earning mariner point(s) before cruise?

DianeNZ

Hi,

I am one point away from the Mariner 4 Star level (soooo close). Is there any way I can earn one Mariner point before my next cruise, in 2019? I'd like to have the 4-Star perks on my 2019 cruise and not have to wait until 2020.

It's my understanding that pre-cruise purchases (e.g., shore excursions, bon voyage bubbly, etc) count towards the on-board spend credit for accumulating Mariner points, but if I make pre-cruise purchases of $300 or more before my 2019 cruise starts would that give me the additional Mariner point to get to 4-star before my 2019 cruise? Or would the pre-cruise purchases be counted later?

What I'm after is a way to get that 1 point before the 2019 cruise, without having to take an additional cruise (work full time; limited options for taking time off).

Cheers,

Diane

Hi,

I am one point away from the Mariner 4 Star level (soooo close). Is there any way I can earn one Mariner point before my next cruise, in 2019? I'd like to have the 4-Star perks on my 2019 cruise and not have to wait until 2020.

It's my understanding that pre-cruise purchases (e.g., shore excursions, bon voyage bubbly, etc) count towards the on-board spend credit for accumulating Mariner points, but if I make pre-cruise purchases of $300 or more before my 2019 cruise starts would that give me the additional Mariner point to get to 4-star before my 2019 cruise? Or would the pre-cruise purchases be counted later?

What I'm after is a way to get that 1 point before the 2019 cruise, without having to take an additional cruise (work full time; limited options for taking time off).

Cheers,

Diane

Your pre-purchases will count but not until your cruise is completed, sorry.

I don't know of any way to earn Mariner's points in advance. They are geared to be earned upon completion of your cruise.

Your pre-purchases will count but not until your cruise is completed, sorry.

I don't know of any way to earn Mariner's points in advance. They are geared to be earned upon completion of your cruise.

Thanks Jacqui. I was afraid that was the case. Guess I'll have to find a one-day HAL cruise (none where I live, sadly!)

Cheers,

Diane (in New Zealand)

Thanks Jacqui. I was afraid that was the case. Guess I'll have to find a one-day HAL cruise (none where I live, sadly!)

Cheers,

Diane (in New Zealand)

I think the reason for not crediting your Mariner account with pre-cruise purchases until after the cruise is that you can cancel the purchases or the cruise and they will refund those purchases. Then they would have to take the extra step of removing those credits. I've been in your position with needing just a couple of days of credit too. I think many of us have been. :)

At least here in North America you can occasionally find a cruise of 3 or 4 days in the Caribbean and along the west coast of the US. Perhaps they do the same in NZ or Australia?

At least here in North America you can occasionally find a cruise of 3 or 4 days in the Caribbean and along the west coast of the US. Perhaps they do the same in NZ or Australia?

Diane, I am in a similar state to yours. At the end of my next cruise in about a week there is the possibility that, depending upon onboard spend, I might come up a day or two short of achieving my fourth star.

I know that you stated that they don't have any 1-day cruises in your locale or short coastals that 0bnxshs referred to that we have in the US. However, are there any local (to you) short segments of longer cruises available? What I'm doing in a couple of days is a hop-on/hop-off 2-day segment of the 89-day Grand Asia. Perhaps one of the Australia or NZ cruises might have a segment like that?

Diane, I am in a similar state to yours. At the end of my next cruise in about a week there is the possibility that, depending upon onboard spend, I might come up a day or two short of achieving my fourth star.

I know that you stated that they don't have any 1-day cruises in your locale or short coastals that 0bnxshs referred to that we have in the US. However, are there any local (to you) short segments of longer cruises available? What I'm doing in a couple of days is a hop-on/hop-off 2-day segment of the 89-day Grand Asia. Perhaps one of the Australia or NZ cruises might have a segment like that?

..good call - i was going to suggest a 3 day cruise prior. that is what i would try to do. this next cruise we start out as a four star, as we earned it in the middle of our last cruise. i would have liked to have gotten my 4 star bennies in the middle. but we all know those bennies start next cruise. i get it and i am happy with it. just happy to be on a cruise working toward our next level . happy cruising all. may we all have free laundry and half off on wine packages.. happy sailing everyone.

Edited by tuolumne couple
more info to add

I am not sure that New Zealand offers 2 or 3 day cruises.

Sorry Holland does not offer short cruises in Asia the shortest is 7 days. They do offer some 1, 2 & 4 days cruises from Seattle and the West Coast. Do not know any way for you to get the extra point. Short of calling the company and asking them to give it to you before the cruise. This has worked in the past for some guests but it is at the discretion of the company.

Hi Susan,

Just curious - what is the 2-day segment that you're doing?

As far as I know the only HAL cruises in my part of the world are at least 10 days. I've looked at a bunch of different web sites to try to find a short cruise (l1-6 days) but the only ones I've found are the Pacific coastal cruises.

Cheers,

Diane

Hi Susan,

Just curious - what is the 2-day segment that you're doing?

I'm off to the pier right now to board ms Amsterdam for Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver. But I'm sooo embarrassed about having to do a short segment that I don't have it in my signature. That's why you see only the ticker for my "real" upcoming cruise on Eurodam. I really wish that you had a similar option available to solve your situation.

But as others have suggested, won't cost you anything to call HAL and see if they might "advance" you that one day. Best of luck to you.

If you're going to bend the rule for one day, why not two? Or three? Or anything less than the length of the cruise where you cross to a higher level? We were once 2-days short of 4-star but understood that we wouldn't get to move up until the end of the next cruise.