T Mobile One Experience on QM2

lhsail

We recently switched to T Mobile and have the One plan. My information indicates we should be able to receive text messages on the QM2 free of charge. We were supposed to be able to get text messages when on cruises for a minor charge when we were with Verizon, but they didn't always come through. We always turn off data roaming. Anyone have experience with receiving text messages with T Mobile? We will both purchase some internet time, but it's a comfort to know family members can get in touch via text should there be an emergency.

T-Mobile has excellent text services WHILE YOU ARE IN MOST PORTS AROUND THE WORLD.... and its free + unlimited. Its my experience that while at sea, you'd pay a LOT for text messages, even with T-Mobile.

T-Mobile has excellent text services WHILE YOU ARE IN MOST PORTS AROUND THE WORLD.... and its free + unlimited. Its my experience that while at sea, you'd pay a LOT for text messages, even with T-Mobile.

Thank you for the info. Their website lets you input the ship you are going to be on and shows free incoming text message and 50 cents to send on the QM2. Guess I better verify with customer service and take a screen shot of the website.

We've sent and received short texts on QM2 (Happy New Year, things like that) with good results as one would expect. 50 cents to send, free to receive sounds about right. I have a lot of services that text me reminders, weekly specials, etc and they arrive without an additional bill.

Bear in mind that T-Mobile does not provide data service via the ship's cellular network at any price (probably a good thing, given TMo's rates for voice calls: $6/minute). In practically any port you should be able to receive a cellular data signal, although in some ports like the Caribbean the speed isn't necessarily very high. But even if you connect to the ship's cellular network to send and receive texts you won't have to worry about data charges, since there won't be any data (unless you log into the WiFi network, which is a different topic).

The one downside to connecting to the cellular network for texting is that any calls that make the phone ring will incur a charge for the first minute (forwarding to voicemail might incur another minute's charge). And if you text at 10 AM and then someone calls your phone at 2 PM after you've disconnected from the ship ThMobile might still have you "registered" as being on the ship and charges may occur (I have some experience with Spam calls in the islands and yes, there was a 20 cent charge even if I didn't answer).

Edited by Underwatr

We've sent and received short texts on QM2 (Happy New Year, things like that) with good results as one would expect. 50 cents to send, free to receive sounds about right. I have a lot of services that text me reminders, weekly specials, etc and they arrive without an additional bill.

Bear in mind that T-Mobile does not provide data service via the ship's cellular network at any price (probably a good thing, given TMo's rates for voice calls: $6/minute). In practically any port you should be able to receive a cellular data signal, although in some ports like the Caribbean the speed isn't necessarily very high. But even if you connect to the ship's cellular network to send and receive texts you won't have to worry about data charges, since there won't be any data (unless you log into the WiFi network, which is a different topic).

The one downside to connecting to the cellular network for texting is that any calls that make the phone ring will incur a charge for the first minute (forwarding to voicemail might incur another minute's charge). And if you text at 10 AM and then someone calls your phone at 2 PM after you've disconnected from the ship ThMobile might still have you "registered" as being on the ship and charges may occur (I have some experience with Spam calls in the islands and yes, there was a 20 cent charge even if I didn't answer).

Appreciate all the good information. Will have to think this through. With Verizon we did not get charged if we didn't answer the call.

We've had T-Mobile for 2-3 years now and the service has been fine world-wide regarding data, texting and such. However, we learned to just put the phones in airplane mode during sea days (we we're getting all sorts of incoming "bings" in the middle of the night) and then turn the airplane mode off while in port(s). At least on HAL you really could not reply to texts at sea without paying to use the ship's services.

We pay $60 USD/month for #2 cell phones (we have the over age 60 program, or whatever it is) that includes the unlimited calling, texting & whatever else (sorry we're not to tech savvy).

I'd certainly talk with your T-Mobile rep but I can also tell you to talk with a supervisor if your able. When we first got the service we got multiple answers regarding international service from the phone bank reps.

Also if and when you take the phone off airplane mode when docking into a port all sorts of messages will come thru if a cell tower is nearby. We usually go up on deck or a higher deck aboard the ship to receive and send texts, etc. We are also able to get on the internet going thru the T-Mobile data services in most countries without needing to go to an internet hot spot, i.e. local library, Mickey D's, Starbuck's, etc.

Good luck.

Bob :)

Should have clarified that we are on a Transatlantic, therefore no ports for six straight days. That's why I was hoping the text option would work. Since we plan to purchase some internet looks like we might be better off to tell family to send us an email if there is something we need to know about and just check it daily. I'm sure the internet will work fast and efficiently, not.

Ihsail, yes-- the internet does work well, on all 3 Queens, in my experience.

Altho, Using some Common Sense is

very helpful ~~ ( which isn't all that common, we all know ) --- don't try to log on at peak hours. Log on during dinner hours, when fewer passengers are on-line. Or-- early in the AM. And for quick e mails, this works fine.

***Note, I didn't say-- write a thesis or download the Library of Congress.***

Ihsail, yes-- the internet does work well, on all 3 Queens, in my experience.

Altho, Using some Common Sense is

very helpful ~~ ( which isn't all that common, we all know ) --- don't try to log on at peak hours. Log on during dinner hours, when fewer passengers are on-line. Or-- early in the AM. And for quick e mails, this works fine.

***Note, I didn't say-- write a thesis or download the Library of Congress.***

Appreciate the tips. I have a Word app on my iPad. If I’m going to send a lengthy note I create it in the app then just copy and paste when I log on. Really saves time.

Appreciate all the good information. Will have to think this through. With Verizon we did not get charged if we didn't answer the call.

Disclaimer: I've never incurred a one-minute charge due to being called while still registered to the ship's network. I have received a few 20 cent charges due to being overseas and not answering a call.

It has been over 10 years since the time I was charged for the call being forwarded to voicemail (back then overseas was about a dollar a minute), so that may have changed in their processes.

Also if and when you take the phone off airplane mode when docking into a port all sorts of messages will come thru if a cell tower is nearby. :)
That can be one of the factors that make your smart device appear to have an extremely poor data connection, especially when connecting to the ship's WiFi. Every app that is accustomed to a regular data updates sees that your device is suddenly connected and they all try to download their updates over what little data straw is available to the device. As a result network performance for loading a web page or retrieving your email can seem atrocious for a minute or two until those pent up updates are completed.