Advise on may 2019 river cruise on rhine

windyrichards

My husband and I are planning a tour to Normandy and a river cruise after. Would like some input on preferable weather and crowds. Are options are late May on Viking Cities of Lights or Viking Paris to the Swiss Alps when weather might be cooler and rainy but less crowded in port. Or 1st of July on the same cruises when weather will be warmer but maybe very crowded with summer tourist. Also their is one cruise on Ama on their new ship AmaMagna. Would appreciate any info from experienced cruisers, this will be our first and probably only river cruise in Europe.

Thanks, Nancy

If you have the opportunity NOT to travel to Europe in the summer, I would not....more $$, crowded, hot.....Beware, sometimes in the spring the water levels can be too high from the rain, unlike the lack of rain this summer that caused all kinds of river problems:'):(.

Something to consider : Viking does not dock in Paris as most of the other brands do because their longships do not fit. You’d be docked in a suburb one hour away. If you want to be able to see the Eiffel Tower from the ship and have easy access to the many sights in Paris being an hour away is not conducive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

AmaMagna is sailing on the Danube in 2019--we were considering that ship because of the concierge golf program.

AmaMagna can only sail on the Danube – she is double-wide [that's a good thing] so doesn't fit through the locks anywhere else [that's the trade-off].