All Ama cruisers!!! Share expierences and ideas

Crusin-Suzan

Since you mentioned it, we are thinking of booking one of the Tulip Time cruises in 2020. Do you or anyone else on this board have a suggestion as to what dates and ships we should consider when booking this cruise? Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Judy and Bill

Hi, I have done the Tulip Time Cruise (back in 2016)…...I went in the middle of April and it was cool and sunny outside and the flowers were all in bloom:D. I went with AMA and loved it:D

Hi, I have done the Tulip Time Cruise (back in 2016)…...I went in the middle of April and it was cool and sunny outside and the flowers were all in bloom:D. I went with AMA and loved it:D

Thanks! That is about the timeframe we are thinking about doing it, i.e. around the middle of April. Does it matter which ship we choose, or are they all about the same? Also, do you know when the 2020 itieneraries will become available? Thanks again for your help.

Thanks! That is about the timeframe we are thinking about doing it, i.e. around the middle of April. Does it matter which ship we choose, or are they all about the same? Also, do you know when the 2020 itieneraries will become available? Thanks again for your help.

Hi, I sailed AMAStella but whichever ship is doing that itinerary would be good:D….I don't know when 2020 will be released. I would say go to the AMA website and you can find their toll free number there. You could give them a call and see if they can help you.

Since you mentioned it, we are thinking of booking one of the Tulip Time cruises in 2020. Do you or anyone else on this board have a suggestion as to what dates and ships we should consider when booking this cruise? Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Judy and Bill

We sailed on the AmaCerto in mid-April 2015. It was chilly, but absolutely fantastic! They had a cold winter that year, so the tulips were late, but the flowers at Keukenhof Gardens were spectacular! We loved it so much, we have been on 2 more Ama cruises and are sailing next September in Provence!

Allyson

Can anyone tell me how people dress for excursions and meals. My husband saw an advertisement for a different river cruise line and people seemed dressed to the nines for both. Is there time to change when you return from an excursion for dinner?

The ads and the brochure pictures are staged. They don't generally reflect reality.

How about Christmas market cruises? Do you think they are more casual than those in the summer for dinner hours, or more dressy? Generally in Europe, I dress how I would for work: corduroy slim pants, ankle boots, long tunic sweaters, chunky scarves. Will that work for dinner, or do I need to plan on something more dressy? I had planned for at least one comfy wool dress with leggings and ankle boots.

hbr777 from my two experiences, it didn't matter what time of year we went, people dress way more casual for dinner than on ocean cruises. Your outfits you describe would be perfect for the Christmas market time of year for cruising. Men and women dress very casual for dinner except for the Captains Farewell dinner night which is a little more dressy. But not over the top. We always had plenty of time to change for dinner and the cocktail hour before dinner. The only time we didn't have time was if an excursion ran a little late.

hbr777 from my two experiences, it didn't matter what time of year we went, people dress way more casual for dinner than on ocean cruises. Your outfits you describe would be perfect for the Christmas market time of year for cruising. Men and women dress very casual for dinner except for the Captains Farewell dinner night which is a little more dressy. But not over the top. We always had plenty of time to change for dinner and the cocktail hour before dinner. The only time we didn't have time was if an excursion ran a little late.

Thank you very much! This will help with packing, which will be minimal because we are traveling by travel both before and after the cruise. I could wear my dress for the captain's dinner and it would be fine? Is the farewell the last night, because I think we will be missing that dinner for a dinner in Amsterdam.

Thank you very much! This will help with packing, which will be minimal because we are traveling by travel both before and after the cruise. I could wear my dress for the captain's dinner and it would be fine? Is the farewell the last night, because I think we will be missing that dinner for a dinner in Amsterdam.
Yes it was that last evening before disembarking. Enjoy your cruise.

Can anyone tell me how people dress for excursions and meals. My husband saw an advertisement for a different river cruise line and people seemed dressed to the nines for both. Is there time to change when you return from an excursion for dinner?

From my experience, there was no "dressing to the nines"...….daytime jeans/tops/walking shoes. Evenings, I did change for dinner but nothing fancy. Clean pair of pants and different top:) And yes, I always remember having time to take a shower and change:)

How about Christmas market cruises? Do you think they are more casual than those in the summer for dinner hours, or more dressy? Generally in Europe, I dress how I would for work: corduroy slim pants, ankle boots, long tunic sweaters, chunky scarves. Will that work for dinner, or do I need to plan on something more dressy? I had planned for at least one comfy wool dress with leggings and ankle boots.

You'll be perfectly fine! I wore a nicer black fleece hoodie and dark jeans most nights and never changed out of my boots or sneakers.

I am not sure if it is still the case but in 2014 on our Nuremberg to Budapest Itinerary, Ama took us to the big market hall, it was within walking distance of the ship so we walked there with the cruise manager.

I am doing the Nuremberg to Budapest this December. If you remember from 2014, please let me know - morning half looks like city tour, they bring you back to the cruise for lunch ? then take you back and leave you at the markets for free time ? I also want to ask you about prices for souvenirs as these would be in Hungarian forints and I need to get the exchange in advance. Any chance you bought those painted egg ornaments ? how much was one roughly ? any other prices if you can remember please share. thank you

I am doing the Nuremberg to Budapest this December. If you remember from 2014, please let me know - morning half looks like city tour, they bring you back to the cruise for lunch ? then take you back and leave you at the markets for free time ? I also want to ask you about prices for souvenirs as these would be in Hungarian forints and I need to get the exchange in advance. Any chance you bought those painted egg ornaments ? how much was one roughly ? any other prices if you can remember please share. thank you

We were in Budapest about 3 years ago and bought some of the painted egg ornaments. If I remember correctly, they ran about $10 apiece. You can convert that over to the correct currency.

Thanks so much fo the quick reply. I hope we do not have river level issues; however, I am sure AMA will take care of us regardless. We have a hurricane heading this way so a bit concerned about leaving home. Water levels, hurricanes--deep breaths, deep breaths--LOL.

We leave Tuesday to NYC to visit our son and leave Thursday night and head to Portugal for our AMA rivercruise and land tour. This will be our 5th River crusing with them and can't wait. How did you do with Hurricaine Florence? We survived it but received an emergency call just now that the Noth Carolina waters are now exiting and heading our way Wednesday/Thursday. We can't get out of here fast enough!!

Loved the cruise. Out of the 4 AMA cruises we did it was my favorite. Found Serbia, Bulgaria and Romania fascinating and the guides all seemed to have different views on how communism affected their countries. We went in October so had no problems with water levels but the itinerary had to be changed slightly as a bridge was being replaced in Serbia and we missed seeing Mohacs and Vukovar but Constanta, Romania was added. Our cruise manager was Florentin who was wonderful. Enjoy your cruise, it will be fantastic!

Just returned from the Gems of Southeast Europe on AMACerto. It was a very interesting cruise. We did a lot of touring and learned a lot about communism and the different views (as stated above). We did many long tours and also some days had 2 and 3 tours. I figured I would rest when I got home. We loved the tours and the cities were interesting. We were able to get to them all as the water level must have improved. The highlight of the tour was being able to meet the Crown Prince of Serbia and his wife at their palace. They were very friendly and welcoming. They took pictures of the group with them. One of the pictures they stood right between my husband and myself. Wouldn't you know that is the one picture that they did not print.

We did the extension in Romania and thoroughly enjoyed seeing Dracula's Castle (Bran) nd also Peles Castle. Peles Castle was the most lovely castle I have ever seen both inside and out.

Has anyone heard of any scheduling changes for AMA Danube river cruises due to water levels? We have approximately a month to go before we leave. I know so much can change in that time frame. Just wondering what (if anything) AMA did to change itineraries. Hoping for lots and lots of rain for the next few weeks.

We just got off the AmaViola Budapest to Vilshofen cruise on 9/14. We were able to complete the entire cruise on board. It had rained a bit the week before to our benefit.

Don’t pray for too much rain. You can have issues where the boat can’t get under bridges.

Have a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

just completed danube cruise on amaserena, all went great despite low water levels.

great service, same as prior Ama rhine cruise a couple years ago.

i'll try to paste in the 'daily cruiser' briefs supplied by ama for those interested in this cruise.

highlight of cruise probably would be the night-time cruise around budapest with all buildings illuminated.

only downside would be the incredible crowds in just about each port; if done over, would book later in september or earlier in may.

Migelito, did you post, or did I overlook, your jpegs on the Thursday & Friday AmaSerena Daily Cruiser itinerary for Budeapest?

Thank you