Santa Marta -- Things to do?

lizp

We will be on a partial Panama Canal cruise this November-December, and I'm planing our days for our group. We are myself and my husband (late 30s) and his grandparents (late 70s/early 80s) and I'm trying to find some things to do that are interesting, fun, and not too strenuous. The ship has just 4 excursions, none of which particularly interest us.

Anyone been to Santa Marta recently? The only posts I could really find here on CC are from several years ago. We're not against booking a private tour, or booking a non-ship excursion. Is the port it safe and easy to do on our own? We're happy to wander, shop, and stop for lunch if that is a worth-while plan! :)

• 2 months later...
From what little I can glean, it’s all very touristy right out of the port. We plan to walk around close to the port on our own.

Who said it was touristy??? I have been there. It is far from that. It is a container port. Very crazy port. I wouldn't even try to walk around with all that is going on. We were taken off by an ambulance so we did not see much. But all I saw was a lot of containers. It's very industrial. Good luck. I wish I had pictures but my companion had had a heart attack.That is why we were being removed from the ship by ambulance. We were taken to a urgent care. They could not transport him until midnight as they said that is when it would be the safest.

Enjoy your cruise. Stay safe and have fun.

Interesting, to hear, thanks so much for your input!

First off, I'm sorry to hear of what must have been an awful and harrowing experience! I hope all is well now. My FIL has had 2 heart attacks, I know how scary that is. I can't imagine having that happen while on a cruise.

Basically many of the neighbourhoods that are the places one would want to walk around in and sight-see (parks, cathedrals, plazas) are within walking distance of the port. I don't intend to just hang around among the containers.....

I have found very very little information on this port here on Cruise Critic, which is frustrating, to say the least (usually it is a wealth of information!), but research outside of this site has shown me that I can easily walk around a bit and see some of the city on my own. I would love to hear from more people who have been here.

Edited by lizp

Interesting, to hear, thanks so much for your input!

First off, I'm sorry to hear of what must have been an awful and harrowing experience! I hope all is well now. My FIL has had 2 heart attacks, I know how scary that is. I can't imagine having that happen while on a cruise.

Basically many of the neighbourhoods that are the places one would want to walk around in and sight-see (parks, cathedrals, plazas) are within walking distance of the port. I don't intend to just hang around among the containers.....

I have found very very little information on this port here on Cruise Critic, which is frustrating, to say the least (usually it is a wealth of information!), but research outside of this site has shown me that I can easily walk around a bit and see some of the city on my own. I would love to hear from more people who have been here.

Thank you. He is doing wonderful, thank God. He had open heart surgery in 2016.

Sorry to hear about your father in law. Glad to hear he is doing well. It was scary but more scary being in another country. We were transferred to Barranquilla Colombia. He was in ICU for 6 days then we had a on call nurse come in and with the doctors in the states and the doctors in Columbia they decided he could be transported home with a nurse. She came with oxygen, meds, everything she needed. It was the fastest transition from the hospital, through customs and on the plane I have ever done. I pray we NEVER have to experience that again. Or anyone for that matter.

We are now going to be redoing our Panama Canal cruise but we upt it. We will not be going to This port this time. We will do a full transit and get off in San Diego.Instead of a 10 day, we are doing a 15 day. So, we are praying all goes well and we have a wonderful time.

Be safe and enjoy your cruise.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Stopped in Santa Marta in November on an NCL cruise. Why cruise ships stop there is beyond me. The town and area around it is very dirty and not even a shopping area. Nearly all of the excursions were hours away and up in the hills, which my brother says were lovely but long bus rides. We should of stayed on the ship but it was docked next to a coal export harbor facility so you couldn't sit out on the balcony. Abysmal.

• 4 months later...
On 1/16/2019 at 10:22 PM, calizonian said:

Stopped in Santa Marta in November on an NCL cruise. Why cruise ships stop there is beyond me. The town and area around it is very dirty and not even a shopping area. Nearly all of the excursions were hours away and up in the hills, which my brother says were lovely but long bus rides. We should of stayed on the ship but it was docked next to a coal export harbor facility so you couldn't sit out on the balcony. Abysmal.

We have to stay on the ship as our NCL cruise arrives at 6am and departs at 2pm. Not enough time to go anywhere.  Is there nothing at all at the pier? 

Edited by BarnCat1

• 2 weeks later...