Help to decide which Panama Canal cruise itinerary?

2cool2cruise

There's been numerous cruise sales going on this weekend and I have to decide soon which itinerary I should book. I'm not loyal to any one cruise line.

Royal C. and Celebrity's itinerary from Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego has a stop in Colon, Panama but has more cruising days compared to that of NCL. However, NCL itinerary looks good in that there's fewer sea days and more port stops. (Two sea days for me is a bit too much). However, it doesn't stop in Colon, Panama. It would be neat to see Panama City while already in the vicinity. Will I be missing a great deal (of Panama City) if I go with NCL's itinerary?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

While the Canal transit is certainly one of the main events of this cruise, I think the stop in Panama is the cherry on top! Over the years cruise lines have been a little slow to embrace the idea and as you can see the Panama stop is not yet universal. Whether you choose a tour that will compliment or reinforce the transit, tour the Panama City, visit the Embera Indians, ride the Panama Railroad or any other tour, the Panama stop is worth the extra sea day you will have to "endure";). Stopping in Colon or if you stop at Ft. Amador you will be able to avail yourself to a great selection of shore excursions.

While the Canal transit is certainly one of the main events of this cruise, I think the stop in Panama is the cherry on top! Over the years cruise lines have been a little slow to embrace the idea and as you can see the Panama stop is not yet universal. Whether you choose a tour that will compliment or reinforce the transit, tour the Panama City, visit the Embera Indians, ride the Panama Railroad or any other tour, the Panama stop is worth the extra sea day you will have to "endure";). Stopping in Colon or if you stop at Ft. Amador you will be able to avail yourself to a great selection of shore excursions.

This is an eye-opener...certainly I will consider it.

Thank you!

IMHO to just cruise THROUGH the Panama Canal, although exciting, is like cruising up the Hudson River but not getting off to see New York, sailing into Venice but not getting off the ship to experience Venice, cruising into Sydney Harbor but never exploring Sydney. Bill's right ... the day in Panama is "the cherry on top!"

Check out this video to see what you'd miss ...

Regards, Richard

Richard,

Can we do the train oneway then get a bus/shuttle/cab back to Colon? I have spent a few months in Panama and traveled around some of the country, mostly Rio Hato, David, Pedasi and in between. I was looking forward to the train since it is such a part of the canal history, but when looking at the ships options none are that great. I looked at your website and other options are the Embera village tour with Anne or the lake Safari with Capt Carl.

We are doing a full transit East to West, if that makes a difference for your answer

Edited by Sfdtiller

Richard,

Can we do the train oneway then get a bus/shuttle/cab back to Colon? I have spent a few months in Panama and traveled around some of the country, mostly Rio Hato, David, Pedasi and in between. I was looking forward to the train since it is such a part of the canal history, but when looking at the ships options none are that great. I looked at your website and other options are the Embera village tour with Anne or the lake Safari with Capt Carl.

We are doing a full transit East to West, if that makes a difference for your answer

More than likely that is exactly what you will do... now the but. But, you will have to do it through Celebrity. Most of the time this tour operates train over to the Pacific side and bus back to Colon. Depending on the number of passengers that have selected the railroad excursion, it can be run in the reverse order. There are also times when the train is used over and back as well, I don't know of any way to predict what you will encounter. These excursion trains are only run for the benefit of the cruise line, so if your looking to ride the PRR you'll have to go through the cruise line. Regular passenger service is only one trip per day at 7:15 Panama to Colon and return at 5:15 from Colon. M-F only.

• 2 weeks later...
does princess coral ft Lauderdale to la stop in panama

It depends on which cruise you choose. Some stop for a day near Panama City for a day and overnight before or after the cruise. You have to look at the itneary for the specific cruise. When we did the stop we watched the pelicans fish using the ships lights.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Richard,

, c

Sfdtiller, I did see your question, directed to me, and spent considerable time answering it, as I do generally on this board. My answer was deleted and I received a warning that as a "local" I cannot make recommendations. Bill, who lives in Panama City, Florida can make recommendations because he is not a local. I do not live in Panama City, Panama, but 7 hours away in Boquete on the Chiriqui border, so I am not any more a "local" than someone who lives in New York, USA is a "local" in regard to San Francisco, USA. I don't have any financial arrangement with anyone in Panama City or elsewhere, and just spend time on this bulletin board to help you all, my CC friends, to have a fantastic cruise. I just wanted you to know that I did answer your question August 31 and the post was removed and August 31 I was told as a "local" I could not ... whatever.

Regards to you and other cruisers out there! Have a great cruise!

Regards, Richard

PS - And Bill, like a lot of other former Canal employees living in Panama City, Florida, does know what he is talking about.

Have you looked at Princess from Los Angeles or Fort Lauderdale. Some of their Panama Canal cruises actually stop at Puerto Amandor for tours to Panama City etc.

Puerto Amandor is where you want a port stop for Panama City!

Island Princess and Coral Princess were especially designed for the Panama (long & narrow). :)

LuLu

Thanks for the kind words Richard, I did not realize the extra restriction that was imposed on "locals"... good thing former locals don't count! I guess I had not wandered into the twilight zone until just recently. On my post about the Canal crane Titan, aka Herman the German, I went to preview the post and saw that part of what I wrote was starred out. So I re-wickered the post so it would pass muster. Learning something new all the time!

Richard,

Thanks for the reply, although it's not surprising that a moderator here is clueless as to what a "local" is.

From Bills undeleted answer and since I prefer not doing cruise excursions because they are so limited. I will just plan another land trip and ride the train that way. Maybe when I do that you can give me some tips on Boquete (you probably know someone that has pretty good coffee) and Bocas if you have been out to the islands.

Funny though that so many people answer questions all the time about Florida ports and they live in Florida. Heck I answered one the other day about San Diego, hopefully it doesn't get removed since I live in California!!

If the deleting moderator is reading this, where Richard lives is closer to Costa Rica than the Canal, try maps.google.com for future reference before deleting what I am sure was a helpful post.

• 3 months later...
Puerto Amandor is where you want a port stop for Panama City!

Island Princess and Coral Princess were especially designed for the Panama (long & narrow). :)

LuLu

Hi Lulu,

Just now came back on CC board...been very busy during the holidays.

Thanks for your reply and input.

We're booked on the Legend, RCC and the port stop is Colon. Please tell me...we can also go to Panama City from Colon, correct?

Thanks.

We've just returned from the Wind Spirit going through the Panama Canal and up the pacific coast of Panama and Costa Rica. We flew into Panama City 3 days early to explore this wonderful city. We then booked a driver that drove us from Panama City to Colon. That drive took less time than we thought and our driver showed us many sights along the way. I think it was about an hour.

A few observations:

Th train doesn't run anymore between the two cities. They have had many issues and sometimes it runs, sometimes it does not.

The old part of Panama City (Caseo Viejo) was an amazing place. It's in the middle of a huge revival and we enjoyed our time there and always felt safe.

That being said, I would not want to stay in Colon. Even our driver who was retired US military and a local Panamaian didn't like Colon. Driving to the port was interesting but not a place I would want to spend any time at.

My suggestion is to fly to Panama City and experience this wonderful city and then enjoy your passage through the canal. It was incredible!

Edited by Ski Mom 2