Laundry on HAL

JoAnnaBullhead

FYI... as of July 2018, None of HAL's ships have self serve laundry facilities anymore!

As of last Monday (September 3rd), Oosterdam still had a self-service (token-operated) laundry on Deck 7.

You can still send laundry out for a fee. I think it was $20 for a laundry bag full. ( Roll your clothes.. more fits in the bag ).

Again as of last Monday, Oosterdam's laundry "Special" was one bag (limited to 20 items) for $24.95. So much for over-stuffing the bag by rolling clothes.

As of last Monday (September 3rd), Oosterdam still had a self-service (token-operated) laundry on Deck 7.

Are you sure? there never has been one on the Vista class ships, so where and when did it suddenly appear? Not shown on deck plans.

Again as of last Monday, Oosterdam's laundry "Special" was one bag (limited to 20 items) for $24.95. So much for over-stuffing the bag by rolling clothes.

That is new! Have to start stuffing socks n jocks into pockets of shorts and pants!;p

they use a special enovironmentally friendly laundry soap. No tide. I really have noticed no scent on ours. But, I have not sailed on the NA in years. I have been on smaller ships - vista, S & R & Prinsendam.

There was no scent on my laundry on the NA in March.

If you’re fine with your sheets and towels you’ll be fine with your clothes. I am highly sensitive to scents and chemicals and do not have a problem.

Oops - wrong ship, wrong line. We just got back from a long trip on several ships/lines and I got them confused (otherwise known as "had a golden moment"). On Oosterdam we were in a Neptune Suite so I have no idea what launderette facilities were available. My apologies.

What’s the typical return time for bag o’ laundry? Also, do they have access to “allergen free” detergent, or just the usual Tide-quality stuff? And is it sent back ironed and hung?

We just returned from a 12 day Mediterranean on the Oosterdam and did the “$30 a bag” laundry option. It was amazing how much we fit into that bag by rolling! I did a “per item” comparison just to see if it was a savings and it was. Individual items would have cast $55. We sent out t-shirts, underwear, shorts, and washable pants. Everything came back great and even though I indicated “fold”, the shirts and pants came back on hangers. Everything came back in great condition. We left the bag on our bed in the morning, and received it back by 2:00 the next day. They had an “unlimited laundry” option as well but it was $10 per day ($120 for the entire cruise).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree. Besides having so many 4 and 5-star Mariners on the VOV this year, we also had a bad Noro outbreak the first 2 weeks. Due to all the extra laundry because of that, there was one time it took 3 days for our laundry to get back. The laundry dept. even borrowed extra staff from another ship in port with us.

Hi Carolyn!

After daily posting prior to our VOV on the Rotterdam, I have CC withdrawal and was happy to come across your post!

The only time we have EVER used on board laundry was on the July VOV cruise when we were caught in the rain during our kayaking excursion. We returned to the ship dripping wet. Since the weather was cool, we had on heavy clothes and there was no way we could hang everything in our bathroom and wait for it to dry. So, we stuffed it all in a laundry bag and were surprised it all fit! We even had enough room to throw in 2 long-sleeved shirts as well. The bag weighted about 20 lbs and was dripping water. I called the front desk to request a laundry pick up and within 10 minutes, the bag was gone. Our clothes came back the next day fresh and folded. The shirts were on a hanger. Well worth the $20.

So even with 700+ 4 and 5 stars on our cruise, the laundry service was excellent! This was near the end of the Noro crisis and may be due to the extra help on board. Never the less, we were satisfied.

Jim

Hi Carolyn!

After daily posting prior to our VOV on the Rotterdam, I have CC withdrawal and was happy to come across your post!

The only time we have EVER used on board laundry was on the July VOV cruise when we were caught in the rain during our kayaking excursion. We returned to the ship dripping wet. Since the weather was cool, we had on heavy clothes and there was no way we could hang everything in our bathroom and wait for it to dry. So, we stuffed it all in a laundry bag and were surprised it all fit! We even had enough room to throw in 2 long-sleeved shirts as well. The bag weighted about 20 lbs and was dripping water. I called the front desk to request a laundry pick up and within 10 minutes, the bag was gone. Our clothes came back the next day fresh and folded. The shirts were on a hanger. Well worth the $20.

So even with 700+ 4 and 5 stars on our cruise, the laundry service was excellent! This was near the end of the Noro crisis and may be due to the extra help on board. Never the less, we were satisfied.

Jim

Hi Jim!

Good to “see” you too!

I agree wholeheartedly. The service on that cruise was amazing from all departments. Couldn’t be happier about it. Even with the Noro they got laundry back within an acceptable timeframe considering what they had to do. I’m pretty sure our 3-day experience happened earlier in the Noro episode. I just wanted to point out that there are times when it takes a little longer.

Thank you again for everything you did for all of us!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Regarding self service laundries on the Prinsendam: there are 2 (decks 6 and 10 if memory serves) as of 2 September 2018 when we disembarked from our Iceland cruise.

Both washers and dryers were a bit fiddly (and very time consuming - slower than my front loader at home), but once we (collectively) figured out how to use them it was okay. I liked having some control of my laundry, in particular because there are items I have that I never put in the dryer.

Also, since the P'dam machines are free, it was cheaper that the HAL service!:D

any idea about access for ironing?? I believe I've read no irons/boards are available. Wondering how we can get wrinkles out of clothes after being packed in suitcases.

Unlimited laundry and unlimited pressing can be arranged prior to departure or with the room steward on board. Customer service can be called for pricing varies by length of cruise. We have done this twice on European cruises 14 day last 2 years and it saves a lot on packing. We had no problem s and quick service. They pressed wrinkles on arrival to ship and return ed next morning. Same day can not be promised but had everything for special dinner out in the morning back when we returned from a day excursion.

I thought that Amsterdam still had a laundry. Can anyone confirm? I'm doing one of the World Cruise segments and had planned to do laundry every 2 weeks - I don't mind spending a few hours on a sea day doing this for a long cruise. And, I'm just a 1 star so have no status to get mine done for free.

We were on the Amsterdam the last week of August. The laundry facility is still available on both floors 3 and 6. We used it on one of our sea days.

absolutely loved the laundry service on the Koningsdam. Everything came back the next day, just perfect, some things folded, wrapped in tissues paper, in a wicker basket, some things on hangers in a garment bag. Nothing ruined. No more hand washing for me! Europe cruises are more expensive, I think it's $9/day per cabin.

With the unlimited laundry service, there is no extra price for pressing. Everything comes back pressed and on hangers, except little items like underwear and socks. All for the $7 per day rate in North America, and $9 in Europe. We put a bag out before leaving our cabin in the morning, at the clothes are back late that day or the next morning. The "by-the-bag" plan of $20 per bag in North America and $30 in Europe works the same way, everything comes back pressed on hangers. There is a separate pressing-only service that is not covered by the unlimited package plan.

For all laundry plans, you can't use it the day before disembarkation. The laundry job may not be returned to you by the time you get off the ship.

Agree with some of the others that I dont want to waste my vacation with laundry and if i can pay for an expensive cruise i can pay 20.00 for the laundry bag - stuff it all in there option. We have done it twice and have had great luck. They return items next day with your undies in tissue and other items on hangers....even ironed our shirts! I would not send an expensive irreplaceable garment but I love the 20.00 laundry bag for all wash and wear items