do that anymore, but the schedule is twisted a bit and there may be the opportunity to attend a Christmas service (we attended it in Trondheim Cathedral, which was very special even to non-believers). Christmas dinner on board is quite something. I would included New Years Eve in the trip.

Thank you so much for that description of mid-winter light. It sounds amazing and magical.

We were thinking more of returning in summer, but this sounds *much* more interesting. And I like the idea of a Christmas & New Year's cruise. We've done two of those relatively recently, but... both in the Caribbean, so quite different from what you describe, to put it mildly1

Now we just need a time/year to squeeze it in!

Too many plans, too little time :)

Thanks again!

GC

There are pictures on my blog if you are interested (starting here : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com/2010/12/alesund-molde.html ). The text is in French only but the pictures are the most important!

During that trip, I met a couple of Australian from Queensland, who were doing this trip for the first time because they wanted to experience the real white Scandinavian Christmas. It was supposed to be a once-in-a-lifetime trip. They enjoyed it so much that they have been returning since every couple of years! :)

There are pictures on my blog if you are interested (starting here : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com/2010/12/alesund-molde.html ). The text is in French only but the pictures are the most important!

During that trip, I met a couple of Australian from Queensland, who were doing this trip for the first time because they wanted to experience the real white Scandinavian Christmas. It was supposed to be a once-in-a-lifetime trip. They enjoyed it so much that they have been returning since every couple of years! :)

Thanks once again!

(By the way, Google "translate" does a great job translating your writing to English when needed :))

The photos you linked to show some actual "daylight". I assume this is because of the latitude, and further north wouldn't have that. But my question is... is that remarkable light when it is *not* "daylight... is that the same further north, just never turning into daylight?

It's breathtakingly beautiful!

Do you only sail on their Lofoten? If not, what other ships of theirs do you prefer?

(You should get commissions from Hurtigruten :D)

Thanks!

GC

The photos you linked to show some actual "daylight". I assume this is because of the latitude, and further north wouldn't have that. But my question is... is that remarkable light when it is *not* "daylight... is that the same further north, just never turning into daylight?

From above the Arctic Circle we never saw the sun, which stayed below the horizon. So that is what "polar night" looks like in Northern Norway. I was actually surprised it was so light, but bear in mind the sun does not actually rise. Indeed if you keep on going further North (say, Svalbard) there is real 24 hours darkness in winter. It's real darkness, not the sunset/sunrise lights, just night.

If you like at the time and date for sunset/sunrise it's easy to see. Here it is for Tromso in December : https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/norway/tromso?month=12&year=2018

You see the sun is down, but there is "Civil Twilight" between roughly 9am and 2 pm, that is about the time when you have these lights and colors. From the human eyes perspective, it's difficult to tell the difference between Nautical Twilight (you supposedly can distinguish land from sky), Astronomical twilight and real darkness.

In Longyearbyen for the same month : https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/norway/longyearbyen?month=12&year=2018

No civil twilight at all. Maybe trained eyes could see the difference when it's Nautical Twilight, but there is no sun appearance.

Do you only sail on their Lofoten? If not, what other ships of theirs do you prefer?

I have sailed on many ships, Lofoten is my favorite but, on a completely different note, I also very much enjoyed Finnmarken. She's big, but not "bling" as Midnatsol/Trollfjord, great art deco design inside, plenty of space, and I really really enjoyed the open bow which was great for NL watching. This is a ship I would recommend to anyone for a winter cruise (but you've been on Midnatsol, right? And enjoyed it?).

The Christmas trip was onboard MS Polarlys, which was great, but she's been refurbished since with the "modern Scandinavian" design that does not appeal to me at all (but many people enjoy it).

(You should get commissions from Hurtigruten :D)

I know, right? ;p

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for all this info! I'll be on the Trollfjord for their Christmas cruise this year.

Enjoy you cruise. I’ll follow few weeks later. After my Kong Harald midnight sun cruise last year I’m looking forward to the Trollfjord Polar Night cruise and the Northern Light.

However I have previously travelled during winter in both Iceland, and North Norway and Finland.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Enjoy you cruise. I’ll follow few weeks later. After my Kong Harald midnight sun cruise last year I’m looking forward to the Trollfjord Polar Night cruise and the Northern Light.

However I have previously travelled during winter in both Iceland, and North Norway and Finland.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, I'm really looking forward to Northern Lights. Travelled to Iceland in winter and didn't see any! Just got back from Alaska and no Northern Lights either. Hope this Norway trip makes up for it!!

Yes, I'm really looking forward to Northern Lights. Travelled to Iceland in winter and didn't see any! Just got back from Alaska and no Northern Lights either. Hope this Norway trip makes up for it!!

There are several websites that show solar activity and predictions for Northern Lights.

If you don't have an Astronomer on board to monitor, then you can do it yourself, at least in a general way. That might give you a hint of which night(s) to stay up late, for be ready to spring out of bed and get on deck pretty fast if there is an announcement.

We found the weather could change quickly, with squalls (which could have serious snow briefly) passing quickly, and the sky clearing again.

Enjoy the Trollfjord. We'll be with you in spirit :)

GC