Where to stay in Panama before and after cruise?

1newf1not

In general it would be better to stay on the Pacific side in and around Panama City. There would be more to do and see there and it should be fairly easy to get a transfer to/from the port and the airport. The following link is just to give you an idea of what is available near the Canal. http://www.panamacanalcountry.com/amador/?gclid=CKLn8vvfvLMCFREx4AodSBAA0Q

I have not stayed there but know people that have and they were pleased. There are also the usual suspects available in different locations such as Holiday Inn, Marriott, Wyndham etc. Colon does not really have anything to offer for the tourist.

Definitely Panama City. There is one hotel in Amador right on the banks of the Canal . . . loads downtown Panama City . . . one IN the rain forest on the banks of the Canal but quite a distance from the city, several small boutique hotels in Casco Viejo (the "colonial" part of the city), and even a bed & breakfast on Ancon hill where the moneys come to feed right off your balcony. Rates will run from $70 to $250 depending on hotel. You've even got the "Donald's" new tower hotel to choose from. Panama is a huge, busy, chaotic city. Of the 3.3 M people who live in Panama, about 2 M live in and around Panama City. Enjoy! Regards, Richard

We are arriving a day early to be tourists and staying a day later.

Any advice on MUST SEES or places we MUST EAT would be awesome too :) Thank you so much!!

Great plan! Since CC considers me a "local expert" or some such, it imposes restrictions on what I say, even although I live in Boquete, 6.5 hours drive from Panama City, and have no financial interest in anything in Panama other than my house and coffee farm, to which I would gladly invite your for a cup of coffee if you were staying longer. So let me try to answer your questions while staying within the CC guidelines. Most hotels will have information on the many local day tours available. I assume you are not doing a Canal cruise but doing the Southern Caribbean from Colon [??} Forget Colon: not safe unfortunately and nothing to see in town. For information only, not as recommendation, since I can't "recommend": there is now a Hop On Hop Off bus in Panama City. Good way to get an overview of the city. I believe it goes to Miraflores Visitor Center which will give you a great overview of the Canal up close. I think it also stops on the edge of the colonial Casco Viejo where there is a lot to see. The Interoceanic Panama Canal Museum in Casco Viejo is great. The Opera House is all restored and is a gem. St. Joseph's Church has the famous Golden Altar. Although much of the area is torn up and under restoration, it is still a must see. There are independent Panama Canal by Ferry Boat excursions through the Canal. Maybe the day after the cruise do an excursion to an AUTHENTIC Embera Indian Village. [The best and most authentic ones are full day trips and the Embera Village at San Juan de Pequini is my favorite. Sometimes these can be booked through your hotel, or a better way is to go online and Google "embera village tour" or similar to come up with independent offerings. You'll have a blast and be back. Just remember in Panama City, like in all big cities, use your head and be street smart. In the city leave valuable in the hotel safe and don't flash your cash or bling.

Out on the Amador causeway that has the Canal on one side and the Bay of Panama on the other, there are some great little restaurants that at night have spectacular views of the city across the Bay. That area is quite safe to stroll along to causeway. A fish preparation Corvina de Ajio [Corvina fish with a garlic sauce - mmmm) and deep fried yucca with Balboa beer (oops, recommendation!) and the city sparkling across the Bay with the wind blowing the palm trees - you'll be back!

Regards, Richard

Does anyone have any advice?

Places where a transfer to Colon would work?

And a place where we can easily be tourists and see things etc.

I hope you can help. :)

Hi Krista and Neil: I have never been to Panama City or Colon but will be going there on a 3-day repositioning cruise from MIA to Colon over T-day. So we plan to spend 3.5 days in Panama as tourists. Based on great reviews on a site with TA initials, I picked Toscana Inn Hotel.

Hopefully, I made the right choice. I also arranged 3 tours and a PC to PTY transfer via My Friend Mario. He gets mostly good reviews on this CC site. He will meet us in Colon with minivans and tour, CL007= Chagres River, Waterfalls&Embera Indidan Village for $95 each and other things and transfer us to our hotel afterwards on Nov 25th.

The other 2 days I signed up for PC1 City Tour and Miraflores Locks @$60 ea. Tue PT Panama Canal Partial Transit for $115 each.

Wed transfer from our hotel to PTY airport for afternoon flight.

Don't have to pay until I see him or his rep.

It would be helpful if you gave general info like how many in your party, any physical limitations, your interests, how you will be arriving/leaving, dates too.

Hope this helps.

I picked Toscana Inn Hotel.

Comment on Toscana Inn (not recommending, commenting . . .) I've stayed there: very nice! Clean. Nice staff. Beautiful rooms. Centrally located. My opinion about your choice: good choice! And it is priced nicely too and includes a nice breakfast. Regards, Richard

Comment on Toscana Inn (not recommending, commenting . . .) I've stayed there: very nice! Clean. Nice staff. Beautiful rooms. Centrally located. My opinion about your choice: good choice! And it is priced nicely too and includes a nice breakfast. Regards, Richard

God Bless ya Richard for your comment. There are a bunch of hotels to pick from. I don't like those high-rise behemoth types. So, from what I read, TIH sounded like a 'match' to me. It is reassuring to know of your comment.

Glad you are back from whatever cruise you were on. I took your suggestion from your blog and scheduled a Embera Indian Village tour. I also watch Cher and that reality show of her being exiled by her parents to spend a week with them. It was cute.

Again, glad you commented on Toscana.

I will look into that hotel right now :) Please write your review on here

so I can see if you are happy with your choice :)

Richard....yes we are on RC and out of Colon.

Gonna try Mario to get us there.

So if you know anyone going on this cruise Dec 9th let us know!!

So far we haven't had much action in the MEET AND MINGLE area :(.

We are used to meeting alot of people on here before cruising.

I have printed off your information. Very helpful for sure :)

Archived