cruising northern Europe

My husband would like to take a Baltic cruise. I was looking at a few choices. It looks like Southampton or Copenhagen are the ports I'm trying to decide on. Any comments on the 2 ports or itinerary recommendations?

Image already added

Image already added

My husband would like to take a Baltic cruise. I was looking at a few choices. It looks like Southampton or Copenhagen are the ports I'm trying to decide on. Any comments on the 2 ports or itinerary recommendations?

Image already added

Image already added

Where are you travelling from? We are doing a cruise with MSC Preziosa and embark at Copenhagen. MSC can also be boarded at Kiel Germany. We are travelling from New Zealand and connect at Dubai.

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk

We go to Stockholm Tallinn and St Petersburg then do b2b on a 7 days in the Norwegian Fjords.

Where are you travelling from? We are doing a cruise with MSC Preziosa and embark at Copenhagen. MSC can also be boarded at Kiel Germany. We are travelling from New Zealand and connect at Dubai.

Cunard do a Baltic cruise from Southampton and Hamburg. In fact, if you do a bit of research you will probably find quite a number of Baltic cruises from various ports with different itineraries.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't which itinerary that goes from which port. However one idea would be to do a cruise that starts in Copenhagen and ends in Stockholm (or the opposite). This way you can add extra days before and after which means that you will have time to see allot more.

Image already added

Image already added

The first guideline would be the itinerary, meaning where does each ship go and which ports you feel you might like best, or may be missing for one or the other.

Second, where would you like to spend some time, pre or post cruise? Copenhagen offers so many options and is a marvelous city to spend some quality time pre or post cruise. But Southampton offers you London for pre and post cruise stays. AND, for the most part, London is a lot cheaper to fly to and to stay, if that is any concern to you.

Cheers

Len

The first guideline would be the itinerary, meaning where does each ship go and which ports you feel you might like best, or may be missing for one or the other.

Second, where would you like to spend some time, pre or post cruise? Copenhagen offers so many options and is a marvelous city to spend some quality time pre or post cruise. But Southampton offers you London for pre and post cruise stays. AND, for the most part, London is a lot cheaper to fly to and to stay, if that is any concern to you.

Cheers

Len

That's true however coming from New Zealand in 2014 we found that it is NZD200 more expensive to fly out of Heathrow as opposed to other airports in Europe such as Paris.

Just cruised from Southampton to Baltic capitals on Celebrity Silhouette last week. North Sea was a little motion going over but had 10-12' seas - maybe higher during night on return. If subject to motion sickness, consider departure from Copenhagen!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That's true however coming from New Zealand in 2014 we found that it is NZD200 more expensive to fly out of Heathrow as opposed to other airports in Europe such as Paris.

I wouldn’t trust that airfare in 2014 would have any bearing today. It might be true but it might not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Image already added

Image already added

Hi, I would recommend that you and your husband decide on how long a cruise you want and which ports are a priority and then see which itinerary best fits your priorities. Sailings from Southhampton tend to be longer and include Norway. You may also find that there are rough seas on the first and last days when not sailing within the Baltic Sea.

We decided to really focus on the Russian and Scandinavian ports and not "waste" time with Southhampton. The best ports for us were St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Copenhagen (we missed Helsinki due to high winds).

Happy Planning!

Lynne

We are doing a Baltic cruise on the Regal Princess from Aug 6-17. I plan on writing a detailed review and posting it on cruise critic since people have been helpful to this newbie!

The ports are:

Copenhagen

Oslo

Warnemunde/Berlin

Tallinn

St Petersburg (2 days)

Helsinki

Stockholm

Copenhagen

We chose this one because the itinerary is incredible. Good luck...Hope to have a review up by Aug 20something detailing the adventure!

Image already added

Image already added

we just did Baltic 9 day from Copenhagen on NCL Breakaway. The reasons why;

kids free promotion

non stop flight to CPH

decent ports of call.

Pre-cruise stayed 3 days in CPH, post- cruise we took a train to Malmo, spend a day there and returned to Clarion hotel by the airport. Got lucky with weather!

Hi, I would recommend that you and your husband decide on how long a cruise you want and which ports are a priority and then see which itinerary best fits your priorities. Sailings from Southhampton tend to be longer and include Norway. You may also find that there are rough seas on the first and last days when not sailing within the Baltic Sea.

We decided to really focus on the Russian and Scandinavian ports and not "waste" time with Southhampton. The best ports for us were St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Copenhagen (we missed Helsinki due to high winds).

Happy Planning!

Happy Planning!

Norway isn't included in most Scandinavian cruises from Southampton, although there are one or two that stop in Oslo. Norway is in the North Sea, not the Baltic

Image already added

Image already added

Just be aware that if you cruise with Regal/Royal Princess or NC Breakaway you will either berth

in Stockholm and will then have a much shortened day in port.

If you don't berth in Stockholm, you will berth at Nynäshamn which is one hour by bus or train from Stockholm.

There have been reports on this forum that NCL advertised as Stockholm but once final payments had been done

it was changed to Nynäshamn.